Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

1 inch groups

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IheartGUNS, Oct 8, 2012.

1. IheartGUNS

IheartGUNS WaCo Well-Known Member

Is it possible to shoot 1in groups @ 100yds with a 10x fixed scope? Sorry if this is a dumb question.

2. rdt

rdt SW Portland Active Member

yes

3. geometro

geometro PDX Active Member

...if whatever it's on can shoot < MOA....

4. IheartGUNS

Damn I must really suck then haha.

5. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

During WWII-Vietnam US Sniper rifles used 8X scopes.

6. Uberdillo

Uberdillo Oregon Active Member

There's gotta be people (not a lot) shooting 1.5 MOA or better using iron sights. If the gun and ammunition combo can do it, then it's all on the shooter. So what are you using?

7. IheartGUNS

1.5 moa or better with iron sights? I was shooting my friends H&R single shot rifle(.223) using factory ammo w/ a bushnell scope and I was shooting 1.5 inch groups. Maybe I need more practice, I hardly shoot with a scope, I have no reason for it.

8. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

That's about right for an H&R single shot with or without scope. Your shooting as good as I do.

9. joken

joken Corvallis Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Plenty of scope if the rifle and shooter do their job.

10. jonn5335

jonn5335 Longview Active Member

The rifle or ammo may not be up to sub-moa performance. When punching paper for sub moa groups a lot more than ammo and rifle comes into play scope and shooter are a big part as well as trigger pull weight/length. Practice your breathing, shooting position, trigger pull, flinching, and follow through. I like to take 3 deep breaths and pull the trigger on my exhale inbetween heartbeats

11. longcolt

longcolt Zephyrhills, FL Active Member

Its all about practice, practice and more practice to get consistent groups. Of course you need a good rifle and match ammo.

12. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

10X at 100 yards? IMHO that is too much scope, but if the scope is any good, it should not be a problem.

As for 1" at 100 yards...depends on the gun and the shooter. I have a gun that will shoot clover leaves at 200m, 6.5mm bullet. I, personally, cannot do that any more (getting to old and shaky), but the rifle can.

I also know that it takes specific bullets, and specific loads to do that...so...you might want to try different manufacturers, or you might want try handload. It has been my experience that if you load down a grain or two from the max load you will be more accurate.

Another thing that matters is what weapon are you shooting? and what caliber round. It is a lot easier to shoot accurately with a rifle/cal that you are not worried about the recoil with, then one you are. One of the reasons most people would be more accurate with a 6.5 swede then with a .264 Winchester magnum. same bullet, just the Swede is a bit more gentle on the sholder and ears.

Oh, just caught that it was .223. so recoil should not be a problem. Cheap ammo could be, the length of the bullet v the twist rate of the barrel, the trigger weight/creep...lot's of things.

13. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

I posted earlier and will again. More specifically this time. I have an old H&R Topper .30-30 w/ accessory 20 gauge shotgun barrel. .30-30 barrel is equipped with a peep sight. I zeroed it at 100 yds. with whatever old ammo I had. It shot about 1.5" groups. I then took some time and attempted to cook up the ultimate handload for that rifle. I forgot what powder or charge I used but I shot 1.5" groups with that too. Since then I've shot 1.5 MOA groups with every load I've used in that rifle, some guns are like that. I use peep sights on a lot of my rifles and guess what ? They all shoot about 1.5 MOA. I'm a good shot....not Camp Perry good, but pretty good. Assume you are as well. Disclaimer: I have zero experience with newer H&R rifles. That may or may not be a wild card but I doubt it.

14. Dave Workman

Dave Workman Western Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oh, absolutely, as our colleagues have stated. I have a 3.5-10X Swarovski on my .06 and I can punch groups like that all day long with the right loads. It takes a bit of concentration, of course, and good trigger control.

There's more to it than just burning powder.

If you have a rifle that shoots even 2" groups, that's plenty for knocking down game. But it's always nice to have an MOA rifle.

15. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Oh yes, one other thing...not knowing H&R rifles...the crown is important...not difficult to recrown most rifles.

16. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I think for a while the marine's M40 had a fixed 10x scope. Those are certainly capable of sub moa. If the gun isn't capable of it though, it doesn't matter because you'll never achieve the accuracy.

17. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

10X is fine for 100 or even 200 yards. If you're not going to shoot a less than 100 yards you can get more for your money by going with a fixed power scope. They tend to be clearer than a variable power scope because they have fewer lenses in them.

Ammo can make a huge difference. I have a rifle that shoots 2" groups at 100 yards with PMC, 1 1/4" with Black Hills and 1/2" with hand loads that I specifically developed for it.

Or you can just switch to 3 shot groups. ;)