JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New to reloading 10mm cartridge. Usually I use X-treme RN bullets for 45 acp. I was reading Western Powders load data and it does not have a listing for using copper plated round bullets (RN).

Can I use that manufactures copper plated bullets? Can I use RN bullets. Where else could I find load data that might reference the usage of that combo? Recommended weight for plinking?

Thanks

Speer lists their load data online and performance of the TMJ bullets have been great.
I like the 180g for .40, so I'd choose that same weight for 10mm if I was loading them.
Sounds fun!

Since you mention plinking and not anything concerning velocity or bullet expansion, etc... I can say AA#5 has been consistent for me with 9mm and both .40 and 10mm, using Western Powder's load data (I tend to stick low-to-mid-range on charge. I've used plated Rainier (165gr RNFP) with Western's load data as well as Nosler (135 and 150gr JHP). Nosler's load data is a bit lighter than Western's for those projectiles, so I think I went with that, but I'd start low anyway and work your way up until you're comfortable.

One bit of caution on Speer's load data... I'm a big fan of their projectiles and their factory ammo. But, when I used Speer's TMJ load data (at least on 165gr) in a .40 compact gun (3.75" barrel), it seemed a bit hot (to me) with AA#5, so I went back to the lower WP data.

Another thing - since you mention loading .45 and being new to 10mm, thought I'd mention one thing with the higher-pressure cartridges - you should be careful with bullet depth. I'd start towards the max side of SAAMI spec for COAL (10mm = 1.260) that will chamber in your gun. In my case, I settled in the 1.250-1.255 range.

Good luck

I have tried a lot of powders in the 10MM and now run Longshot with a 180 gr bullet as my main load.
Bluedot is great if you a fire ball when you pull the trigger.

A recent discovery in my own 10mm exploration, so far is both accurate & pleasant for range steel plates, using Berrys RN plated 155 & AutoComp low end load per Hodgdon data. And 1.260 OAL functions well in my Sig 220-10.

While I've found a number of 165 recipes that work well for feral bowling pins and roving falling plate racks, I don't care for the 180 loads so far. Except Sig factory defense 180 round, I don't seem to shoot them very well.

I did find a number of FNL 165 rounds that gave good paper groups.

Gradually I'm liking 10mm more & more.

My favorite 10mm load is 10.6 grains of blue dot and a Acme 200gr cast TCFP at 1.260 for 1300+ fps in a Glock 40 10mm hunter. I don't get why people can't stand the orange and blue flames to me thats the cool factor of the 10mm.

My favorite 10mm load is 10.6 grains of blue dot and a Acme 200gr cast TCFP at 1.260 for 1300+ fps in a Glock 40 10mm hunter. I don't get why people can't stand the orange and blue flames to me thats the cool factor of the 10mm.
I used to use heavy charges of Blue Dot in the 9mm, then went to Green Dot, then settled on Red Dot.. a long time ago.

I personally run 14.0 grains of AA#9 under an Extreme 180. But you have to make sure the Extreme bullet is HPCB which is a double plated bullet. You are toying with 1250 fps with this load. The standard Extreme bullet starts to come apart around 1200 per the company. Accurate load by the way. You are shooting a 10mm and not a 40. So speed is everything.

In olden times when the earth's crust was hot and IHMSA steel creatures ruled at 200 yards, we responded with handgun loads of 44 Mag pushing 1600fps and iron sights. It was a very fragile balance with pure ballistic power and Angstrom level accuracy requirements at the bare edge of personal tolerance for physical discomfort. In this Era I'm insisting physical comfort is satisfied. Max loads no longer part of my game plan.

Regarding COL. On the Western Powders tables it states the minimum COL, but not a maximum. What is the maximum on 10MM? I did not see it in SAAMI info either.

On .45 I ended up just measuring some store bought Blazer Brass and found it to be roughly 1.27. When reloading .45 I just split the difference and load them at 1.25 (min is 1.234).

Input?

Regarding COL. On the Western Powders tables it states the minimum COL, but not a maximum. What is the maximum on 10MM? I did not see it in SAAMI info either.

See above: 1.260" max SAAMI for 10mm. In my case, I settled in the 1.250-1.255 range because they seem to cycle fine in my gun. Might take some experimenting for best results in yours.

There's also 10mm Auto - Wikipedia for the 'short version' (on side panel).

If you want the nitty gritty details of all things SAAMI, you can go crazy here:
SAAMI Standards – SAAMI (the current pistol centerfire cartridge specs PDF is 198 pages!)

10mmfirearms is a good forum for all things 10mm (I've found, at least).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top