JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
anyone out there have one of these tried and trued?

this will be for my 1951 Win Mod. 70 30-06.

looking for a Varmint load.

150 - 160 grain load

and a max load for elk and whatever else.

I have IMR4350, Varget, and Benchmark ready to go for these.

Thanks.

nice,

do you or does anyone else out there run a smaller round? like a 125 grain? is there any benefit of using the 125 over the 155?

also, what is a max distance on the load you just gave me? 500 yds. 700 yds. 100 yds.?

iv shot out to 650 with that load and can hit a gong 2'X2' i have shot 125 Hp's and the V-max...my gun just dont like thim.....that load i gave you works good on anything from a rabbit to deer.."thats all i have shot" id try it on a bear too...

putty much get one load going for your O6 that it rilly likes and stick with it..if you got from a 125 to 155 or 168 you will need to site your gun to that Gr .....and with a 1-10" twist ...id stay with 150-168 Gr all i shoot is 155 and 168 thay shoot the same in my gun

My pet load is a 180 grain Nosler ballistic tip or accubond in front of 48.5 grains of IMR 4064. It shoots 1/2 to 1 MOA out to 300 yards. I haven't had a chance to shoot it past 300. Out of my stubby 21 inch barrel, it's movin' just shy of 2700fps.

180 gr. would be perfect for elk and what not....

anyone out there have a light flatter flying round for those 500-700 yard 'yote shots?
110-140 gr.?

125 grain loads?

Just remember that a lighter bullet may have a slightly flatter trajectory then the heavier ones, but it will also be be pushed further off target by the wind. Drop is a constant, wind is a variable. There is no way you are shooting out past 500 yards without correcting for drop and wind. The lighter bullets loose velocity faster then the heavier ones. A 125 grain bullet out of a 30-06 starts out 400 fps faster then a 180 grain but at 250 yards they are traveling the same speed. Past 500 yards the 180 actually has a flatter trajectory.

If you are going to get even semi-serious, you need to get a chronograph. You will be able to judge the accuracy of your groups, but no matter what any loading manual says, you will have no idea what speeds your bullets are moving out at. You'll need the speed to calculate drop. Don't assume what the book says is the truth. Every package/combination is different.

I've not used these powders and only one bullet in this weight range so I have no loads to offer. (I shoot 180s in my -06)

Have fun and good luck!

I use 56gr of IMR4350 under a 180 Rem Core Lokt and a Federal primer. Accuracy is consistent 3/4" at 100 yards. I've even gotten groups under 1/2". This load works for deer also. The 1:10 works best with heavier bullets.

I use 56gr of IMR4350 under a 180 Rem Core Lokt and a Federal primer. Accuracy is consistent 3/4" at 100 yards. I've even gotten groups under 1/2". This load works for deer also. The 1:10 works best with heavier bullets.

true... just didn't want to turn a coyote inside out.... I guess the solution is another gun :) a 223 or something would work well for the little guys.

I'm still jealous of that early model 70 .06. I should have bought it while you were still drunk. :D

Imho 1:10 twist won't do a good job on light bullets. Also remember that an .06 will have a less than desirable ballistic coefficient and cross sectional density with light bullets. Lighter bullets should be smaller caliber to maintain the ratio of length to thickness. Simply put, you don't want a combination of short, fat, and light bullet at long range. Stick with the proven .06 bullets - 150 - 180gr.

Get a .270, LOL :D Naw, use your .223/556. :)

A lot of people are still using .06 for 1,000 yard competition although the .308 seems to have a slight edge there now. BUT, they don't use light bullets.

As to a tried an true load, every gun is different. You have to experiment with your gun. Start with setting your bullets back .020 from where they lightly grab the lands and grooves. Go by the book for a medium load, check it with a chrony, and then if that works check it for MOA. Keep adjusting the powder load (but not in excess of recommended) and check with chrony until you can drive nails. That Win 70 should be really accurate.

A chrony is the only defense we have against excessive charges/pressures and/or building wimpy loads.

The most accurate "normal" and affordable bullet I've ever found is the Remington Core-Lokt PSP, but that's just my experience. I helped a guy tune a load for an .06 and we did best with 150gr, but every rifle is different to say the least.

PS. You screwed up selling me that Winchester Defender. I've learned a lot of good things about that model since I bought it. :) Naw, you got good trade. :) Now I'm looking for something similar in Rem Wingmaster or Win 1300 in 12ga with a rifled barrel. :s0155:

PS I like to buy bullets, powder and primers in large lots (same lot #) so that my results are repeatable over time. I keep a log of primer, bullet and powder used, powder charge and OAL (overall loaded length) so I can repeat that.

$.02

good tips! yea I should have kept the defender! tried to buy another one today at a pawn style shop here in town and the guy wouldn't give it up... wouldn't even throw out a price on it.

looks like a 155, and 180- 220 grain loads are going to be what I am looking for... gotta get to it now I guess... need to find someone with a Chrony and an afternoon to mess with it... and a decent scope to go on the ol' '06.

good tips! yea I should have kept the defender! tried to buy another one today at a pawn style shop here in town and the guy wouldn't give it up... wouldn't even throw out a price on it.

looks like a 155, and 180- 220 grain loads are going to be what I am looking for... gotta get to it now I guess... need to find someone with a Chrony and an afternoon to mess with it... and a decent scope to go on the ol' '06.

Very good chrony (just like mine) right here on sale. Need a camera tripod for it imho but they are cheap. This will accept the remote in case you need to use it at a firing range. I don't have or do that because I use mine on my own property to check speeds.

Link to chrony on sale

whats the best for long range accuracy?

What's the best "what?" for long range accuracy? If you mean bullet, I'd start with a 180 grain for "long range" if you mean 500 yards or more. They make match bullets which aren't good for hunting if you're getting into all of that. Sierra's are one popular brand.

With that .06, if you can pull a tight group at 100 yds with a 150 or 180 grain, it should still be tight at 500 yards IF the bullet speed isn't wimpy. A 1" group at 100 yards should be a 5" group at 500 yards. That's very lethal.

As for scope, you can develop loads with a fairly cheap one. You're just looking at 100 yards, and looking at groups, not bullseyes. I have an cheap but new NCStar 3x9x40 you can have if you have nothing.

I've even developed loads shooting 25 yards. You just need the group to be 1/4 of what you want at 100 yards. 25 yards is far enough to stabilize most rounds.

Fact is, I'll bet that most loads recommended in a manual, and most quality factory ammo will group real well out of the box in that rifle. :s0155:

What's the best "what?" for long range accuracy? If you mean bullet, I'd start with a 180 grain for "long range" if you mean 500 yards or more. They make match bullets which aren't good for hunting if you're getting into all of that. Sierra's are one popular brand.

With that .06, if you can pull a tight group at 100 yds with a 150 or 180 grain, it should still be tight at 500 yards IF the bullet speed isn't wimpy. A 1" group at 100 yards should be a 5" group at 500 yards. That's very lethal.

As for scope, you can develop loads with a fairly cheap one. You're just looking at 100 yards, and looking at groups, not bullseyes. I have an cheap but new NCStar 3x9x40 you can have if you have nothing.

I've even developed loads shooting 25 yards. You just need the group to be 1/4 of what you want at 100 yards. 25 yards is far enough to stabilize most rounds.

Fact is, I'll bet that most loads recommended in a manual, and most quality factory ammo will group real well out of the box in that rifle. :s0155:

yes, more or less looking to see what other people were shooting for the 30-06 to get decent distance accuracy. I have a .223 now so what I want is a long distance specific gun.

thanks for the offer on the scope! I have a few 3-9 scopes looking for something in the 20X + range.

I really want to get it dialed for the 500 yd. range.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top