JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I first seen this .22 rimfire ammunition a couple of weeks ago, so I had to order a brick and see just what this stuff is all about:

pkJoa1Bl.jpg

100 yards........and BEYOND, eh? Since I was a young lad I was always told that .22 Long Rifle ammunition will go 1½ miles if you're not careful. Well, never tried that and don't know how I'd ever find the bullet that ever made it that far. But, one thing I really like to do is test and experiment with any "new and improved" .22 rimfire ammunition that becomes available. I've been snafued a few times on what was advertised as ".22 wonder rounds", and I still wonder why they didn't perform as predicted. But, I still like to try this new-to-me stuff and see how my .22 rimfire guns like it, or don't.
For a .22 Long Rifle round that is touted to go "BEYOND", the projectile looks pretty much like all the other bullets that are stuffed into .22 Long Rifle brass:

oVaxObSl.jpg

Maybe there's a tiny jet engine in the base of these lead bullets that will boost 'em along and BEYOND. Well, anyway, I now have some of these and will soon see just what they'll do in a few of my .22 rimfire rifles at 45 yards before I go out any further.

Curious what the ballistics are on those.

Maybe do your comparison alongside some high velocity stuff. CCI, Aguila etc.

Well the advertised muzzle velocity is 1106 FPS. I plan to do some chronographing, if only to see for myself how accurate that really is. If we don't have an actual muzzle velocity as measured, it's not very easy to calculate all the other stuff one might want to know.

Some of the folks up in this area who shoot .22 rimfire silhouette at the 100 yard rams use standard velocity (1040 FPS, or so) ammunition to do that and claim good results. BEYOND could be another county over, so it will be interesting.
My range out back of my shop can go out to 250 yards safely, but I'm wondering if "first bounce or fly" will be allowed?

Bullet weight? I'm guessing 50gr. (Due to velocity quoted). Heavy would lend some stability as well. Interesting that it is not subsonic, as that is an often seen characteristic on the 100yd competitions.

Marketing. They can call it whatever they want. And they often call it by whatever name they think will sell to the specific market segment they are targeting.

I only go by non affiliated people's real-world shooting experience. For example you see some of the top eley match ammo as showing incredible results over and over. So if u are after very accurate long range ammo that is what I would buy.

While I cannot speak about the ammo in question , as I have not used it...

100 yards to 150 yards are distances , which I have shot and hit targets at with various .22 rifles.
A lot of practice and a bit of "holdover" and it can be done...especially if a case of beer is the bet....:D
Andy

Bullet weight? I'm guessing 50gr. (Due to velocity quoted). Heavy would lend some stability as well. Interesting that it is not subsonic, as that is an often seen characteristic on the 100yd competitions.

Nope! Bullet weight is 40 grains. Pretty common for .22 cartridges, and don't know of any currently weighing in at 50 grains. One thing that I do find curious though concerning velocities and how most all of the .22 rimfire ammunition manufacturers get their box and advertised velocities.

vNbIQbMl.jpg

Of all the .22 rimfire cartridge makers that I queried several years ago concerning what length rifle, or test barrels they use to get those velocities, all the American ammunition makers of .22 rimfire and several foreign makers provided the very same barrel lengths, 660mm or 26 inches. 660mm converts to 25.9842 inches. I have two .22 rimfire rifles, a CZ Lux and a Winchester 67A, that have barrels 27 inches long and those two are what I use to verify box and advertised velocities once measured over my Oehler 35 P chronograph:

N3Lhhscl.jpg

That's quite a big different than what one person on another firearms site swears .22 rimfire barrels are most efficient at 16 inches.

"don't know of any currently weighing in at 50 grains. "

You might be right toward current offerings, but I sure have a pile of 50gr leftovers from my Rimfire Silhouette days.

Having myself stretched out the 22LR the biggest factor one can control is consistency of the ammo. Perhaps SK ammo is good in that respect. About any 22LR will shoot out past 100 yards, but to get the same velocity (bullet drop) is another thing.

Having myself stretched out the 22LR the biggest factor one can control is consistency of the ammo. Perhaps SK ammo is good in that respect. About any 22LR will shoot out past 100 yards, but to get the same velocity (bullet drop) is another thing.

The allegation has always been that a .22 Long Rifle round will go 1½ miles. That's 2,640 yards, so yes, a .22 Long Rifle round should indeed go out past 100 yards. But, like the above videos prove, accuracy is not there, unless they are just trying to hit a HUGE building. ;)

Then these are even more collectable!

60 grain .22 LR's!
Aguila SSS Sniper SubSonic
Those Aquila r widely available incl at sportsman's warehouse. They r pretty inaccurate 4 me and like all Aquila r stinky. I haven't shot enough of them to see about cleanliness. I have some Aguila super maximum and their other highest velocity one (can't remember name) which I have yet to try. Would like to try both of those against cci velocitor and stinger just for fun.

Two things that come to mind when talking about long range is this particular instance.

1) Bullet stability. If the Bullet is traveling at supersonic speed at the muzzle, it very well may drop back to subsonic prior to reaching the target. When this happens in flight, the bullet may become destabilized and start to tumble. When this happens, all bets of any type of accuracy are off the table. If it remains stable, then it's just a matter of compensating for trajectory including wind drift for the most part.

2) If the bullet exits the barrel below the speed of sound (subsonic), it avoids the turbulence of breaking and then dropping back down through the sound barrier. These could easily be described as "long range" in regards to bullet stability and its ability to accurately hit targets beyond 100yds.

It is my understanding that there are longer .22lr barrels designed to slow down the bullets to subsonic velocities prior to exiting the barrel itself. This theoretically could also make for more accurate and consistent hits on target down range.

I thought it sounded crazy when I first heard/read about it, but apparently it's a "thing".

Last Edited:
Those Aquila r widely available incl at sportsman's warehouse. They r pretty inaccurate 4 me and like all Aquila r stinky. I haven't shot enough of them to see about cleanliness. I have some Aguila super maximum and their other highest velocity one (can't remember name) which I have yet to try. Would like to try both of those against cci velocitor and stinger just for fun.

You're absolutely correct, on both counts! The "fugly" 60 grain Aguila subsonic rounds, loaded in a .22 Short cartridge case, are sold everywhere, I think even at Walgreen's. :) So, by NO means are those rare, unless maybe someone just arrived in this country from a cave in Siberia and only has seen them in the last three days.
The reason those rounds are very inaccurate involves the length of the bullet itself and the very long "bearing surface" involved, will not stabilize the bullets properly in a 1:16 barrel twist. Many will even "key-hole" on target. It might be better if one could find a .22 rimfire barrel with a faster twist rate, like maybe 1:14 or so. But, if anyone thinks those might be collectible, buy as many as your weekly allowance will bring. :p
There are several brands of .22 rimfire whereby the burnt gunpowder comes off as, like you mention, "stinky". So, not being rare and then stinky, I'd recommend anybody from Siberia pass on buying any, or use a "clothespin". x8URxr4.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top