JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I sit here and think....I carry every day! I would have a firearm on me, in a theater and this happened. What then? This guy had armor, had a full loadout, and it was pure chaos in the theater...Maybe I get a few shots off...Does it faze him? Probably not! make me wonder...Maybe I need to start carrying an SBR with a few mags. Things are getting crazier everyday...

I am in southeast Wyoming about 2.5 hours north of Denver at the moment and woke up to this. News reports are varying from good to piss poor. I am hearing 12 dead, 50 wounded with victims aged 6 to 45 years. Apparently a Colorado congressmen has already called for gun control. :rolleyes: One ER doc is reporting buckshot wounds and high velocity rifle wounds.

My condolences to the victims and their families. Hope that none of my friends and family that live back there were in the theater and that the shooter that is on the run is captured or dies in the process soon. It's too bad that there wasn't a CCW armed resistance to stop it sooner.

There were no CCW to stop/slow him down for a reason.. I for one will never go to a Cinemark, add them to the "do not visit" list...

"Cinemark owns the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, scene of last night’s mass shooting. Cinemark doesn’t allow anyone other than law enforcement officers to carry legal firearms in their theaters. "

Cinemark Theaters No Firearms Policy | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

I sit here and think....I carry every day! I would have a firearm on me, in a theater and this happened. What then? This guy had armor, had a full loadout, and it was pure chaos in the theater...Maybe I get a few shots off...Does it faze him? Probably not! make me wonder...Maybe I need to start carrying an SBR with a few mags. Things are getting crazier everyday...

Thought about the same thing. Basically, I am not sure what I would do until placed in this situation (the gods willing, this never happens). I carry a snubbie .38. Pretty sure the rounds would bounce off this guys armor and helmet. Sitting safely on my couch, I figure I would not consider firing at the perp unless he was well within range and preparing to engage me. At that point, I hope I would have the wherewithal to aim low, inner thigh region and hope to clip an artery.

My sincere condolences to the victims; whether deceased, injured, or simply affected. No one will recover from this quickly.

Waking up to this news on my clock radio this morning was so sad. I can't believe we now live in a world where we can't even go to the movies without being afraid. My heart goes out to all of those people and their families.

This is why I carry every time I leave my home.

I think that GOD is an invalid excuse. I thought that we were suppose to leave religion out of these forums.

James Ruby

People, families, and children were gunned down in a movie theater....... and your panties are in a bunch over comments on God and faith???...... What is wrong with you..... :huh:

With the availability of body armor and helmets, I consistently practice both center mass and head shots striving to keep my shot group as small as possible (+/- 2") at 50 feet with my carry pistol. I know that in the situation this would be a hard task, but I practice it anyway. I know that if I practice at 50 feet, a closer shot will be easier.

I thought about this a lot this morning as well. Here is what I came up with.

I doubt anyone in attendance really knew that the guy was armored. From the accounts I heard on the news, he lit off the smoke grenades, then went to the front of the theater and started shooting into the crowd. Depending on where you were in the theater, and I am assuming that he had the bulletproof vest on under a coat or something, I think that in my mind I would first drop to the ground, and get people around me to do the same for their protection. Then draw my handgun and try to figure out a way to get a clean shot at the shooter. I doubt I would even think about if the guy was wearing armor or not. I would aim for center of mass and shoot until the threat stopped or I was out of ammo. Hopefully the former happens before the latter.

It is possible that the psychological effect of being shot back at would just get him to stop or run, even if he was wearing armor. You just never know in situations like this, and I hope and pray that I never have to figure out what to do in a scenario like this in real time.

This was obviously planned and prepared for. The body armor, the smoke, the flight to the parking lot where he was caught, all indicate that he didn't want to be caught or end his own life. He wasn't planning to return home though because of the traps he set. Make's me wonder if he had more targets that he planned to hit.

The thing that really bothers me about this and prior recent shootings is that it's always the guns that are blamed in the aftermath. I guess they're the "easy fix" for situations like this. I doubt I'll read anything that puts fault squarely on the Holmes' shoulders. There will be something to blame for his actions. Maybe mental instability, family or financial troubles, anger at society or rising theater ticket costs. It wasn't really his fault right? He was a victim of his troubles. B.S! Why can't we place fault where it belongs? Maybe I'll be wrong this time and the media will portray him as the bad guy rather then the tools he used. Only time will tell.

I like how there was one positive thing about guns in the media this week, now this. Some times I feel like the anti's are behind things like this... I hope all the wounded completely recovery, and nothing bad comes of this.

:sigh: the democratic office opened next to my restaurant. I've been dealing with those crazies for the last month now. Can't wait to see them during lunch rush today..

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

This tragic accident <snip>

This was NOT a tragic "accident". It was premeditated mass murder. It is tragic, but so it the damage this will do the general public's perception of gun owners.

The "Assault Weapon" terminology used in the news reporting just pisses me off because of the inaccuracy. Too often all "black guns" are labeled "assault" just because of their looks when in reality few, if any, of the actual weapons used in this kind of shooting are actually select fire weapons. That really sucks because anyone who spends the big $ to legally buy an actual assault rifle isn't the kind person who would use it to commit a crime.

Most theaters have signs that "ban" firearms from their premises, and somehow it doesn't stop criminals.
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/legal-political/20840-regal-cinemas-ban-guns-theater.html
IF a person was carrying concealed, how would the cinema know?

With the availability of body armor and helmets, I consistently practice both center mass and head shots striving to keep my shot group as small as possible (+/- 2") at 50 feet with my carry pistol. I know that in the situation this would be a hard task, but I practice it anyway. I know that if I practice at 50 feet, a closer shot will be easier.
Well at least you practice and are prepared. For me, maybe being a mediocre shot would be better, then when I don't hit center of mass, I would hit an area not coved by the armor. After this, I need to rethink getting my CHL and start shopping for a carry piece.

This is a sad day indeed, and my heart goes out to all involved. This tragedy should also be an awakening to people that think they can pick and choose the right time to carry.

This was obviously planned and prepared for. The body armor, the smoke, the flight to the parking lot where he was caught, all indicate that he didn't want to be caught or end his own life. He wasn't planning to return home though because of the traps he set. Make's me wonder if he had more targets that he planned to hit.

apparently he was just stood waiting next to his car waiting for the cops to arrive.

I carry everywhere other than federal buildings or PO's, regardless of what may be posted.
That said, if someone there were carrying, between the smoke, darkness, people running and screaming there may have been very little they could do without adding to the injury toll and confusion. If there had been multiple CCWers there, it would be almost impossible in the chaos to determine who was(were) the bad guy(s).

It's incredibly tragic and my heart goes out to all those touched by it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top