JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I am getting the new single action Ruger Blackhawk conversion revolver with the 10 mm cylinder and 40 S&W cylinder. I don't reload the 40 yet but have reloaded the 10 mm for my auto pistols. I use the Lee FCD and this works great for my 10 mm auto's. The Blackhawk does not use moon clips and head spaces in the cylinder on the case mouth. I wonder if the ammo I have reloaded with the FCD for my autos will work OK in the revolver. I don't have the revolver yet and I can't test plop one in a cylinder. The FCD is more taper crimp, do I need to roll crimp with the seating die for revolver loads.

Yeah, I have a lot of reloaded 10mm for my autos and they have all been done with the Lee FCD for the autos. I guess I should just buy a seating die and set it up for roll crimping my revolver rounds. This way I don't need to adjust the die each time for auto or pistol. I also guess when it shows up I can try my auto loads and see.

I use the same set up to load 10s and 40s, it just takes adjustment. Your ammo should work in the revolver but if it's a heavy load you may have to crimp it because the bullets will pull in recoil. I use taper crimp and never had a bullet pull as I shoot but I don't hot load

The absolute minimum crimp should be used when Reloading a Rimless cartridge for use in a Revolver and a Taper Crimp isn't recommended at all. The Problem is that the cartridge is NOT designed to headspace on the mouth of the case. The Impact of the firing pin/hammer can drive the case into the chamber, which can cause a misfire or a possible hangfire. If you read the manual it is likely to say something like "Factory Standard Pressure Ammunition ONLY!!!".

Personally, I don't see any point to the whole thing.

The absolute minimum crimp should be used when Reloading a Rimless cartridge for use in a Revolver and a Taper Crimp isn't recommended at all. The Problem is that the cartridge is NOT designed to headspace on the mouth of the case. The Impact of the firing pin/hammer can drive the case into the chamber, which can cause a misfire or a possible hangfire. If you read the manual it is likely to say something like "Factory Standard Pressure Ammunition ONLY!!!".

Personally, I don't see any point to the whole thing.
This ^^^

So there's "half-moon clip" and non half moon clip setup.
I would think that with the non setup, the cart would have to headspace on the case mouth, which means trimmed cases and a minimal crimp. More like FCD type crimp.

Your Lee FCD should be a taper crimp type set up for the 10mm. Don't roll crimp an auto/rimless cartridge as they headspace off case length. You shouldn't have any issues using your FCD die on 10mm loads in your Blackhawk revolver.

Roll crimping is for bullets with a cannelure (crimp groove). Most .40/10mm bullets do not have a cannelure, so they are designed for a taper crimp.

Being a taper crimp design your FCD probably can not be set up to crimp too much on the 10mm cartridge. You should have no problem getting enough taper crimp on the loaded cartridges to keep the bullets in place under heavy recoil.

I had a S&W 610 that I loaded for and used a taper crimp with zero problems and no moon clips either. Just sucked using a tool to poke the spent brass out of the cylinder. Your Blackhawk should be perfect since it has an ejector rod already on the gun.;)

OK, I am getting the new single action Ruger Blackhawk conversion revolver with the 10 mm cylinder and 40 S&W cylinder. I don't reload the 40 yet but have reloaded the 10 mm for my auto pistols. I use the Lee FCD and this works great for my 10 mm auto's. The Blackhawk does not use moon clips and head spaces in the cylinder on the case mouth. I wonder if the ammo I have reloaded with the FCD for my autos will work OK in the revolver. I don't have the revolver yet and I can't test plop one in a cylinder. The FCD is more taper crimp, do I need to roll crimp with the seating die for revolver loads.
You won't need a roll crimp with this set up because you are using a rimless cartridge that headspaces on the case mouth. If the 10mm ammo you have is within specs and fits and fires in your auto it should fit and fire in your Blackhawk with a taper crimp. Those cylinders you are getting are designed to use a rimless auto cartridge just like your auto pistols.

Ages ago a friend was going to buy a Blackhawk in 38-40 and 10mm, but missed out by not ordering early enough. I thought it was an interesting combo, but I was really interested in the 38-40 part.
I, too, would rather have a 41 Mag than a 10mm, but I ain't everybody! The downside to the 41 Mag is no lower power rounds. Yeah, most 41 shooters are reloaders and can tailor their loads, but for the ones who aren't, this dual cylinder gun might be the ticket.
Ruger Blackhawks are single action revolvers and there is no way to use a moon clip of any kind as they are single round loaded and unloaded thru the loading gate. These guns MUST headspace on the case mouth just like an autoloader and don't have an extractor to help in the instance of an out of spec case.
Personally I see a greater "need" for a small 9mm double action revolver where full moon clips can be used as a speedloader and the gun has the advantage of the development that has gone into the 9mm in the last handful of years.

Ages ago a friend was going to buy a Blackhawk in 38-40 and 10mm, but missed out by not ordering early enough. I thought it was an interesting combo, but I was really interested in the 38-40 part.
I, too, would rather have a 41 Mag than a 10mm, but I ain't everybody! The downside to the 41 Mag is no lower power rounds. Yeah, most 41 shooters are reloaders and can tailor their loads, but for the ones who aren't, this dual cylinder gun might be the ticket.
Ruger Blackhawks are single action revolvers and there is no way to use a moon clip of any kind as they are single round loaded and unloaded thru the loading gate. These guns MUST headspace on the case mouth just like an autoloader and don't have an extractor to help in the instance of an out of spec case.
Personally I see a greater "need" for a small 9mm double action revolver where full moon clips can be used as a speedloader and the gun has the advantage of the development that has gone into the 9mm in the last handful of years.
I'm with you on this one...
The only 9mm revolvers available are short barreled/fixed sights guns, or over priced "performance center" race guns.
I've been waiting a long time for Ruger/Smith/? to offer a 9mm revolver with at least a 5" barrel and adjustable sights...a range gun :)
With the price/availability of 9mm ammo, I'm sure it would appeal to shooters who already have a 9mm slab sided/brass chucking auto.
:D
Edit: so what does Ruger introduce...a Super Red Hawk in 10mm and a SP101 in 357:rolleyes:
I'd even settle for a SP101 9mm with moon clips:eek:

Last Edited:
I had a S&W 610 that I loaded for and used a taper crimp with zero problems and no moon clips either. Just sucked using a tool to poke the spent brass out of the cylinder

I've been loading/shooting both 40 & 10 for over a decade. Full moon clips in my 610 with no issues at all. Don't understand the quote above.

I use the very same load for both auto & 610. Perhaps something I've overlooked, yet thousands of rounds without abnormal symptoms.

The downside to the 41 Mag is no lower power rounds. Yeah, most 41 shooters are reloaders and can tailor their loads,

non issue IMHO
the 41 mag begs for understanding and love from their reloader buddies;
on the other hand...wait...what other hand is needed?

If you love to shoot the 41 mag, consider that adequate reason to launch your reloading hobby.

If you love to shoot the 41 mag, consider that adequate reason to launch your reloading hobby.

It most certainly was. A 4 5/8" New Model Blackhawk, to be exact, back in the late 80s or very early 90s. I don't have the gun, but I still have the Lyman press and Lee dies I bought!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top