JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In my travels to the PRK I always pack a pair of 1911s or a single with a big revolver, and ether my Sporterised K-31 or my sporty 1903 Springfield! I never feel out gunned, or under gunned this way, easy enough to do, and get around their stupid draconian laws!

The California Highway Patrol does follow people from CA-plated cars into border state gun shows to see what they buy; and arrest them when they cross back into CA with certain items
How is that not operating outside of their area of jurisdiction? Is it not even a thing CHIPs needs to worry about anymore?
Smells illegal as hell to me... o_O

Last Edited:
Looking to hear from those who have lived in or otherwise dealt with States that had 10+ round mag bans.

Was it legal for you to modify higher capacity mags down to 10 rnd capacity. If so what type of modifications did you do to limit capacities?

If the State grandfathered previously owned 10+ mags was it legal to use them while carrying?

What was the method used to determine the capacity of a magazine?
Nationwide 1994-2004. Those were the dark times. Very dark. Couldn't even get a banana clip for a 10/22.

How is that not operating outside of their area of jurisdiction? Is it not even a thing CHIPs needs to worry about anymore?
Smells illegal as hell to me... o_O
There are ways to do it, but it's kind of complicated. I've been deputized by the US Marshal's to work across state lines. There are some situations where MOUs or mutual aid agreements are in place. I'm not sure if any of that is necessary if it's purely investigative and no attempt to arrest occurs until they are back in CA.

A police officer can do everything any other citizen could do in the other state, observe public areas, follow people through a gun show, etc. If they wanted to exercise governmental authority in that other jurisdiction certain other arrangements or circumstances must be satisfied.

The price of 10 round mags go up drastically lol ! A Beretta 92 15-17 round mag $20 a ten round mag about $49
As with everything supply vs demand. With more and more gun owners lining up to support the mag bans the supply of 10 round mags will of course start to ramp up. When it does the price will of course drop. I guess the way this is going I will have to start watching the places that tend to have them on sale and start buying some 10 round Glock Mags for my PCC's

Thanks looks like pretty close to as low as they go. Will look around a little and if I do not find better will try them. Will miss my happy sticks :(
I've bought several dozen mags off these guys for my SIGs and 1911s. They get a decent sales every so often if you sign up for the notification emails

I've bought several dozen mags off these guys for my SIGs and 1911s. They get a decent sales every so often if you sign up for the notification emails
Thanks, just looked at CDNN and they have them right now too. A LOT of the mags I have came from them. They must buy train car loads at a time since every so often they have nice sales on them. Looks like a lot of people are going to be needing some :( Have to hope at least when they get around to hosing us here they will give a chance to get rid of the pile I have so I can get some of the cash back out of them. :mad:

when they get around to hosing us here they will give a chance to get rid of the pile I have so I can get some of the cash back out of them. :mad:
Boating accident.JPG

I left California in 2018.
Hicap" magazines owned before the SB23 ban went into effect 1/1/2000, were grandfathered in. BUT…
LEOs could confiscate them as a nuisance. I never saw that happen or knew anyone who knew personally of it happening. I can't answer about " hi cap" mags in carry guns because getting a CCW in the Bay Area was impossible. There was no law preventing use of a grandfathered hicap in a registered AW or in a non-aw rifle like an M1A, Mini-14 or SU-16. Of course they had no way to say a magazine was post-ban unless it had a date stamped on it or it was for a gun released after Y2K, like the XD.
Then Judge Benitez made the Freedom Week and by extension, he legalized every magazine snuck into California since 2000. I should add that We also had hicap magazine repair kits to fix broken grandfathered mags before Judge Benitez' ruling. Those kits consisted of a mag body, spring, Floor plate and follower.;) Perfectly legal in kit form, but illegal to build into a magazine, not that that stopped anyone.
Some folks riveted those mags to hold 10 rounds. hence, the 10/20 or 10/30 mags so your bullet-button AR could still look like it was real.

The CA Dept. of Justice was indeed stalking the Big Reno gun show in the early 2000ss and tracking folks buying arm loads of magazines. If they had CA plates, they were nailed at the border at check station, well within the CA border. A particular agent Ignatius(Iggy) Chin (IIRC) was supposed to be ramrodding these stings. They also used to stake out fireworks shops in places like Pahrump NV and bust cars at the Ag check stations on I-15 at the border. Iggy lost that jog after blowing a hole in his desk at the DOJ and last I heard of him he was an Oakland cop.
I went to the NRA Annual meeting in Reno back in 2002. Dealers all over Reno were asking for ID's and denying sales to folks with CA licenses. "We don't want to get sued." was the answer I got when I asked. I figured things out and from that point, I identified as Benjamin Franklin, with picture ID and that opened the doors to some purchases:D

So now this case Duncan v Bonta moves on to the Supreme court. 23 years after that law was passed and we still are fighting it.
Justice delayed..

Hawaii has an Assault Pistol ban that also forbids any magazine of over 10 rounds capacity that could/might be used in an assault pistol. Conveniently.....that would cover the AR15 magazine. Yeah, remember the "Bushmaster Pistol".

Bottom line : By law and definition. The "rifle" AR15 magazine has to be blocked (or modified) to 10 rounds or less capacity.

Has anyone been convicted for possession?

I got no idea.

That being said....some, internet sellers just flat out refuse to sell ANY magazine with a capacity of over 10 rounds to a Hawaii resident (no matter if pistol or rifle).

YEAH, Yeah, yeah.....
No need to say/mention anything about the LEO exception clause.

Aloha, Mark

PS......YES. Another reason why I no longer live in Hawaii.
Same here bro left last year. I had a heard time taking my firearms into the police station to get registered. Side note I have bought many a rifle mag there but you'd be really hard pressed to find a pistol mag over 10 rounds at any legal outlet.

"Lindley said he attended this year's Reno show as an observer for Brady United.

Up to half of the cars in the parking lot, he said, had California plates, adding that undercover law enforcement was also on hand."

Sounds like CA DoJ gets assistance from the Brady Gun Control Group.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top