JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had a second scope fail this weekend on my ruger 10/22--second one in 1 year. First was a used tasco world class and the most recent was a used bushnell sportview. I realize both of these scopes are cheap, but I think I an about ready to buy one that doesn't suck so much with the hope that it will last a couple of years at least.

So what do you think, keep throwing cheapo scopes at it or pony up for a good one? Anybody got any suggetions or had good experiences that would like to share?

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I found the bsa at optics planet for $30. Not bad. Another angle I am considering is upgrading the Tasco world class on on .06 hunting rifle with a new redfield, leupold or nikon and slappin the Tasco on the 10/22. Decisions decisions. Although I am starting to think the really good scope should go on the 10/22, as I shoot it tons more....hmmmm

Nikon ProStaff 4x32. Just under $100 on amazon.com.

Don't worry about zoom.

Given the common purpose of a 10/22 - which is usually plinking or small game hunting, fast target acquisition should be criteria. The best custom 10/22 might be functional out to 200 yards, but in my (limited) experience inside of 100 yards is where most of your action is. Optimize for that.

I think a lot of arguments about "accurate" are misleading. Get some solid rings, maybe even invest in an improved base mount. If your mounting is solid and the scope stays in one piece, it will remain zeroed until you abuse it.

Provided all that, buy the best glass you can afford. I really like the 4x32 Nikon because of the 50 yard parallax and generous eye relief.

I shot my brother-in-laws 10/22 with one of these on it last weekend and it was super nice:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=214873

Not sure about quality/warranty though. It is a 3x9x40 with slick adjustments that really work.

I have a 4x on it now--an old backup from who knows where--I think I will take it out to my usual shooting spot and see what I think of the 4x. This shooting spot has 30, 50 and 100 yards ranges, and I will admit that I usually prefer the 50 yard cause I am about 3 " low at 100 yards. Although with that bsa scope, a few clicks and I would be right on.....and then there's the 3x9 nikon....ugh ;-)

Is it true that a cheap zoom scope might be more susceptible to moisture/fogging? Also slightly heavier?

Something I did with my Nikon 4x32 was get the lowest profile rings that would fit. My thinking was it would (in theory) be easier to keep zero at various distances. That's the only scope I've used on my 10/22 so I can't compare. I'm not good enough to notice if the variations from 25-100 yards are weapon or shooter caused :)

Minor downsides to the low profile Burris rings:

Can't use a scope with a larger diameter eye piece
Can't install the Ruger factory bolt lock

Upside is it packs a bit easier, and carries on a sling a bit easier too.

you will enjoy your 10-22 so much more with a good scope on it. I have an old 3x9 Leupold vx2 on mine. I think I paid $125 (used) at a gun show.I would try to find an old Burris,leupold,redfield variable, or maybe a weaver fixed 4x to put on it. that & a trigger spring kit are the best bang for the buck mods you can do for the ruger IMO. good luck!

A friend at work today informed me he had a barely used nikon prostaff 4x32 he would sell me for cheap. Very tempting. Now all I need to do is determine whether or not 4x will be adequate.

I second th Mueller. I have a Tasco varmint on mine and it's been good for about 2000 rounds, but my buddy's Mueller APV has much clearer optics in my opinion.

Never heard of Mueller--looks pretty nice. Found that same scope through a reseller for $119. The 4-18x would be sweet. Are muellers rebadged from another manufacturer or are they built by Muelle?

Never heard of Mueller--looks pretty nice. Found that same scope through a reseller for $119. The 4-18x would be sweet. Are muellers rebadged from another manufacturer or are they built by Muelle?

Mueller been around for about ten years. They design the scopes and have them made. They use Japanese optics and the scopes are assembled in both China and Japan depending on the model.

The Mueller APV has been the scope of choice for most the rimfire guys at rimfirecental.com for many years. They have a reputation for customer service and quality optics for the price.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top