JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Go for it! Just get close. And when you think you're close enough, get closer.

I've used a crescent wrench to drive a nail a time or two. It worked but wasn't ideal. A hammer is much better suited for the task. A used the wrench because I had no other choice. My guess is, you have other, better choices than a 10mm pistol.

I agree with everything my hunting has all but vanished cause of my wife's health I don't go far from home and as this will be my only weapon I thought maybe a 10mm just in case I had a chance to hunt but the more I think on it the more my joys will be short walks in the woods and at the gravel pit shooting I have found a Dan Wesson Vigil that is very nice I like it's clean lines vs the more tactical look of the RO Elite thanks for all your advise and as soon as I get it in my hands I'll post some pics have a great day and stay safe

Is it a cost thing that you are only getting one gun?

Would be way cheaper Ammo wise to buy a 9mm or .40 to use for CC,HD and plinking.

Then go buy an older 30-06 with a 3x9 scope for $300-$350 and sling that on your shoulder for hunting dear.

10mm is massively expensive to target shoot and not the best hunting cartridge.

just my 2¢

I agree with Joe.
A nice .22 will bring you hours of joy on a mere pittance and a couple of hundred bucks can get you into a good solid .30-30 lever action that is more than enough to drop pretty much anything in NA.
Put it all together and you're out less money than one 10mm pistol.

Dean

Well I got a 45acp cause it was a good deal brand new SA Range Officer I love it so thanks for all your thoughts I know people have hunted deer with that set up but I won't I may set it up to shoot 45 super but no hunting

If I had to in a pinch I'm sure my G20 would do the job but I would prefer a rifle to make it quick. The deer might prefer that as well. Not doubting anyone but while I trust 10mm to do its 10mm job a 30-06 is better suited for the purpose.

What do you guys think about deer hunting wit a 1911 10mm for deer within 100 yards probably much closer to 50 yards thanks

Many still see handgun hunting as an unethical stunt. Many of those same naysayers are astonished to see the accuracy an accomplished handgunner can wring out.

Most full power 10mm ammunition is rated to 1250 and 1300 fps with 200 and 180 grain bullets respectively. Such loads, at 100 yards, will still be moving just above 1,000 fps. This is within the expansion velocity envelope of modern expanding bullet designs for those who prefer expanding handgun bullets. These bullet weights and velocities are virtually identical to the 1880s ballistics of a Winchester 73 rifle in 38WCF or 44WCF. Both popular deer rifle rounds well into the 20th century.

For what its worth, check this out:

10mm Velocity and 100 yard shooting. Forward to frame 3:10

Last Edited:
The one problem I see with handgund and deer is handgun cartridges do not have the high velocity to smack a deer proficantly and drop it in it's tracks as well as a rifle does.
All the deer that I know of ran after being shot with good shots from a handgun with handgun calibers.
Now jump the handgun up to rifle calibers in the Thompson Center Contender or Thompson Center Encore platform things change. A deer hit with a 7mmTCU or a 243 or a 308 in a 15 inch Contender or Encore will be dead with the same shots
I quit useing handgun calibers for deer a few years ago and only carry a handgun for up close & personal shooting.

So can a 10mm 1911 kill a deer, Yes it can but not as effectivly as a fifle caliber will in a handgun.

...or a handgun caliber in a rifle....however, I see what you're getting at.
I think a bigger problem is the boo-lit.
Handgun bullets are rather light for the caliber and are designed to work at lower velocities, so they have to be built a little "softer" (more fragile).
If they were built like rifle bullets, your JHP would act like an FMJ, because it just doesn't have the "oomph" to get the bullet to expand.
It might be fun to try, just to try something different, if I HAD to choose one, between a 10mm or a .30-30, I'd take the .30-30.

Dean

The one problem I see with handgund and deer is handgun cartridges do not have the high velocity to smack a deer proficantly and drop it in it's tracks as well as a rifle does.
All the deer that I know of ran after being shot with good shots from a handgun with handgun calibers.
Now jump the handgun up to rifle calibers in the Thompson Center Contender or Thompson Center Encore platform things change. A deer hit with a 7mmTCU or a 243 or a 308 in a 15 inch Contender or Encore will be dead with the same shots
I quit useing handgun calibers for deer a few years ago and only carry a handgun for up close & personal shooting.

So can a 10mm 1911 kill a deer, Yes it can but not as effectivly as a fifle caliber will in a handgun.
I don't know... some "rifle caliber" rounds don't seem to perform optimally from shorter barrels ;) on the other hand, I'm building a 12" AR Pistol in 6.5 Grendel :rolleyes:

Keep your shots within the range you can put all shots in a 6" circle and stoke that baby up with 20O gr gold dots at 1200 fps and let her eat! Don't let the naysayer's tell you not to try it. I actually have thought of doing this out of my tree stand in a firearm restricted zone as they just allowed auto handguns .40 and up.

I hunted for years nearly exclusively with handguns. I didn't do it as any kind of a "stunt". I did it because I was a commercial fisherman, and they fit in my bunk way better than a rifle. I shot a LOT and had good eyes back then. I've never lost an animal, (with any method of hunting), but I've passed up more shots than I can remember, and came home empty handed WAY more times than not. As far as a 10mm goes...I have no idea how they'd do on game, but the ballistics look decent. As others have said; get close, then get closer, and be positive of your shot. I can tell you from experience though, a 44 Remington Magnum, loaded HOT, is NOT a very powerful cartridge when it comes to big game. Unless you hit a big bone, they will run.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top