Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

10/22 bull barrel where to get one

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by SturgeonSlayer, Mar 7, 2014.

1. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

I was told by a friend someone local makes and sells bull barrels for 10/22's. I did a search and could find nothing, anyone know of anybody ? And yes i know i can get them online all day long, but im trying to stay and support local people.

2. Chee-to

Chee-to Oregon Well-Known Member

3. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

How much do you want to spend?

Tactical solutions makes great stuff and Cabelas carries them.

4. BlindedByScience

BlindedByScience Vancouver WA Well-Known Member

I got the stuff for my 10-22 project from Brownell's and Midway. Between them you can order just about anything you want. I went with a TacSol barrel, really happy with it.

5. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

You need to decide if you want a precision barrel of just one that is lighter and a bit more accurate than the factory barrel.
    I have 2 of the TacSol barrels and they are great in that they are lighter and have I can transition faster than the factory barrel BUT they are not precision barrels, at best they are a .75 moa. The other problem with the TacSols is that any squib WILL NOT shoot out without bulging the barrel. Most other barrels will. I learned this the hard way and TacSol see's a fair number or exchanges for this reason.
    I also have a Green Mountain that is a .5 moa barrel.
    Admittedly barrels can be highly variable but the amount of steel in a solid steel barrel will be more likely to have consistent barrel harmonics.

6. Mr Smith

Mr Smith 54 68 65 20 73 74 69 63 6b 73 Active Member

Buddy of mine got a stainless steel threaded barrel for his AMT Lightning (full stainless/synthetic 10/22 that came out for a short period befure Ruger filed a lawsuit against them because it was identical to a Ruger 10/22 with the exception the AMT lightning was all stainless, the ruger 10/22 was not and has never been) from tactical innovations.

They are out of bonners ferry Idaho.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  7. Chris76

Chris76 Northwest Member

8. broncman

broncman E. of Portland yet to close! Quality Control!

9. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Yes he did. Reading down I kept wondering if anyone was going to advise him on his real question as he said clearly he knows how to get them online.

10. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

We need more info about your application. Do you want a threaded one? Is super-accuracy your goal? Does weight matter? What's your price point?

I have a Tac-Sol SBX which is shockingly accurate - even the cold-bore shot. The best thing is the 6" flash hider that allows a suppressor to be inserted into it - making the whole thing 17" overall, even with the can attached.

I bought a cheap POS bull barrel from E.R.Shaw and spent a year chasing that dumb decision, with zero success. Don't be penny-wise and pound foolish!

11. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

I got mine from a guy in Oregon City who would mill down stock ruger barrels, re-sleeve them, and put a nice crown on them. He charged about $100 if a remember correctly. Unfortunately I do not have his contact info.

12. xlsbob

xlsbob coos county Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

For the 10-22 Ruger is just the starting point, the aftermarket has everything and then some. When you get serious about .22 you need to sign up with rimfire central wwwrimfirecentral.com I'm a dedicated fan of Northwest Firearms but if you want .22 this is the place to go, they have more information than you can imagine .

13. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

Another vote for Whistle Pig in Aurora. I have been contemplating replacing my tack-driver GM 16.5" with a WP to make a light .22 (the GM bull barrel is great and threaded but still makes it nose-heavy). I sent a question to WP today about the weight of their barrel and got a reply from Louis a couple hours later that that they are around 1oz per inch of barrel. Great customer service and i'll be getting one! It's nice to support a local company too. I think this'll balance out my 10/22 nicely.

14. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

That's strange. I bought a cheap not-so-POS bull barrel from E.R. Shaw and score bullseye's all day long. Are you sure it's not just you?

mjbskwim likes this.
  15. Puddin99

Puddin99 Scappoose, OR Member

16. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Really? I'll have to look closer at the 10/22 stainless that I have. Other than the plastic trigger group and barrel band it looks like stainless.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    "Defender of Freedom" award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"Having a gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have it you may never need it again"

17. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

18. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm sure. It wasn't even close.
    My FFL wrestled with it endlessly; the shank dimensions were off, and no amount of shimming could prevent barrel droop.

The worst part was calling them and having the guy swear that they never made a fast-twist (1:9") barrel. When I 'splained that I was holding one in my hand at that moment, he backed off and said, "Well maybe some were made as a special order for a distributor." And that was that - he totally disavowed any responsibility for the defective barrel.

These CLOWNS need to understand that in the Internet age they can't get away with nonsense like this without consequence. I will never buy from E.R.Shaw again, and I will never miss a chance to repeat my story. I still have the barrel as proof, should those CLOWNS threaten me with legal action for telling the TRUTH.

19. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

His user name is gophishhhh
    Send him a pm on here and he will give you his price breakdown.

20. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Jebus, what a drag. My E.R. Shaw barrel dropped in with nary a problem, and like I said, scores bullseye after bullseye all day with cheap bulk ammo!