JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here are the other half of the jobs.
I have a hunch crime is going to climb over all this.

Wow: List of Over 300 Employers who have Cut Hours to Avoid Obamacare Tax | Young Cons

<broken link removed>

Trucks will eventually be driven by robots or the truck itself will be a robot, we're probably looking at this change maybe in the next 15-20 years, mostly because trucking unions are doing the same thing to big operators manufacturing unions did to car manufacturers. It's likely the job of trucker will instead be "onboard mechanic" who keeps the truck operating, signs paperwork and supervises loading and unloading. I don't think there's much of a future in being a dedicated forklift operator either. Again, that's another job largely controlled by unions, and thus there's a high impetus to automate.

The jobs of the future are going to be in automation, mechanical design, software, engineering, and the like. One of the big things most people need to think about is developing the skills to change careers if need be. I started out doing web and software development. After a while I got sick of it, started going to night school, taking classes in machining and manufacturing. Now I do an insane amount of consulting work, mechanical design, tool design and the like. So I got out of an industry that was growing, but was becoming increasingly specialized and compartmentalized (to the point it was neither fun nor interesting) and switched over to a career I love working mostly for myself.

If you want to go the corporate route, get the degree and be stuck in a job you hate for the rest of your life so you can work off the loans you took to go through college. Otherwise, learn what you need, put your boots on, hang your shingle and get to work.

15-20 years is a long time scale, computers and robots are already driving combines and harvesters, they're augmenting earth moving equipment and all kinds of other things. I think you're probably going to be fine and retired by the time these kinds of things come into play, but it's still a future we all face.

I don't think anyone can build a computer or robot that can swill coffee and tell dirty jokes as well as I can. :s0112:

Bender_Rodriguez.png

In my more recent business (I have had several) I found that I could not hire enough good employees to do the job without augmenting them with automation. As time went on, this trend accelerated to the point that automation became the main focus.

Part of the persistent unemployment the nation is experiencing is due to the experience employers had during the last "boom." They couldn't find good employees and made do with people who gave them headaches. Many of the employers I have talked to in the last few years have sworn never again to repeat the pattern of growing faster than they could find good employees. They all say that they would rather turn down business than repeat the mistake of outgrowing the supply of quality employees.

If you want a job in the future, here are some tips: 1) Be reliable and punctual. 2) Look presentable (clean, neat, and not scary - customers don't know what you are like inside, and judge you by your superficial appearance, which reflects on your employer and impacts their customer relations. 3) Try hard to do a good job no matter if you don't like what you are doing - if you try hard your employer will be more willing to fit you into something that you will enjoy more, because he will see a benefit as well. 4) Don't let your hobbies or habits affect your work - most employers have horror stories of workers who show up impaired or let their personal lives interfere with the job. 5) Cultivate talents in many fields - hobbies are one way to do this - and those talents may help you transition into another - perhaps better - job if this one doesn't work out. 6) Realize that no matter how good an employee you are, times change and your employer may not be able to keep going - a lot of talented buggy whip makers and pay phone repairmen lost their jobs through no fault of their own! 7) Understand that educational institutions are a business, and sell you on their services, even if they mislead you on your prospects for success after buying their "product." Use their services wisely. 8) Be willing to take a job that is "below" your training/skills/expectations in order to position yourself to move up. Most employers are hungry for people they can move up as fast as possible.

If you fit the above description, you have a 95%+ chance of being one of the half that has a job, since large numbers of people have attitudes/problems that will discourage an employer. Not everything can be automated well, and a reliable, motivated employee is becoming a scarce commodity.

Also, by the year 2000 there will be hovercraft, we won't have to trash the environment making tires and we won't e oil dependent, road maintainance will cost only a fraction of what it is now. Health care will improve through the modern miracle of science. World peace will abound and the US will forever endure as the world leader in science and industry insuring oh bright economic future for generations to come.

This has been the history of the industrial movement, to harness energy and do the work of many with machines. It has not harmed us, it has helped us to be extremely wealthy compared to what the common situation was before. No one will automate anything if there are not willing consumers with money to buy their products. This concept has been forgotten recently, evidenced by the concentration of wealth in a very small portion of our society, but Henry Ford got it, and it is a given in economics.

In my more recent business (I have had several) I found that I could not hire enough good employees to do the job without augmenting them with automation. As time went on, this trend accelerated to the point that automation became the main focus.

Part of the persistent unemployment the nation is experiencing is due to the experience employers had during the last "boom." They couldn't find good employees and made do with people who gave them headaches. Many of the employers I have talked to in the last few years have sworn never again to repeat the pattern of growing faster than they could find good employees. They all say that they would rather turn down business than repeat the mistake of outgrowing the supply of quality employees.

If you want a job in the future, here are some tips: 1) Be reliable and punctual. 2) Look presentable (clean, neat, and not scary - customers don't know what you are like inside, and judge you by your superficial appearance, which reflects on your employer and impacts their customer relations. 3) Try hard to do a good job no matter if you don't like what you are doing - if you try hard your employer will be more willing to fit you into something that you will enjoy more, because he will see a benefit as well. 4) Don't let your hobbies or habits affect your work - most employers have horror stories of workers who show up impaired or let their personal lives interfere with the job. 5) Cultivate talents in many fields - hobbies are one way to do this - and those talents may help you transition into another - perhaps better - job if this one doesn't work out. 6) Realize that no matter how good an employee you are, times change and your employer may not be able to keep going - a lot of talented buggy whip makers and pay phone repairmen lost their jobs through no fault of their own! 7) Understand that educational institutions are a business, and sell you on their services, even if they mislead you on your prospects for success after buying their "product." Use their services wisely. 8) Be willing to take a job that is "below" your training/skills/expectations in order to position yourself to move up. Most employers are hungry for people they can move up as fast as possible.

If you fit the above description, you have a 95%+ chance of being one of the half that has a job, since large numbers of people have attitudes/problems that will discourage an employer. Not everything can be automated well, and a reliable, motivated employee is becoming a scarce commodity.

You hit it all dead center.
Earn what you get.
In my 67 years, I have never been without a job. I cant comprehend folks trying to be paid for not doing the work they were hired to do.
Learn something new every day.
Do more than you are being paid for. Dont expect a free ride.
Do even the dirty jobs without having to be told.
You become valuable only when you become a person that your employer can count on to get the job done without him having to stand over your shoulder.
Lead and pull, dont push.

Here are the other half of the jobs.
I have a hunch crime is going to climb over all this.

Wow: List of Over 300 Employers who have Cut Hours to Avoid Obamacare Tax | Young Cons

<broken link removed>

Allot of those are schools and municipalities! !!! Say it's pretty bad if that many companies are taking steps to not get screwed by "The Affordable Care Act"!!!!!!

This entire thread is racist and classist against robots. Someone call a moderator!! As someone who plans to live forever and eventually become a robot, I am disgusted that this thread has been allowed to persist. :s0086:

This entire thread is racist and classist against robots. Someone call a moderator!! As someone who plans to live forever and eventually become a robot, I am disgusted that this thread has been allowed to persist. :s0086:

Yup damn right it is and were proud of it :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads