JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to add a 10/22 to the stable and I would like to know what I can reasonably expect for accuracy. I am looking for a stainless carbine barreled model. With ammo it likes could I expect 2 moa? I have heard speculation that the stainless barrels are not as accurate as the blued. Is there any truth to this? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I don't think with a 10/22 you could measure any substantial accuracy differences between a chrome moly barrel and stainless. Most short range benchrest rifles are built with stainless barrels and will shoot with incredible accuracy, so I don't think there is any merit in the speculation you heard.

As for accuracy, most 10/22 rifles are far from what I consider an accurate rifle. Very enjoyable to shot, just don't expect very small groups. You suggest 2moa but don't specify a distance. My experience with 10/22 rifles is they are hard pressed to shoot 1 inch groups at 50 yards and a two inch five shot group at 100 yards is pretty darn good. You might do better with high quality ammo, but you can only expect so much accuracy from a pressed in barrel.

You can dump a lot of money into a 10/22 and improve accuracy some what. I ones I've shot that were customized would shoot better, but only marginally so. I like 10/22s for what they are...extremely fun to shoot tin cans and blast away at targets. If you are interested in accuracy, I would lean toward a Savage or CZ bolt action rifle.

I decide I needed a 10 22. There was one at the local store with all the goodies the cool kids have. Hammer forged bull barrel,stainless steal,Fajen? adjustable stock.
I wasn't sure but decided I would get all that stuff later anyway.
Shot pretty darn good with Blazer ammo.

So my buddy sells me his blue barrel,synthetic stocked minimalist type 10 22 for half of what I paid for the hot rod.
Shot every bit as well if not a little better.
Then someone brings in a beater to the store. The thing hung over his smoking chair I guess. But it cleaned up real nice.
It is a cheapo stainless,basic 10 22 with open sights and I can hit any shotgun shell within 75 yards with it very easily.

The fajen stocked rifle got a Volquartsen trigger group and needs to be put on paper to see what it really does but the cheapos I have had were stupid accurate for $100 and $200 guns.
A little testing with ammo and you should do 1moa easily.

I have a 10/22 and a Marlin 795. Straight out of the box, the 795 is known to be a little better shooter (It has a better stock barrel). However the 10/22 is like the honda civic of rifles... You can buy just about anything for it.
One thing about the 10/22 is the barrel band. You can experiment with swapping it out for a metal one, or remove it all together to improve accuracy.

My son's stainless 10/22 is a great shooter with st vel hunting ammo,My custom 10/22 will shoot dime sized group @50yrds, that said my savage bolt gun with match ammo will shoot 1/4-3/8's groups @50yrds.

Thanks for the replies guys.2 moa is the goal at all ranges out to 100 yds or so. I probably will just buy one and tinker with it. I would like to get it accurate enough to compete with the Cmmg 22 AR upper I have. The wife and I like to shoot dueling trees and other target games for entertainment. If the 10/22 was not close to on par with the Cmmg she would want to steal it from me and I would probably end up buying another. I've owned a bunch of different guns over the years but never a 10-22. Probably time to change that.

Mentioned on another thread, at a recent Appleseed I scored several points higher (221 vs 229, I think) on a Rifleman qualification with a stock 10/22 carbine fitted with Tech Sights open sights than I did with a Colt LE6920 with an Aimpoint Pro red dot. I found that good ammo was the key to getting good groups with the 10/22...it does OK with Federal bulk for instance, but the groups tighten by half if I use CCI Mini-mag. I'd recommend getting familiar with the rifle you choose before you start dumping tons of money into it that you might not need to.

Keith

Lots of opinions here, some helpful some not. Just some observations on the feedback. 2 moa is 2 moa no matter what the range. I am only interested in accuracy in stock form at this point so hitting a fly at 200 paces with an aftermarket barrel is not relevant to this query. I am aware that there is a potential for more accuracy with different platforms in this caliber. Again this is not germane to this discussion as I am only interested in the accuracy potential of a stock 10-22. Also let's assume for the sake of the discussion that I can do my part and not make a 2 moa rifle shoot 4 moa. Some days this is even true. From some of the posts it sounds like my goal of 2 moa or better is achievable which is good, cause I got one coming. Carry on.

I put some wolf target ammo through my 10/22 at 50 feet and the groups were about a 1/4 in. Though I do have a bull barrel, target stock, and I lightened the stock trigger to under 3 lbs.

Check out rugerforum.net the have all sorts of tricks for better accuracy. I'm planning on going with the green mountain bull barrel cheaper then everybody else's and improves accuracy greatly.

I have a 10/22 target stainless, and a modified 10/22. The factory target stainless is pretty accurate, 1moa @ 100m I can't complain with it too much for a factory gun. The modified gun on the other hand is amazing. It's fitted with the Kidd catalog of parts, and will do 1/4" moa @ 100m. This gun shoots under 1/2" with darn near any ammo all day. It's bedded in a fajen legacy adjustable stock, and makes for a comfy shooter too. I say buy a cheap 10/22, learn how to shoot it as best as you can, then upgrade and hone your skills even more.

I sold all my semi 22s for bolts but recently picked up a Ruger for the reliability. Until it gets really dirty they will function like no other.

everything seems to balance, buy a ruger put a bunch into it maybe 500-700 total and you will have a very accurate rifle, or go buy a very accurate bolt gun for about the same.

when it comes time to sell either the odds of recouping what you have spent are probably better with a factory stock target bolt gun.

note I have not used the terms "investment" or "upgrade" both are BS. Used by gun counter sales twits.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top