JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My ARS had the coating on the feed ramps and so far has made no difference.

As with all autos not everyone has a problem from the start. Many just start working from the first round. Others will need some "break in" before they settle in. Both of my ASR's needed some. The 9mm took a couple boxes before it started to just churn. The .45 only a couple mags and has never hung again. It's not just the feed ramp that can cause this. Anything that moves in an auto will often need to smooth out. The ramp is just one obvious place to start if needed. When I was thinking about buying the first one of these since I could not find one to shoot or even handle I was reading a lot of reviews. A LOT of them were having some problems when the guns were new. I suspect this was both the ramp with Parkerizing all over it and those mags they send with them. Those after market mags are the same story. No doubt many get one and it works. They probably wonder what others are talking about when they say theirs will not work. It's nice that TNW is now having someone there give a nice polish to the ramps (there are two on these) on these now before they even leave the plant.

I'm pretty sure my YouTube vids are still up on their account from when I did the earlier tests on the first 10mm I put together when working there. About 200 feet per second faster on average.

The gun has a safety feature machined into the bolt and barrel. I.e. The bolt goes into the barrel a bit before meeting the chamber, from what I was told, it helps with out of chamber detonation. Unlike most blowback operated pistol cal there is a simple ramp and a flat face bolt to the chamber. This rifle had a two tier ramp so to say. The shorter cartridges tended to get caught up on the second lip on the top side of the pre-chamber area causing a fail to feed.

Older models had hand filed laser cut extractors which weren't the greatest, before I left they were having a Swiss, or somewhere fancy, company make them. Night and day difference was made on extractions.

Then I talked them into the relief cuts on the extraction ports. Before, earlier models had a flat faced extraction port, causing the spent cartridge to swing around in the extractor, hit a flat wall, then go right back into the action. Having the 110, or whatever angle was finally decided, aided in allowing the cartridge to fully swing around and it of the action before bouncing away from the gun.

It looks like these guys have been refining their product even more since I left. Glad to see them doing good and getting better.

I'm pretty sure my YouTube vids are still up on their account from when I did the earlier tests on the first 10mm I put together when working there. About 200 feet per second faster on average.

The gun has a safety feature machined into the bolt and barrel. I.e. The bolt goes into the barrel a bit before meeting the chamber, from what I was told, it helps with out of chamber detonation. Unlike most blowback operated pistol cal there is a simple ramp and a flat face bolt to the chamber. This rifle had a two tier ramp so to say. The shorter cartridges tended to get caught up on the second lip on the top side of the pre-chamber area causing a fail to feed.

Older models had hand filed laser cut extractors which weren't the greatest, before I left they were having a Swiss, or somewhere fancy, company make them. Night and day difference was made on extractions.

Then I talked them into the relief cuts on the extraction ports. Before, earlier models had a flat faced extraction port, causing the spent cartridge to swing around in the extractor, hit a flat wall, then go right back into the action. Having the 110, or whatever angle was finally decided, aided in allowing the cartridge to fully swing around and it of the action before bouncing away from the gun.

It looks like these guys have been refining their product even more since I left. Glad to see them doing good and getting better.

Sounds like you had a positive experience there? I seem to recall another member here that worked for them at one point that didn't have much love for the company.

Sounds like you had a positive experience there? I seem to recall another member here that worked for them at one point that didn't have much love for the company.
Might have been me. Interesting place to work to say the least. I try to look at my time there positively these days. I had fun, learned a lot about the industry, saw what not to do, and I'm chalking up as an experience. PM me if you want to know more.

Thanks that is some great info. I had wondered about the "odd" looking chamber with the double ramps and why they did that. Now it makes sense. I know all autos are different especially at break in. So far the 3 ASR's I have had any shooting with did not like the mags they send with them. On the 9mm one of mine I did not care since I have lots of Glock. I did want the .45 one to work since all I have is 13rnd mags. I tried it again a while ago now that the gun has a good amount of use. It still went right back to 5 or 6 shots and jam so I gave up. I really feel TNW is not helping themselves sending out these mags. They would be money ahead to just send a real Glock mag.
Got a confirmation today that my new forearm is on the way along with the rest of the parts for 10mm. I spent some extra to have a complete 10mm drop in. So that when I want to shoot it I can swap from .45 to 10mm in seconds at the range if I want. Sure looking forward to trying it. Some ammo is also on the way. :)

Thanks that is some great info. I had wondered about the "odd" looking chamber with the double ramps and why they did that. Now it makes sense. I know all autos are different especially at break in. So far the 3 ASR's I have had any shooting with did not like the mags they send with them. On the 9mm one of mine I did not care since I have lots of Glock. I did want the .45 one to work since all I have is 13rnd mags. I tried it again a while ago now that the gun has a good amount of use. It still went right back to 5 or 6 shots and jam so I gave up. I really feel TNW is not helping themselves sending out these mags. They would be money ahead to just send a real Glock mag.
Got a confirmation today that my new forearm is on the way along with the rest of the parts for 10mm. I spent some extra to have a complete 10mm drop in. So that when I want to shoot it I can swap from .45 to 10mm in seconds at the range if I want. Sure looking forward to trying it. Some ammo is also on the way. :)

So, what is this new forearm you're referring to?

So, what is this new forearm you're referring to?

AR15 SHROUD ADAPTER FOR ASR
Here's a link, hope it works. If not just go to their site and look at accessories. A while back I had seen a shroud they make but it looks to me watching the video like it makes it so the barrel will not just come off after. Then someone here mentioned this and it does allow the barrel to just unscrew still. As soon as I get mine installed I will put up a shot of it. Looks like it should work great.

AR15 SHROUD ADAPTER FOR ASR
Here's a link, hope it works. If not just go to their site and look at accessories. A while back I had seen a shroud they make but it looks to me watching the video like it makes it so the barrel will not just come off after. Then someone here mentioned this and it does allow the barrel to just unscrew still. As soon as I get mine installed I will put up a shot of it. Looks like it should work great.

Interesting. Looks like another item for the 'want' list.

Interesting. Looks like another item for the 'want' list.

LOL, as soon as I saw it that's the first thing I thought. I had planed on waiting a while to order it. The only reason I pulled the trigger now is I'm cheap. When I bought the 10mm set up I had intended to make a complete drop in set up. It's a pain to convert one of these with just the bare min parts. So I wanted to just have a complete set up to drop in. When I ordered them I forgot 2 parts that cost less than the cost to ship them. For some reason they (TNW) wanted over $20 bucks to ship like $22 in parts. So I thought what the hell, just buy the forearm now. When I ordered it they said 5 or 6 weeks. Then today I got the info that it shipped. So happy dance for me. Parts will probably be here before the ammo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top