JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The place we shoot was just shut down due to the losers that blow up tv's, toilets, microwaves, etc. I wish people had more respect for the others that want to shoot.

So we are looking for a new place to shoot out to 1k+ and min of 600 yards within an hour of Eugene. Any ideas??

I used to shoot at McGowan creek area.
I used to bring garbage bags to clean my trash and others trash.
I used to enjoy my trips.
Until they closed my spots due to the losers trashing the place.
What area got closed down?
I have decided to only shoot on private land at friends places. Unfortunately it's only for pistol ranges as my friends don't have a lot of property.
Try and get to know land owners. Do some work for them and ask to shoot on their land.

If the current trend continues, I dont see any shooting areas remaining opened around here.

The last time I went up to Fisk, I found this:

screenshot2013041816572.png

We didn't bring targets, just used what was laying around. When we were done we spent quite a while cleaning up but didn't even make a dent. The two of us had a few trash bags, and only a few hours before night time. We would have needed a dump truck, a group of people, and most likely a few days.
It's truly sad to see these places turning into nothing but trash dumps.

If you find a good spot, guard it and respect it. Whatever you do, do not post it online.

If the current trend continues, I dont see any shooting areas remaining opened around here...

If you find a good spot, guard it and respect it. Whatever you do, do not post it online.

Absolutely.

The two more well-known spots I know of and use out by Vernonia and Timber are absolutely trashed. It's embarrassing and unacceptable.

One idea:

We could have the Forest Service or BLM appoint one person as a volunteer ranger for each major shooting spot. Like the volunteer rangers they have in parks.

Of course, they could not be given the power to arrest or fine people for littering - nor would that be wise to try. But everyone would know that someone had an eye on that spot, watching license plates, and (potentially) phoning the forest service if he saw rules being violated. Similar approaches have helped in other "tragedy of the commons" cases.

This could be coupled with trail cams in the parking area. The volunteer ranger could potentially match up dumpers that way.

Btw, thanks to everyone here who has helped clean up shooting areas.

One idea:

We could have the Forest Service or BLM appoint one person as a volunteer ranger for each major shooting spot. Like the volunteer rangers they have in parks.

Of course, they could not be given the power to arrest or fine people for littering - nor would that be wise to try. But everyone would know that someone had an eye on that spot, watching license plates, and (potentially) phoning the forest service if he saw rules being violated. Similar approaches have helped in other "tragedy of the commons" cases.

This could be coupled with trail cams in the parking area. The volunteer ranger could potentially match up dumpers that way.

Btw, thanks to everyone here who has helped clean up shooting areas.

This idea could work. I think you would need to clean up the area first to start from square one. Then, using trail cams, cameras, in person observation it would be easy to tell if someone came and left trash. Then I would report them. Once word gets out that tickets are being issued then people will start policing their own trash.
Right now, some places are so trashed, that people don't think their little bit hurts anything, but it all adds up and gives the anti-gunner's and environmentalists more ammunition (no pun intended) to shut down more and more spots.

I think the spots up McGowan creek that got closed off were on private land (Weyerhauser?). I think they just got tired of it. I went up there earlier this year and found it had been closed. I had used this spot off and on for several years. Not any more.
D404443D-CF15-4F9E-8E98-FE6D851AB144-3127-00000414A616A573_zpsc3f0764e.jpg [/URL] 82A87CAA-B531-4EC6-B867-C8F68AD7824E-3127-00000414C3CC594E_zps422b55b5.jpg

Ok. Sorry if this turns into a rant, but I despise the people who shoot at signs and deface public property. This only adds fuel to the anti gunners fire. If you must shoot at metal, bring some cans/pots/scrap metal and take it back home with you.

I was born and raised down in Eugene and my Dad took me up McGowan creek to have fun plinking and shooting with him most of my life growing up. It is frustrating to see "my old areas" getting trashed. We always picked our trash up.

View attachment 141577

This idea could work. I think you would need to clean up the area first to start from square one. Then, using trail cams, cameras, in person observation it would be easy to tell if someone came and left trash. Then I would report them. Once word gets out that tickets are being issued then people will start policing their own trash.
Right now, some places are so trashed, that people don't think their little bit hurts anything, but it all adds up and gives the anti-gunner's and environmentalists more ammunition (no pun intended) to shut down more and more spots.

I think the spots up McGowan creek that got closed off were on private land (Weyerhauser?). I think they just got tired of it. I went up there earlier this year and found it had been closed. I had used this spot off and on for several years. Not any more.
D404443D-CF15-4F9E-8E98-FE6D851AB144-3127-00000414A616A573_zpsc3f0764e.jpg [/URL]

PM sent to Gran Poo Bah. ( i gots us a place, I gots us a place)
Hell- i would fund the game camera just to turn in,the idiots who cant act like grownups and end up ruining it for the rest of us. by leaving all there Krap in the woods. 82A87CAA-B531-4EC6-B867-C8F68AD7824E-3127-00000414C3CC594E_zps422b55b5.jpg

If the current trend continues, I dont see any shooting areas remaining opened around here.

The last time I went up to Fisk, I found this:

screenshot2013041816572.png

We didn't bring targets, just used what was laying around. When we were done we spent quite a while cleaning up but didn't even make a dent. The two of us had a few trash bags, and only a few hours before night time. We would have needed a dump truck, a group of people, and most likely a few days.
It's truly sad to see these places turning into nothing but trash dumps.

Wow... No wonder these type of places are getting shut down.

Took the motorcycle for a ride up Wolf Creek and down the Siuslaw River Road on Sunday. LOTS of closed/locked access points. Really sucks to see as the weather is getting nicer and I'd rather spend the $25 on ammo instead of a lane rental.

I'm about to be new to the Eugene/Springfield area, and would like to know where "Fisk" is. I have a couple of favorite shooting spots in the Grants Pass area that I am leaving behind as I prepare to relocate, and unfortunately one of them looks much like fisk. I find young people up there shooting across the road, and folks dump old matresses and console TVs up there and shoot them to pieces. That kind of behavior gives all of us a bad name, and creates more justification for closures of public land.

I am from that area and not sure where Fisk is either.
Is it time for a shoot and clean up gathering to get this area looking better?

I'm about to be new to the Eugene/Springfield area, and would like to know where "Fisk" is. I have a couple of favorite shooting spots in the Grants Pass area that I am leaving behind as I prepare to relocate, and unfortunately one of them looks much like fisk. I find young people up there shooting across the road, and folks dump old matresses and console TVs up there and shoot them to pieces. That kind of behavior gives all of us a bad name, and creates more justification for closures of public land.

I think fisk has been cleaned recently, went up there not too long ago for one of our quarterly machine gun shoots, wasn't too bad compared to how i have seen it before.

I just got access to an 1100 yard spot on private property and might be hosting invitational long range shoots with the crew i shoot MGs with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top