JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Tactical Innovations X-Ring barrel with about 2k rounds through it. It has an aluminum sleeve with a chromoly bore. I was adding an upgraded receiver to my build last week and had the rifle dissembled. When it was apart I noticed quite a bit of wear on the aluminum sleeve where the bolt face bumps against it while cycling. The chromoly does not appear worn but there is a detectible bit of pitting on the aluminum when I rub my finger over it.

This is the first performance barrel I've put on a 10/22. My questions are, is this normal wear for this type of barrel? Am I expecting too much out of this barrel and is it really just a target barrel designed to be shot way less than I've done? Can it effect performance? After spending $250 on a barrel I was a bit disappointed to see so much wear.

IMG_2159.JPG
IMG_2160.JPG

Last Edited:
I can't answer that exact question for you but I've got something similar. I have a well used 22/45 with a TacSol "upper" on it with aluminum barrel and steel insert. I've shot countless of thousands of rounds through it and have very similar wear marks on the face of the barrel. This pistol is still far more accurate than I am and keeps chugging along.

Based on your observations alone, I would surmise that it's not up to your expectations at all. Aluminum in that p[articular application is probably doomed from the get-go. A phone call or email to the manufacturer is in order. Perhaps they will do something for you. Just a thought.

I have 4 Tactical Solutions barrels on pistols and rifles and have never seen any wear like this on mine. What were you using for a gun cleaning solvent?

Using the top photo as a reference, from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock it look like you have thick powder residue. But if that's actually pitting or corrosion, I'm wondering if that is aluminum-brass galvanic corrosion. I've never heard of it happening on firearms. Was the rifle left wet, uncleaned, with a round in the chamber for an extended period of time?

Normal wear from the bolt hitting the aluminum. I have the same wear on mine from thousands of rounds. Has not effected performance.

The aluminum breach face is a common complaint people have of these barrels. While people complain, I have not heard anyone having function issues. I have seen lots of these barrels at speed steel matches. They get used hard and have to be reliable.

Using the top photo as a reference, from 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock it look like you have thick powder residue. But if that's actually pitting or corrosion, I'm wondering if that is aluminum-brass galvanic corrosion. I've never heard of it happening on firearms. Was the rifle left wet, uncleaned, with a round in the chamber for an extended period of time?

This pics were taken just after cleaning the barrel. The area from 9-3 that you're describing is actually the pitted area. The silver surface is where the bolt has worn through the anodizing and exposed the aluminum. The area below is still in tact, the black color is the anodizing on the aluminum. You can see the notched shape on the 3 o'clock position is the exact shape of the bolt face.

I have left it dirty before but never wet and never with a round in it.

I have 4 Tactical Solutions barrels on pistols and rifles and have never seen any wear like this on mine. What were you using for a gun cleaning solvent?

I clean it with CLP and a nylon brush. Never taken solvent to it.

This is a TacSol takedown barrel. You can see the aluminum and ss sleeve line well defined in second photo. No pitting, just discoloration.
This barrel has never been cleaned with solvents, only a bore snake.
Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.43.52 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 7.43.43 AM.png

@cbenware have you taken the barrel off yet to really get a good look at it?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top