JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question for all of you 10/22 "Experts" out there.
I have two different barrels, an Adams & Bennett and a Green Mountain for my 10/22's.
The issues I have are; fail to feed, fail to fire, and fail to fire. They do not all happen every time, most of the issues are because the rifle will no return to full battery.
So the question I have is; Can I have the Match Chambers which these barrels come with, machined to "Sport Chamber" Tolerances?

Any input you have would be appreciated!

Thank You

I'm no expert, but I suspect it's an ammo problem and not the bbl's. I had a new Lilja match designed for Ely and it would shoot anything. Is your action in good condition and clean. Ken

I got the green Mountain, Had the same issues, at the end I bought the stainless steel receiver from VQ, and installed, no more problems,,, is expensive though!!

I am not willing to spend a ton of money on what should be, and are known as reliable fun to shoot and fairly inexpensive guns. Both of the rifles shoot flawlessly with a factory barrel. Put the bull barrel on and no more function....Barrels are clean (ultra sonic clean) so that is not the issue. I tore the whole receiver down and put it through the ultra sonic also, so cleanliness is not an issue either.

Keep the suggestions coming.
Thanks guys!

Both of your barrels probably have Bentz chambers not match and yes, chambers can be tightened or loosened up. does the failure to feed happen often or just once. if often, could be a barrel sag issue depending on the stock you are using. the failure to fire is typically due to insufficiant firing pin protrusion. But, if the receiver functions good with the factory barrel, i would suspect an issue with the extractor groove on the heavy barrels. if the extractor groove is not cut deep enough or lined up correctly it can keep the bolt from reaching full battery.

Does the problem go away after a good bore/chamber scrubbing? My tricked out 10/22 with a match chamber bull barrel would quit running after about 120 rounds. Stovepipes, stuck cases, fail to feed, etc. A good cleaning would make it run well again. 120 rounds isn't very long when shooting sage rats, and it was pissing me off. I bought a 'sporting' .22lr chamber reamer from midway, reamed her out, and she runs like a top for a long, long time now. I haven't noticed any loss of accuracy.

It should run reliably with the match chamber. Mine does. What ammo are you using. If it says Remington or Peters on it try something else. A detailed strip and clean is in order. No way to fully diagnose it without seeing it.

It should run reliably with the match chamber. Mine does. What ammo are you using. If it says Remington or Peters on it try something else. A detailed strip and clean is in order. No way to fully diagnose it without seeing it.

As I mentioned above, both have been thoroughly cleaned. Funny thing about the ammo is that the Remington Golden bullets are the only worth while ammo I have found to shoot. Federals are junk, peters have long since been garbage, along with every other brand. The Blazer bulks seem to to okay as well, everything else works like pooh for me. Every gun is different.
Gophishhhh spent a little time with them and it sounds like he has them running like a 10/22 should. I appreciate all the input and Thank You Gophishhh!

one thing to check is that you have the barrel lined up.the v block should line it up but there is a small gap for error.ammo is the other thing i would look at my target guns only like cci and blazer.

one thing to check is that you have the barrel lined up.the v block should line it up but there is a small gap for error.

Shayne is correct. This could cause these symptoms. You have to make sure your extractor is centered up in the groove of the barrel.

I would also make double sure your barrel is indexed all the way.

Barrel is straight with the extractor, checked, double checked, and checked again. Put the Volquartsen extractor in BOTH rifles and did not do a thing. Also the CCI mini mags ARE problem solvers. They solve problems, they solve my money problems by leaving me none! JOKING, tried them, no go. Like I said, gophishhhh took a look, did some work and he has them running like a 10/22 should.

The barrel to receiver fit was fairley loose. this combined with the offset design of the volquartzen barrel block, was pushing up on the barrels putting the chamber out of alighnment. Taking the upward tension off of the barrels combined with complete bolt accurizing and a light polish on the case portion of the chamber = a 10/22 that runs like it should. i took out to test fire and ran 100 rounds through each gun with only four FTF.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top