JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My new 10/22 is coming along quite well. so far I have put it in a grey magpul stock, mirror polished the reciever, quick release bolt catch mod, JWH custom competitor bolt, kidd bolt buffer, polished stainless recoil rod and springs from JWH. Next thing (and probably the last thing for a while due to new project funds running low) will be either the trigger, thinking the kidd single stage or a new barrel, maybe ER shaw or Green mountain. Any experiences with these brands of barrels? should i go barrel or trigger for my last upgrade for a while

Ruger now makes a very nice drop in complete trigger group/frame assembly. About 3 pounds. Can be had for less than $100 shipped. Installs easy.

The trigger improvement is important. So is perhaps after market barrel screws and wedge to tightly and evenly hold the OEM barrel to the receiver.

Last but also important is that good optic. Our stunk buster now has the old tried and true swapped back and forth Leopold 1x4x20 scope. Good luck.

If it's a barrel that has a barrel band ditch that.

You can do trigger yourself if you are competent enough. It's time consuming but possible.

I would do the trigger first. The B25 Ruger triggers are fine though not a volquartsen trigger. The volquartsen trigger I had on my last 10/22 was awesome. Very light and crisp. Dropped the group sizes probably in half. That was as with a factory hammer forged barrel and a Fajen stock that was a special factory gun a few years back.
But the barrel I put on it was a Beyers. He's in Forks Wa and sells at shows and at Brownells.
With that trigger and the Beyers barrel I could one hole with most any brand ammo at 20 yards. Even the Remington thundercrap ammo! They are $300 and the trigger was almost $200. But what a shooter
Alas I had to sell the thing.

I would suggest barrel first. I can shoot a rifle with a bad trigger and a good barrel much better than a rifle with a good trigger and a bad barrel. Never seen a "good" stock Ruger 10/22 barrel.

Just depends on what your looking for. Looks like you're building yours up quite a bit. My thought would be trigger before the barrel, but others would go barrel first ....... kind of six and one half dozen of the other sort of thing I suppose.

I put in a buffer bolt first because it was easy. Then I added a Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor and spring. After many, many years of owning it, I sent my trigger group to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier2 package (currently priced at $73.50+shipping both ways). This worked well for my groups. Now, that was before Ruger came out with their BX trigger group. But after reading about inconsistencies of the Ruger BX trigger, I would still opt for sending mine to Brimstone.

I did have a Green Mountain 16.5" bull barrel which I liked but was somewhat finicky (extracting mostly) about ammo because of it's tighter Bentz chamber. Also had a Hogue overmold stock on mine for awhile but got tired of the weight of the barrel and gripiness of the stock. Since I'm just plinking anyhow I put it back to the original wood stock and barrel with an inexpensive AO scope, it now shoots anything I load and have been having fun ever since.

Shoot the 10/22 I have now was a old gun and it was great for accuracy,I just wanted another barrel on it.
The hammer forged barrel was great but heavy so I changed it.
The reason I suggested the trigger is to see if you need a better barrel. But both can be expensive,so it's your preference.

I'd say trigger , grab a Ruger BX25 trigger, try it for a while and see if you like it, if not send the whole thing to Brimstone and they will get it all cleaned up ...OR send your existing trigger pack to Brimstone for the Tier 2 or which ever you'd like.

If it's a barrel that has a barrel band ditch that.

You can do trigger yourself if you are competent enough. It's time consuming but possible.

Way back when I wanted a 22lr to teach the kids to shoot with I opted to save another $30 And get the Ruger 10-22 Deluxe. My friends all had the cheaper models with the barrel band & told me that I should get the deluxe for better function (metal trigger group) and accuracy, I'm glad I took their advice...:)

Bone stock w/ Bushnell 3x9x40 scope @ 50 yards. Top right, bottom right & bottom left with 3 different makers of 22lr. The federal (T R) was best group & zero malfunctions.
Try the trigger first though.

20170121_154028.jpg on

Last Edited:
some things to think about, and i think picking up a kidd aftermarket v block and screws would be a good idea, i already have noticed to factory set up is junk. anyone experience with ER shaw barrels?

or a new barrel, maybe ER shaw or Green mountain. Any experiences with these brands of barrels? should i go barrel or trigger for my last upgrade for a while
I put a Green Mountain on mine. Note they do not recommend stingers or subsonics thru their barrels. Their website isn't complete for every barrel option, the one I got does not list the twist rate but I figured it out from the similarly non-fluted bbl is 1/16. Also they recommend 200rds to break in with cleaning every 5 rds, then 10 then 25...
I would get the barrel, its a real tack driver but I do get different zeros with different brands of ammo. I have not had a chance to shoot it much, ironically.
1022_20170124.jpg

This might be opinionated but I feel that Ruger already had it's chance by installing a not so great trigger. If quality over cost is your game...I'd go KIDD(my top choice)or Voltquartsen over the BX-25 in a heartbeat.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top