JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New here and new to rifles.
tried to register at the other site but its such a nightmare not being able to use gmail, etc.

I've browsed some sites looking for a 16" barrel with midlength gas system and 1:9 twist but i have issues finding one that won't cost me over $500. I'm finding either they have carbine or are 1:7 twist, hardly ever both.

This will be my range rifle but i plan on building another same profile rifle for on duty LE patrol. Is there a major difference between 1:8 and 1:9 twist on a 16" midlength? also will i feel and notice a difference between the carbine and midlength gas systems if all other things are equal?

I thank you in advance

While this isn't exactly what you are looking for, I don't think there is anything wrong with a carbine system. My preference is also a mid length gas port but would jump on this if I was in the market for an economical barrel.

Anderson Manufacturing 16″ M4 Carbine Contour Barrel Chambered 5.56 With A 1-8 Twist M4 Feed Ramps

Ballistic Advantage AR-15 5.56 NATO 16" Mid-Length Barrel - 1/2x28

Also the BA barrels have a good reputation for accuracy as well. I dont think you will feel much difference between the gas ports and for twist rate, it depends on what you will be shooting. 1/9 for the lighter ~ 55gr stuff, and 1/7 for the heavier 69 gr+ bullets. I like the 1/8 with .223 Wylde chamber personally. It has nice balance of both worlds.

1/8 is a middleground between 1/7 and 1/9. Unless shooting ammo under 55 gr or shooting the heaviest available, I wouldn't get too caught up on twist rates.

Carbine vs midlength: All things equal you will notice a tadbit more recoil from the carbine length over midlength.

Also, if you're using an FSB gas-block (the old-style A-frame sight) rather than a free-float, Mid gives longer sight radius--the original illustration of this being the Dissipator, which was made by lopping off the end of a full-length M16 barrel just ahead of the FSB with attendant under-gassing problems. (Most Dissies built today use a Carbine or Mid low-profile gas system hidden inside the forearm, with the barrel-end FSB there just for sighting and show--several old grunts I know suggested that to make a "Vietnam Jam-o-Matic" simulator for teaching when I get my History classroom, I adapt the Modern Dissy gas system wit an adjustable block so I can tune it for anything from "fairly reliable" to "basically bolt-action AR" at will.)

If you don't mind a complete upper, I think Wise Arms, Scorpion Armament, Palmetto and CBC Industries all have options. DSArms might be worth a checkout too.

Note, I only cite the "starter tier"... My CBC freefloat is hefty enough (heavy SOB too, it was like 4-5lb. shipped) I think I could use it as a baseball bat or skull-cracker, but it's a bit faster twist than you want at 1:7.

i actually WANTED to get a cbc upper but they dont have 1:9. i wanted to call them and ask them but they were closed i think they only open weekdays for calls. i was so set on the CBC they seemed interesting. ive checked palmetto and DSArms but not the other two you mentioned.

how do you like the CBC upper? would you buy from them again?

at this point i need to decide whether i want the mid-length gas system or the 1:7 (or even 1:8) twist. i dont think i can have both at this time...unless i spend about $300 on a barrel which im considering but then i end up spending the same amount as buying a completed rifle.....

Re CBC, while I haven't had a chance to test-fire my upper at this point I would buy from them again--I had a lot of questions before placing my order, and their service-before-sale shined and they kept me well informed through the production and shipping process.

Advice: Get on their mailing list and if you have time wait for a 30%-off coupon, usually around a holiday. The only reason I'm not planning a CBC for my next build is they're all free-float all the time and what I'm planning is Mil-Spec Clone.

Depending on what mount you have in your car and what accessories you plan to mount, a mid length will give you more mount options. I.E. If you want to run a rail mounted light on the forend, you wouldn't have much room left for a clamshell lock. Plus, the extra length gives you less opportunity to burn your hand on a hot front sight base.

Good to know about delta. I bought a handguard from them with no issues. Classic firearms have been great and they do have a 1/9 twist carbine length but not sure on mid length in 16". Most likely have to go 18" from classic for mid.

Is there a reason you're looking for a 1/9 twist specifically?

I asked one of our trainers at my department about what type of rifle build would qualify for on-duty carry. although he didn't specifically tell me the specs, he suggested the rifle have certain specs, including 1:9. I did some reading and just went with the 1:9, and was determined to find a 1:9 barrel. He told me he'd help me build a rifle after i told him i was about to spend $1300 on a prebuilt rifle, so i can save some money and buy a great optics/red dot.
i decided on the midlength after reading up on it.

i dont have to have 1:9 barrel, it will probably be easier to go 1:8 and even 1:7.

Honestly, if you don't have specific reasons for a 1/9, such as varmint hunting (lot of varmint ammo is under 55 gr), its more hassle than it's worth to look for a specific twist.

All things being equal the accuracy wouldn't be too different. Are they using 55 gr ammo only, or anything lighter?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top