JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A friend and his wife have a 47 sailboat. They have run to Hawaii, Tahiti and around the South Pacific. He is a retired Coast Guard officer who commanded a cutter for 5 years. Probably in that area now as it is winter in Central Oregon. He has an EPIRB, HF ham radio with a 30 foot long line antenna, and talks regularly with a friend in Central Oregon on 40 meters. He has a wind generator to recharge his radio batteries. He has a sat phone. Probably has at least 3 GPS navigational aids / devices. He was worked the ISS on 70cm and 2 meters several times. He has 2 AR 15s, with several thousand rounds, couple of handguns, and probably some other goodies no one needs to know about. Probably 6 months worth of food for 3 months of travel. They routinely catch fish for meals.

That is prepared and then some. Something is not adding up on the story.

I've seen a discussion by actual sailors that are skeptical of the story and unconvinced these were 'sailors'. The discussion about having dogs aboard was intense and to the point, while being without suitable radio emergency gear, not to mention the criticism regarding reliance on the motor without any actual 'sail' use raised considerable discussion.

Wouldn't know, not a sailor. Have a few sailor friends, didn't read the details of the story.

I thought the same thing. No master sailor but with the tech we have today? It sure sounded to me like the one who claimed to be an expert was just a rank amateur who had no business attempting what they were trying. They got very lucky to have survived.

Had some friends that decided sailing around the world was part of their bucket list. Dad, Mom and son.
They bought an unfinished 48 foot sail boat, finished it themselves so they knew it inside and out and when they were finally ready Dad took a leave of absence from work and the 3 of them sailed out the columbia and into the ocean for a trip south, and they pulled it in at one of the first ports because of the weather.

They started again after the weather passed, and darned if they didn't find more storms, so back in again.
This went on for a while until they passed California and somewhere off Mexico ran into a real storm. They pulled it into a small port in Mexico and anchored it there. Afraid to ever go back out on the Pacific again.

They Put the boat up for sale and lived in it for a year waiting for a buyer.

Now these guys thought they had it all figured out. They would live on board, and sail the seas traveling the world. They just didn't have the experience with the Ocean to face it fearlessly. Discovered they were lake and river sailors, not sea sailors. Some people just aren't ready for an adventure, even when they think they are.

Based on what I see, Fake news.
But, what do I know, I've never been lost at sea. Or did they stay below deck for all that time?
I'd like to see the actual rescue pictures. The people in the interview don't look like I would expect someone lost at sea for 5 months to look like.
Where is there any indication they had bad sun? I see people who had great hygiene over the last 5 months. How about food rationing? I don't see any gaunt features. (then again, I come across PCT'ers in Oregon who have hiked all the way up from Campos, MX - the men are gaunt as hell and the women still have baby-fat in their cheeks.)
She thought she was going to die in the next 24 hours? I see a pretty darned healthy person there....

What's wrong with this picture?
  1. Mast doesn't appear damaged, nor the rigging.
  2. The main looks like it was pulled down in a hurry, but not furled properly. It's a sail boat, wind is your power. Unless your mast is snapped and all the rigging down, you use partial sail to get somewhere....
  3. Who the F sets sail for a thousand mile journey with the dock bumper still hanging on the side? Or without proper equipment?
upload_2017-10-28_7-11-58.png

The dogs must have never worn those flotation vests. Nice nail trim on that pooch too.
[edit to add] On my dogs, that pooch has about 1 - 2 months nail growth from a really tight trim.
upload_2017-10-28_7-25-34.png

My bad, in the beginning of the video, the woman is placing the boat bumper over the side.
Everything about this seemed off to me. I have a friend who specializes in reading people, had her look at the video, and this is what she said : [ETA] At full motion video she picked up on these things. I never saw them until she had me do a frame by frame advance.
  1. In the interview, the younger woman on the left doesn't totally agree with the things said by the Appel. She had me stop at several points and she said,
    1. (0:44) she's disagreeing here - a subtle shake of the head
    2. (0:55) Appel is lying there - this woman is showing shame, evidenced by pursing of the lips and looking down
    3. (0:57) Oh, she's really lying there - a clamping the lips so much they disappear.
  2. She took one look at Appel and said, "that woman has had some major drug issues."
  3. My friend has dealt with people who have emerged from massively stressful situations, she also said,
    1. "these women are not showing any chemistry, there's a conflict between them."
    2. "their emotion doesn't match the situation. You would expect at least one to be tearing up dramatically after being rescued from five months at sea. Both are stoic. Something's not right." She said her gut feeling was they were faking it.
She asked me, why would these women lie? I said to write a book, and that perhaps the Navy will nail you to the cross if they dispatch a ship to save you and you faked needing saving.
[ETA] Would the Navy prosecute under such circumstances?

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads