JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
At the point of needing to improve take down 10/22 trigger;

While it works 'fine, within normal spec' the comparison with the few other rimfires I shoot, can no longer tolerate what I've put up with all these years.

The remaining options are these:
1) trade it off;
2) rebuild with various upgrade components;
3) replace with BX trigger, almost certainly dropping pull weight by 50%.

1) I prefer to keep it, and realize that means some remedy is required;
2) Volq parts are spendy and I'm not all that certain my end result justifies the time/expense;
3) the few I know who have installed the BX seem "satisfied enough" that the current Bi-Mart price of :eek:$69o_O seems as good as can be obtained.

Comments/warnings/sage advise/pithy observations solicited.
Prefer comments from those with actual first-hand experience with the DX pro/con/cost equation.

I've heard the BX is a somewhat essential upgrade, it seems to go on sale reasonably regularly.

Otherwise, going through the trigger and just making sure all parts are smooth will nearly always help - when was the last time you pulled it apart and cleaned it? (the trigger)

I recommend you look into having the trigger modified by <broken link removed> since you are leaning towards keeping it. Their shop is out of Camas, WA. I had a tier 1 trigger job done by them and was amazed by how much better it was. There are three different tiers of trigger work depending on your needs and budget.

I installed timney for a co worker in his bull barrel 10/22 some time ago. It was nice but not $200 nice. For doing the work i took his trigger assembly in trade. I finally got around to tinkering with it and was able to lower pull weight, overtravel, grittiness and creep to where it is within spittin distance to the $200 timney. It is also better than another one I put volquarrtsen parts in. Of course a fundemental understanding of triggers and some mechanical ability is needed but it was not that complicated. There are several youtube videos to help you as well. "You can do it"

For the $40 I paid for a bx trigger, I think it's a reasonable upgrade. I got it on sale at bimart sometime before Christmas. It doesn't have the grit and crunch of the stock trigger and a noticeably lighter pull weight. It also gives you the newer extended mag catch if you have an older 10/22 like me. I'd recommend picking up one of those and trying it out. If you want something fancy I'm sure you could resell the bx. As far as top grade, I've heard the best things about Kidd triggers.

JWH Custom has their target hammer on sale for $13.95 with free shipping now. This is comparable with the Volquartsen or Power Custom Hammer. drop in part, and improved my 10/22 trigger immensely.
JWH Custom Ruger 10/22 22LR 22M Target Hammer Kit | JWH CUSTOM

Note: if you go this route, Do Not use the hammer spring in the kit. I learned this on a rimfire forum. It will get extremely finicky about ammo with the heavy hammer spring. With just the hammer and trigger return spring, mine eats anything.

Appreciate the tips. Re Kidd trigger. Have on different 10/22 that works so well it gets to stay on present set up. Have emailed Brimstone for information. Will ponder further. YouTube gets a visit as well

I recommend you look into having the trigger modified by <broken link removed> since you are leaning towards keeping it. Their shop is out of Camas, WA. I had a tier 1 trigger job done by them and was amazed by how much better it was. There are three different tiers of trigger work depending on your needs and budget.

I had a tier 2 done by him. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

I have to give a shout out to Brimstone as well. I replaced my stock trigger with a BX trigger that they worked their magic on and I'm very impressed with the quality of work!

Another vote for Brimstone :s0155:

I bought the Ruger BX trigger from bi-mart when it was on sale for $40. Big improvement, but after shooting @Weebs's Kidd equipped gun I knew there was still a long way to go. In the name of science (and to support a local company) I opted for Brimstone's Tier 1 job for $110, and I'm extremely happy with it. The BX is a fine upgrade for $40, but any more than that and I'd put the money toward something better.

Due to input from comments here, I'm standing by , as patiently as possible, awaiting return of my own project recently forwarded for their attention. Will post results later.

ETA: my own comparison was twofold: I have a Kidd group in another 10/22 that is spectacular; also a reallyREALLY decent Savage accutrigger in a 17 hmr. After a few close range trips in that company, the stock 10/22 take-down trigger simply faded from 'not too bad' to 'yes it IS too bad'.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top