Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

10mm/40cal. interchangeable

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Oneil, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Oneil

Oneil Gresham Member

I've got a Glock 10mm that I love to shoot, the problem is that ammo is spendy and very scarce right now. I've always heard that the 40 cal. S&W is the exact same size bullet and shell dimension only shorter, and near as I can tell holding them side by side that's true. Could a guy fire the 40 cal. ammo safely for plinking in the 10mm much like you would .38 special rounds in a .357 mag revolver, or even .22 shorts in a .22 long rifle gun? I don't want to screw up my Glock but I would like to be able to do more practicing. Any of you guys got any help for me...Oneil

2. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

3. Oneil

Oneil Gresham Member

Thanks very much, it didn't cross my mind to Google this type of issue. In the future I'll head there first. On the surface it seemed like it might work, but it is definitely a poor idea...Oneil

4. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

Not a problem, I have this bad habit of giving people crap when they don't search...but it's all in good fun :p

I can't remember specifics, but I remember reading something like this on Glock talk...I think they make conversion barrels. Here's a good thread on THR about the conversion you're talking about:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=103607

Actually, here's a link to some conversion barrels:

http://lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

I almost think it'd be worth it to get into reloading with a 10mm. That way you can shoot downloaded plinking rounds but still be able to load the full house stuff.

Goodluck!

5. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

I think I hear an echo...looks like this thread was posted twice, both skud dusty and I gave similar replies, lol.

6. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

You can do it in a revolver that uses moon clips.

In a Glock...no, since it head spaces off the case mouth and not the rim. A conversion barrel would work.

7. bwells

bwells Longview Member

I don't have anything in 10mm, but I have a buddy that works at a convenience store that sells ammo. They've had the same two or three boxes of CCI 10mm on the shelf for about $15 a box. I figured it was one of the easier ones to find. I'll check it out tomorrow if I'm over that way.

8. ainokea

ainokea Mountlake Terrace, WA Member

You don't want to just load your Glock with 40s&w. Get a conversion barrel from lone wolf, it's just a drop in barrel and you can use your current magazines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI6TsAlicro

9. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

The G 20 that I had shot mostly 40s, in a drop in barrel. The 40 barrel not only let me shoot 40s but lead bullets as it had standard rifling. The 10mm mags work OK for 40s and the gun cycles them reliable also. Lone Wolf has several brands of barrels for this including their own (good people to do business with). While some Glock 20s will shoot 40s in the 10mm barrel it is not a good idea to do so. Bill

10. simpleguy

simpleguy Clackamas Active Member

Now that's the ticket, conversion barrel.