JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking to hear from those who have lived in or otherwise dealt with States that had 10+ round mag bans.

Was it legal for you to modify higher capacity mags down to 10 rnd capacity. If so what type of modifications did you do to limit capacities?

If the State grandfathered previously owned 10+ mags was it legal to use them while carrying?

What was the method used to determine the capacity of a magazine?

Lived in CA until 2002, also lived through the 90's AWB. Mags during the AWB had to be marked "For Law Enforcement Use Only". Anything already existing was grandfathered.

CA had (has) no way of enforcing it. People would buy them out of state all the time.

When it comes to state law they are often written by idiots. So then its a real mess. Many, and I do mean MANY who live where these are a no go just keep some anyway. Of course the risk with this is if you get some DA after you for something else they may try to make an example out of you. So for those who do this, hey its their freedom to push the line.
As for "modifying" an existing mag to make it "10 round" again it would depend on not only how any new law was written but how those in charge decide to enforce it. You could easily have multiple people in the enforcement contradicting each other. If the person with the mags ends up in front of a black robe the black robe can make up anything they want. Then its up to the person in trouble to pay to fight. So there is not "good answer" to this. When the state you are in decides to pass another law you will have to decide what you want to do at that point.

The California Highway Patrol does follow people from CA-plated cars into border state gun shows to see what they buy; and arrest them when they cross back into CA with certain items . Not every day, but it happens. There are also many people there who ignore the laws or who aren't even aware of them. There is uncertainty in CA over which types of limiting blocks are compliant. Rivets? High temp epoxy?

The California Highway Patrol does follow people from CA-plated cars into border state gun shows to see what they buy; and arrest them when they cross back into CA with certain items . Not every day, but it happens. There are also many people there who ignore the laws or who aren't even aware of them. There is uncertainty in CA over which types of limiting blocks are compliant. Rivets? High temp epoxy?
Nice to see ALL the other crimes in CA have been solved and completely eradicated. Must be a lot of officers with some free time on their hands now.

Hawaii has an Assault Pistol ban that also forbids any magazine of over 10 rounds capacity that could/might be used in an assault pistol. Conveniently.....that would cover the AR15 magazine. Yeah, remember the "Bushmaster Pistol".

Bottom line : By law and definition. The "rifle" AR15 magazine has to be blocked (or modified) to 10 rounds or less capacity.

Has anyone been convicted for possession?

I got no idea.

That being said....some, internet sellers just flat out refuse to sell ANY magazine with a capacity of over 10 rounds to a Hawaii resident (no matter if pistol or rifle).

YEAH, Yeah, yeah.....
No need to say/mention anything about the LEO exception clause.

Aloha, Mark

PS......YES. Another reason why I no longer live in Hawaii.

Last Edited:
The people doing the following into Reno and then following them back to Calif and arresting them most likely are not CHP. If true, the agency most responsible for this is the Department of Justice, Division or Bureau of Investigations. They are all plainclothes investigators, unmarked vehicles of various types. I don't believe that this is happening because I haven't heard of any such court cases from the various gun groups I'm get newsletters from.

But I wouldn't be surprised that something like this could happen.

The people doing the following into Reno and then following them back to Calif and arresting them most likely are not CHP. If true, the agency most responsible for this is the Department of Justice, Division or Bureau of Investigations. They are all plainclothes investigators, unmarked vehicles of various types. I don't believe that this is happening because I haven't heard of any such court cases from the various gun groups I'm get newsletters from.

But I wouldn't be surprised that something like this could happen.
True, could be Cal DoJ.

They don't exactly follow them, They record the license plates and stop them at the fruit inspection stations located just inside CA!
I used to go to the Las Vegas and Reno Gun Shows. I would leave my car at the motel and take a cab to the show. The cab ride cost about what the parking cost so that was a wash. DR

CA law says permanently blocked to accept 10 rounds or less! They don't say what permanently means , So it would be up to a judge to interpret. I would bet a screw would not be permanent enough!
Ca has passed a law making possession of any mag over 10 rounds a crime. and that includes those formerly grandfathered in. It was blocked by the courts while awaiting a reading by the appeals court. The other day the 9th Circus cleared the way for CA to implement this again.
When the law first passed I moved a safe and several guns to a friends house out of CA to keep them out of jeopardy.
The guns I kept here are revolvers, 1911's, and recently a Shield. None are over 10 round mags.
Where I live the 5 round revolver is fine, But if I lived in LA, or San Francisco , or for that matter Portland, Seattle, etc...Capacity might mean more to me! A crew served belt fed weapon might not be enough! DR

They don't exactly follow them, They record the license plates and stop them at the fruit inspection stations located just inside CA!
I used to go to the Las Vegas and Reno Gun Shows. I would leave my car at the motel and take a cab to the show. The cab ride cost about what the parking cost so that was a wash. DR
With the license plate reader technology they have these days, they could do this pretty easily. One car at Gun Show and a plate reader at checkpoint. Software could likely alert fruit police to who was at gun show parking lot.

There is a defense attorney who has had clients prosecuted in CA. He said the investigators followed his clients inside the gun show. Multiple cases.
I have never seen them follow someone inside the show. But I have seen a CHP car using a plate scanner in the parking lot to record license plates. And I have seen them single out cars for secondary inspection that had been to the show.
Following them inside could mean followed them into the parking lot. Or the State had some reason to be following them. [ they were watching them for prior bad acts]. DR

CA law says permanently blocked to accept 10 rounds or less! They don't say what permanently means , So it would be up to a judge to interpret. I would bet a screw would not be permanent enough!
Ca has passed a law making possession of any mag over 10 rounds a crime. and that includes those formerly grandfathered in. It was blocked by the courts while awaiting a reading by the appeals court. The other day the 9th Circus cleared the way for CA to implement this again.
When the law first passed I moved a safe and several guns to a friends house out of CA to keep them out of jeopardy.
The guns I kept here are revolvers, 1911's, and recently a Shield. None are over 10 round mags.
Where I live the 5 round revolver is fine, But if I lived in LA, or San Francisco , or for that matter Portland, Seattle, etc...Capacity might mean more to me! A crew served belt fed weapon might not be enough! DR
Oregon IP17 would grandfather in previously owned 10+ mags but possession of grandfathered mags will only be allowed in certain places. I need to do a deep dive into the language but I don't think they addressed whether modifications to limit capacity on 10+ mags will be allowed or how they will determine capacity of a magazine. I suspect that will be left up to LEOs, DAs, judges and juries to decide.

If IP17 passes I would recommend carrying factory 10rnd mags because there will likely be close scrutiny of mags used for self defense shootings in public spaces.

Oregon IP17 would grandfather in previously owned 10+ mags but possession of grandfathered mags will only be allowed in certain places. I need to do a deep dive into the language but I don't think they addressed whether modifications to limit capacity on 10+ mags will be allowed or how they will determine capacity of a magazine. I suspect that will be left up to LEOs, DAs, judges and juries to decide.

If IP17 passes I would recommend carrying factory 10rnd mags because there will likely be close scrutiny of mags used for self defense shootings in public spaces.
Here is IP17 description of magazines.

"
(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or
similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an
overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition
and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload, but does not include any of the following:"

Even though I am an Orygun resident, I have made it a policy to have 10 round factory mags for each of my guns that typically have mags with more than 10 round capacities. This way I can, if I desire, take these guns into those locales where the larger capacities are banned. The mags - mostly SIG - are usually readily apparent to be 10 round capacity; they have the lower part of the mag chopped off and replaced with a plastic block:
mag-226-9-10.jpg

Even though I am an Orygun resident, I have made it a policy to have 10 round factory mags for each of my guns that typically have mags with more than 10 round capacities. This way I can, if I desire, take these guns into those locales where the larger capacities are banned. The mags - mostly SIG - are usually readily apparent to be 10 round capacity; they have the lower part of the mag chopped off and replaced with a plastic block:
View attachment 1081948
Smart policy and I am going to do the same. Yesterday I picked up some 10rnd M&P 9mm mags for my two M&P full size pistols. I am now going to keep an eye out for 10rnd mags to fit my other pistols.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top