Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

10/22 accuracy

Reactions
My opinion if your looking for accuracy get a savage mark iibv with accutrigger. Only downside most guys claim is that its a bolt action 5 round 22. But if its really accuracy you want without spending tons of cash........

OP
osprey

osprey

Reactions
Well I got a stainless synthetic version of the 10-22 and I am pleasantly surprised with the accuracy right out of the box despite the factory trigger. Definitely has 1 moa potential at 100 yds. It shoots 10 shots into a ragged hole at 20 yds. I have ordered some trigger parts to help in that department but I think that is all I will do to it for it's intended purpose.

Reactions
I don't think with a 10/22 you could measure any substantial accuracy differences between a chrome moly barrel and stainless. Most short range benchrest rifles are built with stainless barrels and will shoot with incredible accuracy, so I don't think there is any merit in the speculation you heard.

As for accuracy, most 10/22 rifles are far from what I consider an accurate rifle. Very enjoyable to shot, just don't expect very small groups. You suggest 2moa but don't specify a distance. My experience with 10/22 rifles is they are hard pressed to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards and a two inch five shot group at 100 yards is pretty darn good. You might do better with high quality ammo, but you can only expect so much accuracy from a pressed in barrel.

You can dump a lot of money into a 10/22 and improve accuracy some what. I ones I've shot that were customized would shoot better, but only marginally so. I like 10/22s for what they are...extremely fun to shoot tin cans and blast away at targets. If you are interested in accuracy, I would lean toward a Savage or CZ bolt action rifle.

Reactions
I agree. a CZ is the way to go. I have a CZ455 22lr. and is very accurate. I've had it about 6 months now. Still looking for the best ammo it likes. But does really good on the German and English Brands.

ilikegunspdx

Reactions
I am looking to add a 10/22 to the stable and I would like to know what I can reasonably expect for accuracy. I am looking for a stainless carbine barreled model. With ammo it likes could I expect 2 moa? I have heard speculation that the stainless barrels are not as accurate as the blued. Is there any truth to this? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
I used to have one of these 22” barrel models and it was really accurate (meaning easy to shoot it accurately) using iron sights. I think u can still buy them at Walmart but am not sure on that. They aren't that expensive. The only thing I did to mine was polish the receiver for looks only. The receivers are aluminum but painted aluminum color. So you can remove the paint and polish with a dremel to have polished aluminum look pretty easily and it matches really well with the stainless barrel. I don’t like that painted aluminum look personally.

Last edited:

ma96782

Reactions
Get both.

Rugers-001.jpg

Actually, I got both of them because the pawnshop had them on that particular day. And, I got a deal by buying both at the same time. Back then, IIRC, it was $300 for both and another $10 for the background check.

OK....not SS. But, you're gonna end up changing the bbl anyway and the trigger group is plastic so.......

Aloha, Mark

LATEST REVIEWS

• Northwest Arsenal
    4.00 star(s)
    I have been there at least a couples times. We popped in today to see if the had a PS90. They...
    • CountryGent
  • Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy. I've done multiple private transfers over several years. Knowledgeable and thorough.
    • markebrit
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47

Staff online