JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think the only big change to the design was increasing the capacity with the ParaOrdnance frames and those who made later versions. For those with large hands it was a viable option. For me, not so much. Other improvements were firing pin safety devices or titanium firing pins and stronger springs. These were to prevent discharge if dropped straight down on the muzzle. Personally, I think its an unnecessary addition for an unlikely event. Improved magazine follower design raised capacity from 7 to 8 plus one. For the most part, its a fine weapon as originally designed. I had a Series 70 with the collet barrel bushing. Never a problem and it was a very accurate pistol. Now my only 1911 is a WW2 veteran 1911A1. Its an original 1943 Colt with all the correct markings and parts. Carried but not abused in Europe by an average G.I. Joe. One of the few in my collection that I would not sell.

338.jpg

The 1911 is one hundred years old. While there have been advancements in manufacturing technology and accessories, I think firearms design has stagnated and all future designs are just variations of the basic pistol or revolver design. Lets face it, there is only so much you can do with a smokeless powder cased cartridge. The only thing truly revolutionary I have seen in the past few years is the metalstorm machine gun. I really don't think I will see any big changes in civilian weaponry if I am alive to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the 1911. If I am and I'm still able, I'll fire off 150 rounds of ammo to celebrate... :)

The 1911 was formally adopted by the Army on March 29, 1911. Maybe on March 29, 2011 we should all go out and fire 100 rounds in celebration and post videos to youtube or something under a common title like "Happy 100th birthday to the M1911 pistol" and then email the links to Congress.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top