Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

'09 Ceasefire Oregon Gun Turn-in ON HOLD!

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by doobee8, Nov 6, 2009.

1. doobee8

doobee8 Salem, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Our Next Gun Turn-In Has Been Put on Hold

After a 15-year run operating annual gun turn-ins, the Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation (COEF) has had to put the next gun turn-in on hold. Like most nonprofit groups, COEF is experiencing a decline in donations. At the same time, we face an increased demand for the service that our turn-in provides, as we saw last fall, when we ran out of gift certificates and funds before we could “buy back” everyone’s guns, causing many people to take their guns back home.

We must raise at least $35,000 to buy the gift certificates necessary to accommodate the minimum estimated demand for the next turn-in. The COEF board of directors and volunteers continue to pursue creative partnerships and funding to make the turn-in happen, but for now it doesn't look possible to stage a gun turn-in by year’s end.

Please continue to support this much-needed effort, realizing that it may take two years for us to amass the necessary funds. To use credit card online to donate money to "buy back" guns, please click here. Or you can send us a check via U.S. mail to this address:

Ceasefire Oregon Education Foundation
    7327 SW Barnes Road, #316
    Portland, OR 97225

Thank you for your support.

http://www.ceasefireoregon.org/coef/turnin.html Link to their homepage

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Gee, I think I just felt a tear roll down my cheek. :rolleyes:

3. doobee8

Tear of joy right? I was thinking about turning in two junkers this year but it seems they are out of cash which was my hope one day! The day came sooner than I thought. I was surprised when I found the link. I had to post it. Why don't they just give gun safes away instead! Silly gun haters.

4. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

They ought to collect them then sell them on here! :D

5. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

Pulled from their website:

"Reasons to turn in a firearm:
    • Young, lively, curious children are at your home.
    • Someone in your family or a friend or neighbor is suffering from depression.
    • The firearm cannot be properly stored.
    • The gun was left by an earlier occupant of the house.
    • You can't guarantee that someone else won't get the gun.
    • You want to do something to reduce the number of gun accidents, suicides, and homicides.
    • You understand that a gun in the home is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or friend than it is to protect you.
    • You would rather have a gift certificate than the gun."

Huh? :confused:

6. Cougfan2

7. BooKilla

BooKilla Portland, OR Member

8. wavo

wavo Portland Member

:nuts:

Those last three reasons are ridiculous....especially the last one "would rather own a gift certificate instead of a gun"

That would only be true if it was a certificate for more or BETTER guns! :) ha.

9. hondakilla98

hondakilla98 beaverton, or Active Member

Wow! Well at least the downturn of the economy is good for something. We'll have two years to find and buy the next batch of guns before they're turned in and destroyed.

10. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

I can't believe they would advertise for donations here. Am I missing something?

Is there a reason why I couldn't have a gun buy back myself? And does anyone have any idea if it would be profitable to give say 25 for each gun? Seems to me FTF sales in Oregon shouldn't need any special requirements from the city or anyone else. There's no law I'm aware of that says you can't buy a couple of hundred guns in one day.

11. doobee8

It's not an ad. It's just a direct copy and paste with the link to ceasfireoregon. Honda, trust me, 99.9% of the guns turned in are pure crap. That's what makes these gun buy backs such a farce. The nicest gun I saw was a like new in the box chromed lorcin last year. The guys turning them in are mostly wise seniors with junkers. They love to get up early and get a deal!

12. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Probably in Oregon. In california, the people are retarded.

I saw pictures from gun buy back.. and people turned in a Stryker Shotgun (Which the reporter identified as a Thompson btw.), and one moron turned in a WW2 Luger. I'm sure other great stuff got turned in at some of these buy backs by morons who didn't know what their stuff was worth.

13. Cougfan2

That's the sad part. Most of the people that do turn in the weapons are not the people that we need to worry about.

I'm SURE that the gang bangers are rushing to turn their guns in! :rolleyes:

14. ob1

ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

:huh: ..Hmmm. An interesting point you bring up here. Does anyone know of a daily maximum limit on ftf purchases for a non-dealer ?

If not, why dont a bunch of us get together at the sight of the next one of these things. Lets say we were to park on a public street in front of the turn-in sight, with a sign reading........ "NWFA Firearms Rescue / Adoption Team ", "Come see us first, we pay cash for quality firearms". What could they do beyond giving us a dirty look ?.....Can you do a NIC's check without doing an FFL transfer ?...Obviously you wouldn't want to do this for beater guns, but it might be worth an afternoon if you could pick up some gems.... Besides, what an opportunity to do a "one-up" on the gun grabbers ! ..Any ideas ?

15. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Hey I'll give out a "gift certificate" to anyone who wants to turn in thier gun to me. No kiddin. Bill

16. smithmax

smithmax here Member

What are the gift certificates that they hand out? It couldn't be that hard to take a wad of $20's (if you had them to spare) and pay cash for guns that people are getting rid of anyways.

17. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Yeah it is. Some beautiful weapons destroyed because of these things.

I'm sure those bad boys in the gangs are rushing to get rid of their Uzis, and MAC10s.

18. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm surprised yet thankful they didn't get stimulus money.

What a joke. You got a gun sell it.

19. A2theK

A2theK Olympia Member

I posted a gun "buy back" program on Seattle BackPage as a joke (sort of) and I had all kinds of people sending me hate mail saying I was trying to rip off old ladies.

I took it off, but it sure was funny for awhile. I didn't save any guns from the smelter. We could have an NWFA buy back if an attorney advised us before hand. Might want to do it in WA though.

20. bugeye

bugeye Oregon Well-Known Member

This reason isn't absurd.
    • You understand that a gun in the home is much more likely to kill or injure a family member or friend than it is to protect you."

It is true because about 55% of all gun realted deaths in this country are suicides. Now I figure these guns were serving the interests of the owners to the bitter end, but the statement is true as it stands.

And as gun owners we should be aware of this, frankly If I get to that point I'd rather do a Thelma and Louise off a cliff on my motorcycle whats the fun in using a gun, sheesh.