JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My 10/22 is stock other than an archangel target stock and Nikon 3-9x40. It easily groups under 1.5" at 100 yards if I do my part with Federal Match ammo. I had planned to put a bull barrel on it but haven't gotten around to it. I think everyone should own a 10/22, I have the target one mentioned, a takedown, and one in a bulpup stock. Very fun guns.

My 10/22 is stock other than an archangel target stock and Nikon 3-9x40. It easily groups under 1.5" at 100 yards if I do my part with Federal Match ammo. I had planned to put a bull barrel on it but haven't gotten around to it. I think everyone should own a 10/22, I have the target one mentioned, a takedown, and one in a bulpup stock. Very fun guns.

I did a test of of 14 brands of ammo in my 10/22 a couple years ago by shooting the better part of whole boxes at a target -- I used a Vortex 2-8 scope, set at 8 and shot at targets 100yds away. The best group was with Eley Action -- 35 shots in that group so there were probably some pretty sweet 3 or 5 shot groups in there -- that whole 35 shot group measured 2.6" and if I ignored 5 fliers, 1.9". The worst shooting brand shat a 7+" group (it exceeded my caliper width but I didn't bother getting a more accurate measurement) -- this was a 30 shot group and minus five fliers for this brand was 3.4".

Anyway, blah blah blah -- it makes sense to sit down and methodically test ammo. The same ammo that came in at #1 in my 10/22, finished 7th in accuracy for my bolt action .22. The ammo that came in second place on my bolt action, finished 10th on my 10/22, and first in the bolt action was 4th on the 10/22. Different ammo can make a huge difference for any particular firearm.

I did a test of of 14 brands of ammo in my 10/22 a couple years ago by shooting the better part of whole boxes at a target -- I used a Vortex 2-8 scope, set at 8 and shot at targets 100yds away. The best group was with Eley Action -- 35 shots in that group so there were probably some pretty sweet 3 or 5 shot groups in there -- that whole 35 shot group measured 2.6" and if I ignored 5 fliers, 1.9". The worst shooting brand shat a 7+" group (it exceeded my caliper width but I didn't bother getting a more accurate measurement) -- this was a 30 shot group and minus five fliers for this brand was 3.4".

Anyway, blah blah blah -- it makes sense to sit down and methodically test ammo. The same ammo that came in at #1 in my 10/22, finished 7th in accuracy for my bolt action .22. The ammo that came in second place on my bolt action, finished 10th on my 10/22, and first in the bolt action was 4th on the 10/22. Different ammo can make a huge difference for any particular firearm.

Absolutely. One of the more frustrating things about .22 for me is the lack of quality ammo. I've shot great groups with my 10/22 and Federal match ammo but I would struggle to call that match ammo. I've shot great groups with mini mags as well only to have the next group be all over. I've thought about picking up a CZ 455 but would rather put the time into centerfire guns that I can control the ammo.

Not into anything rimfire, but there is a silenced 10/22 on this patch:

587578-34c5e449eabc4cf033bc4db8c26cbd3e.jpg

As to accuracy, how do I put this delicately:

When you tinker with it, look at Kidd parts. They make excellent upgrades.

The heart of any .22 rimfire rifle accuracy, lies within the barrel. A GOOD .22 rimfire barrel will shoot very acceptable groups like "minute of squirrel noggin" at 50 to 75 yards. A poor shooting .22 rimfire barrel makes a great tomato plant stake.
Tony Kidd makes some very superb .22 rimfire barrels.

The heart of any .22 rimfire rifle accuracy, lies within the barrel. A GOOD .22 rimfire barrel will shoot very acceptable groups like "minute of squirrel noggin" at 50 to 75 yards. A poor shooting .22 rimfire barrel makes a great tomato plant stake.
Tony Kidd makes some very superb .22 rimfire barrels.
I just got back from shooting my Kidd rifle.

From what I've read around here, so far, this site has some pretty savvy 10/22 owners with plenty of "know-how" as to how to make one of these rifles perform better. I can't see venturing off elsewhere.
The one "other" site that seems to get a lot of ink, is just a regurgitation of what an old member there, "Cletus", wrote about many years ago involving the 10/22 and his modifications. These rifles are not that hard to work with and "personalize".

I've found that the older 10/22's seem to shoot way better than the new ones. That is, unless you pour some money into a new one. As others have said; get a good barrel first. Personally, I'm a Fedderson fan. Then, a great trigger will make a huge difference. I like two stage Kidd trigger groups. (Bought both of them used, as I can't afford new ones). Then figure out what ammo it likes the best, and shoot it...a LOT! I've got one 10/22, that the only Ruger part is the magazine. My Dad has a very early "Deluxe" model, (no barrel band), that will almost run with any of mine.

Test ammo methodically. Experiment with action screw torque, makes huge difference. Try with barrel band off. Float it. Unfloat it with pieces of innertube at various points between barrel and stock. I could literally spend a year playing with these guns, trying different easy mods. It's a rabbit hole for sure. 2 moa shouldnt be difficult. Volq. hammer kit is cheap and makes big difference. Have fun! Cci minimags shoot well in everything and i believe are best power/accuracy vs price. Aguila shoots well too, for cheap. And cci standard velocity wil most likely get you 2moa without any mod

Very well put Aczrad. It's a rabbit hole to be sure. Action screw tension can make a HUGE difference. Then, after one has played with that for awhile...go ahead and put a nutsert in the forend a couple inches back from the tip, and run a set screw up from the bottom for l little more barrel tension/support. Oh yeah, then get a two stage Kidd trigger group, and then a couple different barrels...and on down the rabbit hole we go!

Find the right "10/22" & ammo combo and this happens.
50y, 5 shot groups. 1" sticky circles (I think).

7EC86C66-03B8-4ADA-A2F3-C75019CB95F6.jpeg

I would say that a stock 10/22 will shoot around 1" groups at 50 yards. Maybe half that with ammo it really likes and a cherry picked group.

The barrel slides right in and out. Its held in place by a V-block. And about a 5 minute job to replace.

US20100170130A1-20100708-D00000.png

My stock 10/22 take-down at 25 yards and 50. I was sighting in a Leupold Rifleman 2-7 .22 cal scope, nothing too serious. I think it could do better if i put in more time. And i hope it was breezy. lol

P1010800.JPG

25 yards
P1010803.JPG

50 yards

P1010856.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR