JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My opinion if your looking for accuracy get a savage mark iibv with accutrigger. Only downside most guys claim is that its a bolt action 5 round 22. But if its really accuracy you want without spending tons of cash........

Well I got a stainless synthetic version of the 10-22 and I am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy right out of the box despite the factory trigger. Definitely has 1 moa potential at 100 yds. It shoots 10 shots into a ragged hole at 20 yds. I have ordered some trigger parts to help in that department but I think that is all I will do to it for it's intended purpose.

I don't think with a 10/22 you could measure any substantial accuracy differences between a chrome moly barrel and stainless. Most short range benchrest rifles are built with stainless barrels and will shoot with incredible accuracy, so I don't think there is any merit in the speculation you heard.

As for accuracy, most 10/22 rifles are far from what I consider an accurate rifle. Very enjoyable to shot, just don't expect very small groups. You suggest 2moa but don't specify a distance. My experience with 10/22 rifles is they are hard pressed to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards and a two inch five shot group at 100 yards is pretty darn good. You might do better with high quality ammo, but you can only expect so much accuracy from a pressed in barrel.

You can dump a lot of money into a 10/22 and improve accuracy some what. I ones I've shot that were customized would shoot better, but only marginally so. I like 10/22s for what they are...extremely fun to shoot tin cans and blast away at targets. If you are interested in accuracy, I would lean toward a Savage or CZ bolt action rifle.

I agree. a CZ is the way to go. I have a CZ455 22lr. and is very accurate. I've had it about 6 months now. Still looking for the best ammo it likes. But does really good on the German and English Brands.

I am looking to add a 10/22 to the stable and I would like to know what I can reasonably expect for accuracy. I am looking for a stainless carbine barreled model. With ammo it likes could I expect 2 moa? I have heard speculation that the stainless barrels are not as accurate as the blued. Is there any truth to this? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I used to have one of these 22" barrel models and it was really accurate (meaning easy to shoot it accurately) using iron sights. I think u can still buy them at Walmart but am not sure on that. They aren't that expensive. The only thing I did to mine was polish the receiver for looks only. The receivers are aluminum but painted aluminum color. So you can remove the paint and polish with a dremel to have polished aluminum look pretty easily and it matches really well with the stainless barrel. I don't like that painted aluminum look personally.

Last Edited:
Get both.

Rugers-001.jpg

Actually, I got both of them because the pawnshop had them on that particular day. And, I got a deal by buying both at the same time. Back then, IIRC, it was $300 for both and another $10 for the background check.

OK....not SS. But, you're gonna end up changing the bbl anyway and the trigger group is plastic so.......

Aloha, Mark

I sold all my semi 22s for bolts but recently picked up a Ruger for the reliability. Until it gets really dirty they will function like no other.
The 10-22 is a great rifle. However, it's not as accurate as some of these guys are letting on. I compete against them all the time. I've just not seen the level of accuracy some of you guys speak of. It's often hit and miss. And the post about it being more accurate than the shooter, is laughable. Sorry, just not going to see that in a stock 10-22. A highly modified one, maybe. I actually sold all of my 10-22's after I bought my Savage A17. It just shoots better on average than any out of the box Ruger 10-22...
DKyCS5b.jpg

I'd go along with the first poster that said you'd be darn lucky to have a 2 moa (as the op requested) 5 shot group shooter right out of the box. If my club has another turkey shoot this fall, I'll invite any of you guys to come and show me how accurate your 10-22's are. It will be great fun...
BDo7IcK.jpg

IMHO.....
Buy the standard configuration. Go shoot some.

Then.....
Replace the bbl (you'll also probably want a new stock or modify your standard one). Add a new VQ hammer kit. Take it shooting. You'll be amazed.

IMG-0654.jpg

Copy-of-GEDC1138-1-1.jpg

Either way....you'll also need to add a scope to just see better.

IMG-0653.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS......ammo varies. So, buy what you'd like to TEST. Buy a case (or two) when you find THE ONE YOU LIKE the best.

BTW....in stock form.....with just the addition of a cheap red dot and pulling the trigger "quickly upon sight acquisition".....I got this.

IMG-0577.jpg

I'd be thinking......good enough, for a new shooter to get started with.

Aloha, Mark

True to my word my 10/22 is pretty much stock except I did some trigger work. It is solidly a 2moa rifle as I was hoping, so not sure I will mess with it as it is plenty accurate for my intended uses. It has accounted for many grouse, rats and other vermin as well as paper bullseyes and reactive targets. Thumbs up ruger for building a damn fine Wa "assault rifle".:cool:

Half the fun of a 10/22, IMO, is in the mods. Endless supply of stocks, barrels, triggers, magazines, bolts, etc.

It's like legos for gun people.

Buy a stock one for less than 200 and it'll be more accurate than you think. Then do whatever to it and the accuracy will probably perk up a little.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top