JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sorry to ask so many questions, but I know you all are a wealth of information.
What is the maximum range for a 16 inch barrel while still maintaining decent accuracy?
ie smaller than minute of pie plate.....

Thanks

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I know you all are a wealth of information.
What is the maximum range for a 16 inch barrel while still maintaining decent accuracy?
ie smaller than minute of pie plate.....

Thanks
I have a 16" green mountain barrel on mine and easily get <1 moa at 100 yards. I tested several ammo types yesterday and found the Federal HV Match 40gr the most accurate. More so that Stingers, Minimags, Velociters, or Fed value pack.
7711CAAB-A40D-4759-944A-3270D302DC63.jpeg

I can repeat 200y hits on a 6" plate with .22LR

Ammo has more to do with it than you'd imagine.

Now a 10/22, I'd push no more than 100y.

100 yards is the practical limit for my 10/22 as well. 200 yards is just like spraying a hose across the yard. Some rounds hit the target, most get lost.

The only upgrade I bought was the BX trigger, which was on sale at Brownell's last summer. The improvement in accuracy is negligible.

200 yards is just like spraying a hose across the yard
With a stock 10/22 yes, absolutely.

There are forum members here though who can attest to and back up my claim of accuracy at 200Y, but I don't use a 10/22.

I had an RO challenge me on this a month or two at the range. 'No sir, I'm not shooting AT the targets I'm SHOOTING the targets.'

I can repeat 200y hits on a 6" plate with .22LR

Ammo has more to do with it than you'd imagine.

Same. With a $100 Primary Arms fixed 6x scope to boot. Bolt action though. Using high velocity ammo variety. So much fun too!

As for 10-22s.

Control round feed or slower round feeding is the key to 22s extended range accuracy.

You can stick the tightest chamber in a 10-22 with the most expensive Rimfire ammo and have it perform poorly due to the forceful loading of the action dinging up the ammo as it feeds. Creating sporadic results.

I had a 10-22 rigged up nice that hit well at 220 yards with a target scope. It started to malfunction so I replaced it with a CZ 455 with the Manners stock. I have a 20 MOA rail and the same Leupold 6.5x20 scope. I need to get it broke in , only 50 down the pipe so far.

Was plinking a bit with my Tikka T1X 22LR after some accuracy testing and velocity testing this weekend. Hits on the steel spinner at 200 yards were about 80% or so. 300 yards was down to about 50% or so hit rate, but the wind was really dancing too.

our club hung a new dinger at 300 yards, so me being a guy who LOVES to make steel ring, I"ve been throwing rounds at it for about 2 weeks now. Stock rifle, did add bx trigger. Best so far with cheap 4x xcope and Auto Match ammo, 7 out of 10. It looks to be about a foot square, and with my cheap scope it's a challenge for sure. But fun !

IMG_6810.JPG

IMG_6811.JPG

What .22RF Ammunition is the most Accurate depends upon just which Rifle or Pistol or Revolver or Single Shot you are using. An old friend shot NRA Small Bore Hunter Pistol and used CCI Blaser "Match" for his T-C Contender. I guess he was doing something Right because he was the WA Champ for several years and also did VERY well in the National Matches.

My favorite Smith and Wesson Model 41 likes CCI Green Tag. It will put 10 rounds in a 3/8" at 50 meters from a Ransom Rest! I have Smith and Wesson Model 17s that also like that Ammo. So does my Winchester Model 67A. But other Guns, not so much.

I have been using CCI Target at 200 meters with both of my CZ's. Winchester hunting ammo has more power so it has less drop at 200 meters. My rifles don't like Federal of any kind. I have match ammo that so far has not been necessary when shooting at steel targets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top