JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently (as in Saturday) picked up a 30-06 from another member on this forum. Went to swap out the brake and son of a gun the threadz are 1/2x28, NOT 5/8X24. First time I've seen a 30cal brake or barrel with that thread pitch (I have see 5.56 barrels with 5/8" threads). Aside from the slim chance of a smaller bore muzzle attachment getting put on there are there any other possible issues? There isn't a whole lot metal where the threads are so could pressue be an issue?

I thought so too and had the same concerns on some of my thin sporter .30 barrels being threaded 1/2 x 28. Silencerco said it
was ok so I had my .300 Winchester Magnum threaded 1/2 x 28 and use their can on it. 200 + rounds and no issues.

No worries. Waaaaaay back in the Dark Ages - like back 15 years ago or prior - most all .30 caliber rifles threaded for suppressors or muzzle brakes were 1/2x28. Also most rifle suppressors back then were similarly threaded. 1/2x28, being the standard AR15/M16 thread, it was a well-understood dimension and most competent machinists could thread for it very well.

Since then 5/8x24 has become more common for the purpose. Numerous sources sell adapters to go from 1/2x28 to 5/8x24. Just make sure you secure the adapter firmly and check the suppressor alignment carefully with the adapter in place.

Many tens of thousands of rounds have been fired in .30 platforms threaded 1/2x28 without problems of the metal strength.

I think the dangerous one is when they put 1/2-28 threads on a 9 MM AR barrel. a 9MM will not pass through a standard bird cage or most 5.56 muzzle devices and there are few 9mm muzzle devices with -28 pitch (most are 1/2-36)

Yes it's thin, but if threaded properly no issues. If it's turned and allot of heat builds up, its possible to distort the bore/rifling slightly. Which then may cause accuracy problems.
It's nice to have a slender muzzle break that matches the contour of your barrel.

1/2-28 threads are fine on 30 cal barrels, I have installed hundreds of brakes on barrels over the years and almost all the 30's are done 1/2-28. There is plenty of meat left over the bore to handle the pressure at the muzzle. The important part is to align the bore dead nuts then cut the threads. Some bores are .015" or more off center of the barrel, then fitting the taper gets interesting.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top