JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
thanks for the responses. IM trying to narrow down the barrels mentioned above.
appreciated.

i just was sent a link by a friend who mentioned also rock river arms. I had a chance to finally look them over jeez they're expensive. but they have 1:9, midlength gas, 16" barrels. not sure if i want to spend $700 on an upper....
im going to talk to my supervisor and really find out exactly the required specs. because i just found out they issued a few people sig sauer m400 a few months back. I believe that's a 1:7 twist, carbine gas rifle. my head is upside down now

last question: What should the weight of the barrel (only the barrel) be? i see some ranging up to 2.5 pounds. Not sure if that's heavy or light for a barrel.

Instead of starting a new thread i figure id keep it all in this thread. thank you all

These days, I would highly recommend a 1:7 unless there's a specific reason for a 1:9. The reason I say this, a 1:7 is going to be better at stabilizing the longer/lighter lead free and frangible bullets. At the moment, it's kinda unwritten, but faster twists are becoming the norm in LE/Hunting ammo. You don't lose much going with a 1:7, you're pretty much limited to >55gr bullets, but unless you're picking through the dregs of what's on the shelf at walmart this shouldn't be an issue.

PSA sells a 16" CHF-CL barrel, I know it's offered in carbine length M4 profile, this is what I have, it may be offered in a mid-length gas. I personally like the Carbine length system better, but I have a whole pile of parts for this, including handguards and other bits. The main reason why I opt for carbine is it's a direct mount for my M203, and my RPB-203 37mm clone no adapters, etc.

Here's an older photo with the RPB on it. I've since switched over to a 3x P223 optic.

KIMG0145.jpg

I prefer 1:7 twist. 1:8 usually comes with a Wylde chamber and a higher price. My preference is for 69grain, minimum, for self defense, so I have landed on 1:7, which will still shoot 55grainers in a pinch and would do fine for 62's.

Have you tried Faxon?

funny you mention that. when i typed my earlier response i had landed on faxon's page and noticed the weight of the barrels. So i had to ask.
faxon seems pretty good. i landed on their website after i watched someone on youtube mention (promote) them.

ive found so far faxon, hardened arms (a buddy of mine at work has an upper from them), and sabre defence. plus the links ya'll suggested. too busy trying to rule out barrels now.

thanks much

My AR is a mid-length 1/9 twist I have tested loads from from 50gr TSX to Black Hills 69gr Match King. I use LC XM193, M193 from IMI, or PMC XTAC 55gr most of the time for practice. For HD I use 50gr TSX or Speer 64gr gold dots. I also bough a 420 round case of LC XM855 but the indoor range I go to does not allow LAP ammunition to be fired there.

Last Edited:
I understand we all have different experiences and I would be in the same boat as you if I had to deal with what you did. I like to let people know when I've had good or bad experiences with companies. I'll be staying away from gun mag warehouse, thanks for letting me know.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top