JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How come on a 10/22 the upper (receiver and barrel) have the serial number but on a ar15 the lower (trigger group) has the serial number?
Each rifle is reversed of the other.
Just how each company marks them? Does atf designate this?

Totally up to the manufacturer as to where they put the serial number.

Um.... yeah, thats not how it works.

The manufacture submits its design to the BATF and a decision is made on what part of the firearm constitutes the "receiver" For most firearms it is the section that is attached to the barrel directly behind the chamber.

However for a M16/AR15 a ruling was made that the lower would be the "firearm" which is contrary to most conventions.

The serial numbered part is the only part that is restricted or considered a firearm and there are uniform rulings in place to ensure all manufactures comply to a standard. That is why if its a AR 15 or a 1911 or a HK-91 clone, M14 or Grand or what ever else it is no matter who made it you will always find the serial number on the same part.

The Manufacture of a gun cant just decide to put the Serial number on the barrel (or in the case of a AR the upper) and call that the firearm. If they did they would be creating unregistered weapons because no matter what the manufacture wants to call the receiver its the part the FEDS have specified

Prior to the gun control act of 1968 I dont think there was any federal requirement that a gun even had a serial number. (manufactures of course did put serial numbers on them, but it was not a federal law)

Of course prior to that you could mail order any gun you wanted.

I am sure at some point in the past the manufacture could decide what part was the firearm, but it has not been that way for at least 40 years.

Prior to the gun control act of 1968 I dont think there was any federal requirement that a gun even had a serial number....

I am sure at some point in the past the manufacture could decide what part was the firearm, but it has not been that way for at least 40 years.

I agree with your explanation, but in this instance the design and manufacture of both firearms predates the GCA. How was the decision made prior to the GCA?

I guess the thing to keep in mind was prior to 1968 there was no requirement for a serial number. So if it had one or not was really up to the manufacturer. I assume all reputable manufactures would want to SN guns for there own records regardless of law.

So..... honestly dont know but I suspect the originator of the original design used accepted criteria that established what was the receiver. After the design originator established what was the serial numbered part then anyone else who might manufacture that design would either do so under license or contract maintaining the convention.

I would assume for all firearms in production when the law was passed what ever part had the serial number became the receiver and the "firearm" in the eyes of the FEDS. Maybe that is how the AR ended up being a bastardization with the receiver not being what contained to bolt and barrel. Maybe Armalite just thought that its was a nice flat spot on the lower was better than trying to stamp it on the rounded parts of the upper and then when the law went into effect it was what it was.

I had a bolt action 30-30 Savage with no serial number from the factory.

And for some reason they decided to put the SN# on the upper of my Sig 556? Even thought it has two pins and breaks into an upper and lower just like an AR-15. Go figure.

black guns 017.jpg

Yeah, its the AR that is wacky, Your Sig is normal. On virtually everything the receiver is attached to the barrel and contains the bolt. I cant off the top of my head thing of anything else in the same configuration as the AR

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top