JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
SEA STORY: Two women and their dogs rescued after 5 months adrift in the Pacific.

The group had left Hawaii in the spring, bound for Tahiti, but ran into trouble on May 30 when bad weather damaged their sailboat's engine. The women decided to keep sailing, but strayed off course, according to the Navy.

After two months — past the time they estimated they would arrive in Tahiti — the Honolulu residents began sending out daily distress calls, the Navy said.

But they were too far away from other boats and shore stations to be heard.

"You can't get any help at all because you're in the middle of nowhere," Fuiava said in the call.

Appel and Fuiava survived on a year's worth of dry goods including oatmeal, pasta and rice, the Navy said. They also had a water purifier.

Sounds like they were prepared for the worst.

Stephen Green

And not capeable of powering by sail to safety. So, are they hero's for surviving and being rescued or idiots for not having enough knowledge to repair the engine and/or sail the boat as intended? It reminds me of the stories my USCG son tells about interdicting drug runners at sea. When they know they are caught, they either scuttle the boat or light it on fire changing the mission to rescue. I am glad the dogs survived.

Sounds like they were prepared for the worst.
I've seen a discussion by actual sailors that are skeptical of the story and unconvinced these were 'sailors'. The discussion about having dogs aboard was intense and to the point, while being without suitable radio emergency gear, not to mention the criticism regarding reliance on the motor without any actual 'sail' use raised considerable discussion.

Wouldn't know, not a sailor. Have a few sailor friends, didn't read the details of the story.

Maby a set up to write a book? The story just doesn't add up. We followed the Transpacific race one year with one of our tugs as a safety boat. Never had any trouble keeping track of the boats and they were all under sail.

And they didn't even have to eat the dogs

When my wife decided to go to all natural dog food she told me we could eat it if things got bad. I told her we would eat the dog first, them move to the dog food. Don't get me wrong, I love our dogs, but if things are so bad we are eating dog food, I'm eating the dog while it has some meet on its bones, then going for the dog food.

When my wife decided to go to all natural dog food she told me we could eat it if things got bad. I told her we would eat the dog first, them move to the dog food. Don't get me wrong, I love our dogs, but if things are so bad we are eating dog food, I'm eating the dog while it has some meet on its bones, then going for the dog food.

That is what you think right now. Although we have been dog less for a year now, if my wife was given the choice between me and the dog, I would be packing my sh*t way before the dog was.

After you dine on the last of the dog food, what or who next?

Supposedly the sail broke somehow, and the back up engine also failed?!?!?! Just me, but if I was to try something like what these ladies did, i would have spare parts and equipement for both my sail as well as my engine! The radio failed, why no back ups? Why no sat phone? Cell phones don't cut it! At least they had lots of food! Stupid is as stupid does!

Supposedly the sail broke somehow, and the back up engine also failed?!?!?! Just me, but if I was to try something like what these ladies did, i would have spare parts and equipement for both my sail as well as my engine! The radio failed, why no back ups? Why no sat phone? Cell phones don't cut it! At least they had lots of food! Stupid is as stupid does!
This type boat has one main engine and usually a separate generator. If a mast is damaged, you just rig a smaller sail. They said the main engine was flooded in a storm, not a difficult or fatal issue unless you suck water in and it hydrolocks. The sailers that l know seldom run the main outside of a harbor or unless becalmed (I am a power boat guy, it is a point of pride to a sailer) They must have had generator (electric) power to run the water maker. Batteries would run the radios for a long time without recharge but water makers operate with a high pressure pump to drive seawater through a membrane so small it filters the salt out. Takes a fair amount of power. Even high end off shore race boats operate on reduced sail if the wind is high or the rigging is damaged. My commercial (marine) trade publications are suspect of the story as well. Either incredibly stupid or a set up deal. You can also make fresh water by boiling seawater on a stove if needed and a solar still will also produce enough good water to keep a person alive. An EPIRB would have been basic equipment for this type of voyage as well.

This type boat has one main engine and usually a separate generator. If a mast is damaged, you just rig a smaller sail. They said the main engine was flooded in a storm, not a difficult or fatal issue unless you suck water in and it hydrolocks. The sailers that l know seldom run the main outside of a harbor or unless becalmed (I am a power boat guy, it is a point of pride to a sailer) They must have had generator (electric) power to run the water maker. Batteries would run the radios for a long time without recharge but water makers operate with a high pressure pump to drive seawater through a membrane so small it filters the salt out. Takes a fair amount of power. Even high end off shore race boats operate on reduced sail if the wind is high or the rigging is damaged. My commercial (marine) trade publications are suspect of the story as well. Either incredibly stupid or a set up deal. You can also make fresh water by boiling seawater on a stove if needed and a solar still will also produce enough good water to keep a person alive. An EPIRB would have been basic equipment for this type of voyage as well.
Vegans don't think ahead.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads