JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I may have the opportunity to get my hands on some Remington 1 1/2 pistol primers and am not sure if they will work in 9mm. Internet searching has mixed results, will be loading for Sig M18 if it makes a difference.
Any advice or experience would be appreciated!

IMHO.....primers are in short supply right now.

And.....
There are differences in primers (say: hotness, cup thickness, etc.... or say: Magnum, Standard, Match, whatever) and also there are differences from brand to brand.

Then......
There is testing and results. Then....things change (formulas and material specs) from time to time.

Not to mention the "feel" when you seat your primers. Yeah....try it with a handheld primer tool and you might decide that Brand X is better vs Brand Z.

Do you even segregate your brass by brand? Yeah.....those primer pockets can make a difference in the way it "feels" when seating a primer.

So then.....
Really.....are you intending to measure the differences that results from a different brand of primer?

IMHO.....if it doesn't mean all that much......just buy it and use it. Note it in your reloading note book. Try different brands, etc.....

Note: It's usually the case that the 9mm uses "small pistol" primers. Unless the manufacturer specifically says NOT to use them for this or that loading......well, that's good enough for me to "try".

Huh?

Yeah.....speaking of Remington. Their small rifle primers #6 1/2 is NOT recommended by them for .223 Rem. reloading. Go figure.

Aloha, Mark

IMHO.....if it doesn't mean all that much......just buy it and use it.
Kinda what I have been doing for a long time

I'll admit I stick with magnum primers when I have loaded magnum rounds when it is recommended by the powder mfg. or whoever is providing the data but since I don't load 'full house' ammo too often I 'run what I brung'.

In 'hard times' I have loaded LR ammo with LPP and pistol ammo with SRPs.

Like Mark said...just try it and make notes.

I've used Magnum primers in standard loads, did not change the powder amount, and didn't notice a difference.
Magnum primers burn a fraction longer than standard primers.

The cup is where the one needs to be attentive when using RP in pistols. Several makers have soft cups which work in pistols...Federal and CCI are two that do work.

Yeah.....speaking of Remington. Their small rifle primers #6 1/2 is NOT recommended by them for .223 Rem. reloading.
6 1/2s came out in the era of .22 Hornet and other low pressure rounds. The cup is a bit thin for higher pressure loadings, hence the recommendation.

Last Edited:
I figure it's kind of like gasoline, you can put premium fuel(SPM Primers) in 1978 Toyota (38 Special) and not get much gain. But you do need premium fuel( SPM primers) in a 1969 Dodge Charger (.357 Mag W-296 load).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top