JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why are there so many people with an aversion to shipping? I truly dont understand it. I love this site. And I have had an absolute blast meeting people and buying/selling/trading over the last several years.

That being said, the sheer amount of people that are completely unwilling to ship anything, I will never understand. Especially when it comes to firearms. It is literally the easiest thing you could possibly do.The FFL does all the work, and you dont have to wait...

The only case I can come up with, is dealing with someone that doesnt have any feedback or doesnt have GOOD feedback, since you arent 100% sure they will pass a BGC....so just...dont deal with those people...problem solved.

Or, an argument could be made for payment..but seriously...payment up front...then you hand it off to the FFL...ABSOLUTE WORST CASE SCENARIO, the person doesnt pass a BGC, and the firearm gets shipped back to your FFL...

What am I missing? Haven't had a single problem yet with a shipper, or a payee in several years of trading, but it seems that finding people willing to ship is getting harder and harder.
I can give you one reason if you are in one of the 27 states that respects its citizens' constitutional rights, you can transact a private party sale w/o the need for a FFL to intervene. I would therefore prefer to meet face-to-face as even in those states, it is a good idea to create a record of the transaction that the private parties will keep. ID, MT, WY are among those states, as are AZ, NM, UT, and NV which covers the territory of NWFA and SWFA. The laws vary by state, but generally the responsibility of the seller ends at assuring the buyer is at least 18, so take a peek at a valid ID. I have sold a number of firearms in AZ, for example, and the only crime that could be committed would be by a prohibited person purchasing a firearm from a private party. There is no obligation on the part of the seller to ascertain if the buyer is eligible to own a firearm. For about $5, you can download a record of firearm transaction where you list the make, model, s/n, buyer's name, seller's name, etc.. This is a very good idea. I have always met buyers in person for a cash only sale in the parking lot of my favorite gun shop, and will be one of the few times you would ever see me OC. Never had a problem.

Last Edited:
That may be true for casual stuff, but I own an ammo business and have to take my freight to the UPS depot to ship, no home pick up and no UPS store. I do box and label it here, but pay the freight at the depot.
My experience shipping ammo has been different, of I course I am not a commercial seller. According to UPS as long as it labeled correctly, ORM D in the right spots, not over weight (50 lbs I believe), and shipped via ground, you can arrange directly through ups web page or app to have the package picked up from your front door. Pretty sure FedEx offers the same.

I have shipped a lot of guns over the years and rifles are a pain. I recently shipped an old Savage 99 to a guy in Kansas IIRC. I put it in a cheap plastic case and the case went into a cardboard box. Everything was padded and included some dies and brass. It cost a bit over $70 and my LGS wanted $100. I thought they were crazy charging that much but by the time I was done the $100 didn't look so bad.

Quotes about Burger (119 quotes)

Why are there so many people with an aversion to shipping? I truly dont understand it. I love this site. And I have had an absolute blast meeting people and buying/selling/trading over the last several years.

That being said, the sheer amount of people that are completely unwilling to ship anything, I will never understand. Especially when it comes to firearms. It is literally the easiest thing you could possibly do.The FFL does all the work, and you dont have to wait...

The only case I can come up with, is dealing with someone that doesnt have any feedback or doesnt have GOOD feedback, since you arent 100% sure they will pass a BGC....so just...dont deal with those people...problem solved.

Or, an argument could be made for payment..but seriously...payment up front...then you hand it off to the FFL...ABSOLUTE WORST CASE SCENARIO, the person doesnt pass a BGC, and the firearm gets shipped back to your FFL...

What am I missing? Haven't had a single problem yet with a shipper, or a payee in several years of trading, but it seems that finding people willing to ship is getting harder and harder.
I prefer not to ship. It requires effort on my part and then there's always the possibility that something didn't show up in the 20 or so pictures I sent the guy so that when he gets it, he decides he doesn't like it. On the other hand, with face to face selling, the buyer gets to inspect it in person and once we shake hands, the deal is closed. Thanks for the cash, I'm outta here. Only once have I shipped a gun and it worked out fine but, as a rule, there's always someone within driving distance who will want what I'm selling.

Most people would rather spend 4-hours in a car and gas money instead of paying for shipping is what I have determined.
Not that so much as wanting to be able to inspect the item before sending one's money off to a complete stranger.

I've done a lot of shipping, not just gun stuff but general mdse. and collectibles on ebay, etc. Some people just plain don't want the trouble of packing and shipping anything. So there's that.

Then there is gun stuff. Not just guns, but ammo and reloading components. Non sensitive items like dies, scopes and what not, those aren't too involved beyond the normal hazards of shipping anything. But shipping guns, you need to be some knowledgable and some savvy to do it properly and legally. Because it can get nuanced due to what it is and where it's going. Ammo, that takes a bit of care and proper shipping to do. Bullets, no problem, they are just normal mdse. But powder and primers, that takes you into a whole new territory, something even I won't get into.

Made the long drive to the FFL, found my pistol in their used gun case.
Oh that is very raw. So much for an honest businessman. Hey, he figured you weren't coming.

Shipping is just plain expensive! The last handgun I shipped was via UPS and ran $80.
It can be. Handguns, I turn over to an FFL dealer, he can ship them by Priority Mail flat rate box, not too expensive for him. A non licensee can't do that. Long guns, I ship myself to the receiving FFL, usually by USPS. I haven't tried the Ship My Gun yet. I've gotten quotes, somehow I haven't taken that final step. My UPS hub is very cooperative, but you are required to declare the contents, I haven't tested them yet that I'm shipping a gun and I'm not a licensee. Which some UPS employees question. I don't have any claims experience with UPS; I know the ropes with USPS claims so that contributes to a certain comfort zone. I worry a little about the claims process using Ship My Gun insofar as it involves a fourth party, Bud's Gun Shop, as I believe it ships out under their corporate permit.

The many guns I've sold on Gunbroker, I build the shipping (and FFL fee for handgun, if applicable) into the listing. So buyers see that right out front. I watch what other sellers charge, usually that is a gauge as to what the going rate is. I settled on a flat shipping fee long ago; trying to manage shipping charges based on distance got too involved with GB invoicing. If they want it, they'll buy it.

Payment, online sales of gun stuff, US Postal Money Order only. Some people won't buy if they can't use a CC, they want the protections. In my listings, I put "see my feedback history" which is not only unblemished but sometimes laudatory. I don't worry that not taking CC or other forms of payment will diminish my chances of a sale. Once again, if they want it, they'll buy it.

Not that so much as wanting to be able to inspect the item before sending one's money off to a complete stranger.
Having said that I will pretty freely ship if the circumstances are favorable, I will add that I've very rarely bought a gun from a distance and not for over 40 years. For the same reason GWS points out above, I want to see what I'm getting by holding it in my hands.

As to "no shipping" perhaps being an attitude more common on NWFA. The collective mental state on NWFA, as we've discussed in other threads, tends to be a conservative one. This may explain some of the resistance to being willing to ship.

Tried it once, I was the seller, shipped gun to a recommend "reputable" FFL", long story short, there was an issue with the buyer's background check and I didn't get my gun back timely. The buyer said deal with the FFL, not his problem anymore. FFL wouldn't respond to calls. Made the long drive to the FFL, found my pistol in their used gun case.

Told the FFL am reporting the gun stolen and filing a complaint against their FFL with the ATF.... I eventually got my pistol back.

Swore I would never ship an FFL item ever again, I don't care if the buyer is reputable or the FFL recommend.
Did you already have the money, or did you return it?

You better believe it! Tapes or LP. Tapes could go with you in the car, walkman, or cassette recorder. CDs? What are those?
8-tracks, baby! My first ride cost me $300. I spent more on the 8-track player and sound system than I did on the whole phuq'n car! :s0140:

Last Edited:
There's like 40,000 members on this site. 39,500 of them only come here to buy and sell shtuff. The only posts they make outside of the classifieds is to whine and complain about their buying and selling experience.

Maybe Joe Link can make a section in the classifieds just for that, because...

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CRAPPY EXPERIENCE WITH BUYING AND SELLING CRAP.

Don't like it, shop at Cabelas or go the eff back to Armslist, or start your own site.

There's like 40,000 members on this site. 39,500 of them only come here to buy and sell shtuff. The only posts they make outside of the classifieds is to whine and complain about their buying and selling experience.

Maybe Joe Link can make a section in the classifieds just for that, because...

I DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR CRAPPY EXPERIENCE WITH BUYING AND SELLING CRAP.

Don't like it, shop at Cabelas or go the eff back to Armslist, or start your own site.
Don't hold back, man... how do you really feel?

There's always Reddit, they seem like a fun crew.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top