JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So overall consensus is go to a range? Getting to snowy areas is no problem, we do that for fun. Could stretch the time to 90 minutes.
We are very black gun friendly, including the pistol variety and most ranges are not fond of them. Also, paying for pistol/rifle as well as shotgun is a bummer.
Sadly if you look at areal view of Pierce and King County's you will see why. It's getting harder and harder to find a place where there is just no one around for a mile or so that is public and legal. As mentioned there are some places where I know some do shoot. like along the powerline access road. I went and looked at a part of it where a guy I know shoots. I was not comfortable enough to shoot there. It "may" have been fine but since I could not be 100% sure I did not. So if you don't want a range best place I know for sure is up on the big mountain. The roads that lead back to the pits say you need a pass. We did buy one even though I have never seen a Ranger back there. Cost of the pass is I am sure far cheaper than not having one and the Ranger showing up. From this area though this is not going to be a 1 hour trip and the roads that lead to the pits are not open year round. At least they were not last time I was there. They have gates that I guess they lock in the off season.
you should be able to find what you need here;
There are of course lots of places on the east side of the state but again, this is not a quick trip.

Sadly if you look at areal view of Pierce and King County's you will see why. It's getting harder and harder to find a place where there is just no one around for a mile or so that is public and legal. As mentioned there are some places where I know some do shoot. like along the powerline access road. I went and looked at a part of it where a guy I know shoots. I was not comfortable enough to shoot there. It "may" have been fine but since I could not be 100% sure I did not. So if you don't want a range best place I know for sure is up on the big mountain. The roads that lead back to the pits say you need a pass. We did buy one even though I have never seen a Ranger back there. Cost of the pass is I am sure far cheaper than not having one and the Ranger showing up. From this area though this is not going to be a 1 hour trip and the roads that lead to the pits are not open year round. At least they were not last time I was there. They have gates that I guess they lock in the off season.
you should be able to find what you need here;
There are of course lots of places on the east side of the state but again, this is not a quick trip.

Make a weekend trip and camp. I know of 12,500 acres of DNR land is south of Creston. I do some Rock Chuck hunting over there. Pretty much all by yourself out there.

Sadly this is the result of being in the most heavily populated part of the state.
We still have some decent areas down here near Vantucky.

The places 1/2 hour out are crappy though.
We go out on range cleanups to try to keep the mess at bay.
It's Whack-A-Mole though.

Theres some rock pits that are allowed to shoot in up in capital forest. It's a little far from tacoma. But if you go up into the hills, theres usually a spot or two you can be alone at.

Sadly this is the result of being in the most heavily populated part of the state.
We still have some decent areas down here near Vantucky.

The places 1/2 hour out are crappy though.
We go out on range cleanups to try to keep the mess at bay.
It's Whack-A-Mole though.

Heartfelt big thanks for those who keep trying to clean up the mess the damn morons make in places it's still legal to shoot. It's a shame some seem to have been raised with the idea that someone else will always come behind them and clean up their mess but, thankfully many try to keep the public spots cleaned up.

Good choice. Was gonna suggest it but you beat me to it. Make sure you get your Discover pass - $35 dollars for the year. I go here with no problems.

Good choice. Was gonna suggest it but you beat me to it. Make sure you get your Discover pass - $35 dollars for the year. I go here with no problems.

We had one, annual thing for both my dad and my self.
Is there any sort of data on where the pits are? I'm having all sorts of trouble trying to nail down locations.

This is what helped me.. sorry if not allowed, mods.

Google Triangle Pit of Capital forest. The official website does well with directions.
The triangle pit usually sucks. Theres often times several groups there. Everybody I've talked to that has shot there says they saw serious negligence... (shooting perpendicular to the firing line, shooting other people's targets, shooting while people are down range) I sometimes go to look for brass if its empty but never shoot there.

I will however add, they recently cleaned up, gated, and seem to be cracking down on dumb people doing dumb things. So maybe it's better now?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top