JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A neighobr got an rcbs kit and is needing to leaern realoading, 10mm in particlular.
I see powder valley has been having Titegroup on hand for a while, would that be a good powder choice ?
..at this point we think he'll be shooting coated or maybe plated bullets to keep costs down.
...he's just plate shooting for now so 'hot' loads;/powders not necessary.
thanks !

I just recently acquired 10mm into my reloading arsenal but have not reloaded any ammo yet. Generally I think of Titegroup as an economy powder (in that It takes less grains to yield roughly the same velocities). Looking at some other forum info, it seems to be a fairly quick burning powder and can cause pressure increases pretty rapidly for slight change in powder charge. Since it requires less powder to achieve the same results, it will not fill the case very much and this can lead to double charges if you're not diligent/careful while reloading. Some calibers prefer filled case volumes, not sure about 10mm. I'm likely going to use CFE Pistol as that is what I have on hand.

Here is link to some discussion about using Titegroup for 10mm: https://www.10mm-firearms.com/reloading-10mm-ammo/titegroup/

A neighobr got an rcbs kit and is needing to leaern realoading, 10mm in particlular.
I see powder valley has been having Titegroup on hand for a while, would that be a good powder choice ?
..at this point we think he'll be shooting coated or maybe plated bullets to keep costs down.
thanks !
6 grains of titegroup

6 grains of titegroup
It might be good to know the bullet selection weight as 6 grains is max load for 180 grain and overcharge by 0.7 grains for 200 grain (per Hodgdon reloading website).
Also, plated bullets normally should not be shot at maximum velocities (could use lead/cast bullet data) unless bullet manufacturer states otherwise.

For a beginning reloader, I would recommend a safe load that can't be double-charged.
In other words find a load whose powder charge fills the case to 70% full or so.
That way, an errant "double charge" will spill out and make it obvious that something is wrong.

Nosler is good at showing "load volume" in their load data.
Most manuals don't.
Here you go...

I've been running Titegroup or Winchester 244 with 180g plated and 180g jacketed, flat points, using midrange powder weight from Hodgdon and Lee load data. Really mild shooting target load. That's where I started and I've just kept it there since the loads shoot so well for me.
Also, TiteGroup and Win 244 seem to be available now (Win 244 more than TG). They meter the same and have similar load formulas.

I've been using Unique (7-8gr) and AA #9 (11-12gr), with 180gr FP (moly coated hard cast).
Will be going to HS-6 when I run out of those powders and 180 powder coated when I run out of the moly bullets.

Here is an excellent resource: http://10mm-reloaded.com/load_data/10mmAllPowders.html
@P7M13 - thanks for posting that.

It is the most detailed and comprehensive compilation of hand load data for one caliber I think I've ever seen.

Who published that?

I have been using Longshot powder in the 10MM for years, full power loads only, I see no need to load 40 short & weak loads in a 10MM.

Power Pistol is my go to for 10mm(and 9mm as well as .45acp) Clean, high velocity in any weight bullet. Hard to find right now but BE-86, which is supposedly Power Pistol with a flash suppressant is readily available lately. There are quite a few companies using it for their 10mm offerings.

What I have learned re: 10mm

As you are working up you loads keep an eye out for "Glock smile". OEM Glock barrels are notorious for this, but they will also show up in aftermarket barrels too. Only a little higher in pressure. I found this when I was comparing FMJ vs Plated loads.

thanks !
I've had great luck with 11.2 gr AA7 behind both Bayou and Blue bullets.

I missed this when you first posted it Mike. IF, I got into 10mm I'd consider nothing else but HS-6. I guess I should say, if not HS-6, use a powder with a similar burn rate as HS-6. Getting a heavy(er) bullet moving a slightly slower powder is more appropriate. (At least in my head) And if it's running in a longer barrel, 5"-6" there's plenty of time for a good complete burn.
And look!

It's Available!!

Yeah no kidding.! Nice find. So I am correct in assuming that the "LW" is for lone wolf barrel and the # following is the Recoil spring weight needed?
And that it appears they go straight from 20# to 24# I have a 22# in mine right now but looks like I need a 24# as my slide is trying to eat the frame a little.

Kind of shocked to see they use CCI primers so extensively. I was lucky enough to score a couple thousand Fed Gold Medal 150's.

I recently compared AA#9 to shooters world heavy because they are supposed to be so close (as SW claims) the AA did fair slightly better, but they were pretty close. I got pretty much bang on the same velocities they state in that link @P7M13 & @arrowshooter posted. 13.6gn with *fedGM150M* @ 1356 average with every now and then one hitting max around 1400 fps. Good accuracy *again* just barely less accurate than AA#9 no real extensive group testing though just a couple targets rested for load testing.

That's kinda interesting to hear about BE-86 being power pistol flash suppressed I'll have to look into that. My first loads I made up were 155/180/200gn with PP and its been a good 2 years since I've seen any Power Pistol. *But in my testing PP should be a staple on pretty much any pistol loaders bench. So versatile!*

Edited *

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews