JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I bought a new Glock 19 from Rich's on Saturday and took it to my gun club (CVSC) to shoot it, only to find out that the range was closed because GSSF was holding a shooting match there.

I have never shot competitively before, and to be honest it was a little intimidating to see all the people with high-end race guns and "team Glock" shirts etc. I was a complete newbie with a plain-Jane G19 who didn't have the first clue about what was going on, what the rules were, or how the various stages were organized.

Some GSSF guy whose name I don't recall noticed that I looked like a newbie, so he took a few minutes to explain what was happening. It was too late in the day to register, but he encouraged me to come back today and sign up, which I did.

I had an absolute blast! I don't know (or really care) how my scores stacked up against the other competitors, I just had a good time putting my new G19 thru its paces. The GSSF people were very helpful, and at no time did anyone get impatient with my questions or with the fact that I was a total newbie. I felt welcomed and included. I have never shot at steel plates before, and I am proud to say that I hit every plate in under 8 seconds which is no big deal to a pro with a race gun but is pretty darn good for a guy who is taking a brand new gun out of the box and shooting it for the first time ever.

Props to GSSF for welcoming this newbie to the shooting sports!

So I bought a new Glock 19 from Rich's on Saturday and took it to my gun club (CVSC) to shoot it, only to find out that the range was closed because GSSF was holding a shooting match there.

I have never shot competitively before, and to be honest it was a little intimidating to see all the people with high-end race guns and "team Glock" shirts etc. I was a complete newbie with a plain-Jane G19 who didn't have the first clue about what was going on, what the rules were, or how the various stages were organized.

Some GSSF guy whose name I don't recall noticed that I looked like a newbie, so he took a few minutes to explain what was happening. It was too late in the day to register, but he encouraged me to come back today and sign up, which I did.

I had an absolute blast! I don't know (or really care) how my scores stacked up against the other competitors, I just had a good time putting my new G19 thru its paces. The GSSF people were very helpful, and at no time did anyone get impatient with my questions or with the fact that I was a total newbie. I felt welcomed and included. I have never shot at steel plates before, and I am proud to say that I hit every plate in under 8 seconds which is no big deal to a pro with a race gun but is pretty darn good for a guy who is taking a brand new gun out of the box and shooting it for the first time ever.

Props to GSSF for welcoming this newbie to the shooting sports!

Nice work!:D

The GSSF is really the best (worst?) Kept secret in competitive shooting. The rules and atmosphere are tailored to be almost exactly what the shooter, from world class masters to first time shooters want it to be Glock emphasizes to its staff and all the volunteer Range Officers to pay attention to new and inexperienced shooters, to welcome them and to do their best to help them feel welcome.
I have been shooting and ROing these matches for years including this weekend's match in Dundee. I always get a kick out of helping and interacting with the beginners. Had an older lady at my station yesterday probably nI her 60s, first time and she had a blast She will be back.
Beginners get to also rub elbows with and watch world class shooters like Chuck Anderson.
How many sports let beginners take the stage right next to the highest level of competition?
Everybody should try it not everyone will love it but I think most will So grab a buddy who is willing to share his Glock and come out and try.
Www.gssfonline.com

I was also impressed by the emphasis on safety. There were a lot of people there and not once did I get muzzle swept or witness anybody doing anything stupid.

I had an older lady at my station yesterday probably in her 60s, first time and she had a blast She will be back.

That might have been me, lol. I was there Saturday and I am 60. I definitely had a blast and will be doing the match in August. While I Didn't do all that great I placed 35 out of 85 shooters so I am happy over all

Last Edited:
I like that it is geared towards new competitors like me but also is great for those with experience. I made use of the armorer by having him go through my G26 and put Pearce grip extensions on my G42.

It is worth joining GSSF for the discount coupons. If you join for two years ($60) you get two, one right away and one after the first year. You can buy a new Gen4 G17, 19, 26 or 27 for $425. All other models are also discounted. You can also join for one year for $30 but you don't get the coupon until the end of the first year.

I think I am sold. I was talking to the ARPC range master again about this yesterday. It sounds great and some chances at some free Glock stuff at the match is appealing too.

I like that it is geared towards new competitors like me but also is great for those with experience. I made use of the armorer by having him go through my G26 and put Pearce grip extensions on my G42.

It is worth joining GSSF for the discount coupons. If you join for two years ($60) you get two, one right away and one after the first year. You can buy a new Gen4 G17, 19, 26 or 27 for $425. All other models are also discounted. You can also join for one year for $30 but you don't get the coupon until the end of the first year.

Did you shoot in the Glock Girls side competition? Tell me all about it... inquiring minds wanna know! PM me if you want. :)

Did you shoot in the Glock Girls side competition? Tell me all about it... inquiring minds wanna know! PM me if you want. :)
I did compete in it...all you do is shoot the regular course but your scores are only compared against other women who have entered it. It really isn't a separate match. When it's your turn to shoot a stage you do it twice. Once for the women's side match and once for the regular one. I was a little disappointed they didn't have an actual separate event.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads