JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

My Ruger SP101 needed a new holster. My philosophy before buying anything is 1. Do I need it? 2. Can I make it?

Since leather holsters generally start in the $45 range, with the majority being closer to $80, I thought I'd give making it a shot.

I have zero experience working with leather of any sort. Not wanting to waste my money on expensive material to have it all go to waste I decided to pick up some scrap leather at the local cobbler and do a test run.

Material:

Scrap Leather from cobbler - $3
Waxed Thread - $7 (I used 1/20th of the spool so actual cost here is closer to $0.35)
Large Needle (I had one on hand but they can be picked up for less than $1)
Neatsfoot Oil (I had some on hand but a bottle is about $4, I used 1/10 of a bottle for $0.40)
Beeswax (Not sure of the cost here. I've had a brick laying around for forever)
Leather Dye (I made my own using steel wool and vinegar - about $0.30)
Brass Eyelet is clipped from the end of a .357 Mag casing (free)

*A leather punch or drill makes the process much easier

IMG_3932.jpg

I learned some lessons and there are some things I would do different. However, I'm happy with the result and am confident that I can pick up some thicker leather and make a Concealed Carry holster.

Update: This holster has held up for over 6+ camping trips and mountain excursions. Including a New Years day monsoon. It still looks rock solid and I will continue to carry this on all future hikes and hunts.

That is really neat! Something that no one else has, anywhere. As far as man hours go? Phhttt. Some people get great satisfaction from such time spent. I get that kind of satisfaction out of single stage reloading.

EDIT: How much $ to make one for Wifey's SP101? :D

That is really neat! Something that no one else has, anywhere. As far as man hours go? Phhttt. Some people get great satisfaction from such time spent. I get that kind of satisfaction out of single stage reloading.

EDIT: How much $ to make one for Wifey's SP101? :D

Thanks! It's definitely a fun project. Materials + time probably comes to between $35-40

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top