JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry everywhere other than federal buildings or PO's, regardless of what may be posted.
That said, if someone there were carrying, between the smoke, darkness, people running and screaming there may have been very little they could do without adding to the injury toll and confusion. If there had been multiple CCWers there, it would be almost impossible in the chaos to determine who was(were) the bad guy(s).
Sadly, I think your assessment is quite accurate.

The news is saying a shotgun, 2 glocks and an AR now.

I think you guys are right the with UN talks and all of the other anti gun talk running around this will only fuel their case. Bad days we live in. This guy was not your aveage sportsman/collector, there is a report from his mother saying something alarming about him. He dropped out of school and had gone recluse. I assume he bought all of his weapons with intent given the style of attack. This was well thought out and planned.

To me, the saddest part of this was the reaction of the suspected shooter's mother:

Aurora Suspect James Holmes' Mother: 'You Have the Right Person'
The woman, contacted at her home in San Diego, spoke briefly with ABC News and immediately expressed concern her son may be involved in the shooting death of at least 12 people overnight.

"You have the right person," she said, apparently speaking on gut instinct. "I need to call the police... I need to fly out to Colorado."

The fact that there are people that are not at all surprised when someone they know does this is just a sad statement on the availability of mental health care. This person should have had mental health screening long ago, from the sound of it.

It's one thing when the shooter's family and friends are shocked, and it is said that the person 'just snapped', but when the suspect's own mother isn't surprised?

I hope that if ever I have a severe change in overall mood or demeanor my family, friends, and colleagues will make sure that I am safe. Not sure what happened to this kid in CO but I suspect there was a turning point in the recent months that ultimately led up to this horrific event.

No one mentioned the police. They got to the scene in something like 90 seconds and didn't hesitate to get into harm's way. Also, they didn't let 'procedure' stop them from using their police cars to transport victims to the hospital.

With all the negative things we see about cops it is sure nice now and then to read something about them acting decisively and courageously.

No one mentioned the police. They got to the scene in something like 90 seconds and didn't hesitate to get into harm's way. Also, they didn't let 'procedure' stop them from using their police cars to transport victims to the hospital.

With all the negative things we see about cops it is sure nice now and then to read something about them acting decisively and courageously.

Plus 1 on this. It shameful that the only time we praise law enforcement is in the face of tragedy. I, for one, still wave at every LEO I pass in my daily travels, as I was taught as a child. Thing is, I don't have some sort of chip on my shoulder. Sure, I've hade my brushes with the occasional over zealous mall cop type, but the outcome is always the same. Respect will defuse any situation, provided you haven't actually done anything in the wrong.

Many lives may have been saved due to the actions of these men and women.

Well at least you practice and are prepared. For me, maybe being a mediocre shot would be better, then when I don't hit center of mass, I would hit an area not coved by the armor. After this, I need to rethink getting my CHL and start shopping for a carry piece.

I preach concealed carry at all times that it is legal, and to be cautious and carry in "defenseless target zones" IF i MUST use them. otherwise I avoid them. Practice, Practice and more practice is all you can do. You want to be as instinctive as possible in these types of scenarios, if you have to think about your actions, you WILL loose precious time!

I sit here and think....I carry every day! I would have a firearm on me, in a theater and this happened. What then? This guy had armor, had a full loadout, and it was pure chaos in the theater...Maybe I get a few shots off...Does it faze him? Probably not! make me wonder...Maybe I need to start carrying an SBR with a few mags. Things are getting crazier everyday...

I carry a Keltec .380 without night sights. Thinking about this situation made me question whether I would've returned fire or not. Dark so I can't see my sights, people running around everywhere, and the fact that mouse guns aren't much for accuracy at a distance.

Let's say I fired two rounds. One missed and killed a kid, but the second got lucky and dropped the shooter. Maybe I saved the lives of 10 people, but I killed one who didn't deserve it in the process.

I only write this because so many people are saying "if only there had been someone with a ccw in that theater."

This is just for discussion as I am not sure how I would've handled it. One thing is for sure, though, and that is that I am going to get a crimson trace for my .380.

"I carry everywhere other than federal buildings or PO's, regardless of what may be posted.
That said, if someone there were carrying, between the smoke, darkness, people running and screaming there may have been very little they could do without adding to the injury toll and confusion. If there had been multiple CCWers there, it would be almost impossible in the chaos to determine who was(were) the bad guy(s)." asiparks

Great point.

This post is not aimed at anyone. Its for everyone.

If you have a CC Permit, you need to carry at all times regarless of what signs are on the door.
Metal detector is the only thing that should make you dis arm.

Children and families might have been saved in this horrid act. Maybe it wouldn't have helped to have an armed civilian in the theatre, but at least the OPTION would have been there.

If you don't feel like carrying a gun, then shred your CC permit. You got it as a novelty and are a poser.

This is me keeping my calm. My prayers go out to the families that are in agony right now.

Yes - I agree with the carry all the time thing, but in my work it isn't at all possible to do it 100% of the time.

Not to sound like a hard *** or whatever, but if I would have been in that theater I would have returned fire if given the chance, open shots. I couldn't think of any more honorable way to die if it came to that and I'd sure rather go down trying my best rather than to take a bullet with my CC still in my IWB.

I believe someone like this would not expect return fire and chances are he would have fled given that; after all it looks like his plan was to stay alive and not suicide himself. If I could slink away after killing to SOB I would do that also. Wouldn't be interested in the hero crap.

This is such a bad situation. Prayers to all victims and family. When thinking about being there and using weapon I would have had with me its a tough call.If I was there with my children and trying to cover them do I draw his fire? I Know I would if he was coming at us but what if he is 70 ft away and not aiming at us. Do I us a 1911 against a guy with a ar, shotgun, and pistols? I got 8 rounds til empty and may only have one more magazine. I for one did not train in a room with tear gas. I wish I could know I would hit a head shot at 50ft every time just not there yet. At any rate I would do what I could to protect my kids, just not sure I would draw fire unless I had to. MY kids come first I know thats selfish.

I saw the "no firearms" symbol when I went to my local Regal theater last month. I knew how I felt about it, but I wanted to see what others had to say. That's actually how I found this forum. It's a little eerie that this has happened so soon after.

I do not and have not seen the signs at regal theaters.

Burt, thanks for the update. Nothing was said on the station i was watching about the cops action in providing aid or transport.

And for those that are so offended by God I will pray for you and your lack of faith. i am God child and I will not CENSOR his name from my lips for your comfort.

Let's say I fired two rounds. One missed and killed a kid, but the second got lucky and dropped the shooter. Maybe I saved the lives of 10 people, but I killed one who didn't deserve it in the process.

I only write this because so many people are saying "if only there had been someone with a ccw in that theater."

This is just for discussion as I am not sure how I would've handled it. One thing is for sure, though, and that is that I am going to get a crimson trace for my .380.

If (god forbid) I was ever in a situation such as this, then I hope that I have the fortitude and ability to return accurate fire, stopping the threat and saving lives. At the least I would hope to slow him down and give others more time to flee while he is focused on me. At the very very least he might spend on me some rounds that had some kids name on them.

This is just speculation though as I sit in my comfy home, who knows I might just poop my pants and run away.

I completely understand the kids thing. Being more cautious because you have those that need you. That isn't necessarily being selfish in my book.

If I had people depending on me to live I wouldn't be so bold. But I don't. If I died but a few extra people were spared, I'd die with a smile on my face. Our lives are nothing more than a flash in the pan anyway and I'd rather go out saving lives than sucking a straw in a rest home. That isn't necessarily 'heroic', and I am sure a lot of people here feel the same way. If you CC and you aren't willing to step up to the plate and at least try, why bother? Don't we carry just for a situation like this? I know I do.

Rarely do I go somewhere when I am carrying that I don't visually survey a place, look for entries/exits, and think for a few seconds where the best cover would be to make a stand - and I KNOW 90% of the people here are more hard core than I could ever be.

We are Breslan, Russia waiting to happen.
What can you say to the families to help ?
Usually the police arrive in time to count the bodies and pass out the body bags. Not to knock the police; they can only respond to a crime.
The armed citizen is the front line of defense for self, family, and community.

I read the guy exited through an emergency exit, propped it open, and returned. Don't those usually have alarms when they're opened?

I read the guy exited through an emergency exit, propped it open, and returned. Don't those usually have alarms when they're opened?

You'd think so.
Though, in high school my friend who worked at the theater would always sneak me and my date through the fire exits to see movies that we were too young to buy tickets for.

As far as a CHL holder making a difference, there sure seems to be allot of accounts from people who had clear and unobstructed views of the murderer during his rampage. If one of those people had a clear shot and training to utilize it, some lives could have been saved. It wouldnt have prevented everything, but it could have helped.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top