JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Am I stupid for considering 2.75" 00-buck for my shotgun over the 3"?

When I am out having fun there is nothing quite like the 3" :D:D But I am thinking that in a home defense scenario that the more manageable 2.75" rounds might be smarter.....

Any opinions?

I've got to say - if there is ever "one gun" that I go to - to it my 18" Remington 870.... I love that gun to death! I can hit targets fairly far out with slugs, 00-buck makes a great "impact", and I can even hit clay pigeons with it.

My uninformed opinion, is that if you're looking at HD scenarios within close range, 2.75" is better. Less kick, faster back on target.

Unless you've got a bit of property out there....and then buckshot kinda sucks at than range.

Yep, I agree, 2-3/4, managed recoil is better for indoor use. Less kick, faster back on target, should handle anything 0 to 50yds out. If you have bears breaking into your house, go for the 3" magnums.

Unless you've got a bit of property out there....and then buckshot kinda sucks at than range.

I do have property (2 acres) but I wouldn't use the 870 for property defense.... just for the confines of the house. THEN I escalate to the AR15. ;)

Yep, I agree, 2-3/4, managed recoil is better for indoor use. Less kick, faster back on target, should handle anything 0 to 50yds out. If you have bears breaking into your house, go for the 3" magnums.

Exactly what I was thinking... in fact... I might grab another 870 and have one with 3" and one with 2.75" stored in it :)

#7 shot works well and you have less worry about injuring someone in the next room

#7 does not work, it has been documented in several shootouts where someone was shot in the face or body with bird shot with little to no effect. Actually there was a shooting where an invader (intoxicated) was using a remington 870 loading with 00 took on a home owner who had the exact same 870, but loaded with birdshot. Bad guy took a round of birdshot to the face, managed to recover and kill the homeowner, then drove 150 miles or so back home (or to a bar, can't remember) where he was arrested.

#7 does not work, it has been documented in several shootouts where someone was shot in the face or body with bird shot with little to no effect. Actually there was a shooting where an invader (intoxicated) was using a remington 870 loading with 00 took on a home owner who had the exact same 870, but loaded with birdshot. Bad guy took a round of birdshot to the face, managed to recover and kill the homeowner, then drove 150 miles or so back home (or to a bar, can't remember) where he was arrested.

Birdshot to the face:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Cheney_hunting_incident

Ahd for more reference. I think I have more than 4" of fat. It's like my own personal birdshot body armor! http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=381023

If you aren't worried about overpenetration then the 00 buck should work just fine. Pick your flavor. The bigger shells hold more pellets but kick harder. They all will do a heck of a lot of damage to a bad guy.

Another option for a shotshell is #1 buck. It still has plenty of penetration to go through bad guns(even big ones). The #1 buck won't be as likely to go through walls when it exits the bag guy. It also has more pellets then a similar load of 00, creating a larger area of wound channels. Your choice of available #1 buck loads are few compared to the more common 00 buck.

+1 It's well documented - bird shot won't penetrate to vitals.

A 3" buckshot round doesn't have a higher velocity than 2 3/4" It just has about 25% more shot and a much harder kick.

#1 buck is approximately .30 inch diameter, muzzle speed about 1300+ fps.

2 3/4 #1 buck = about 15 .30 pellets @ 1300 m/l fps - a nasty load.

$.02

From 15yds away #2-#4 shot/steel does not penetrate a jacket/fleece sweat shirt/under armor shirt. But you can feel the blow (scary), stings when it hits just the jacket/hat with no additional layers. At 40-50yds it is still just a blow (not as big of one) and no penetration, but still real scary.

I've had 2 3/4" 00 Buck shot and richoet from 5ft of a target. Just one ball. Didn't penetrate but stung like a @%&#* and left a good welt (size of a golf ball). Was only wearing a t-shirt. Only half of the rounds penetrated a old rubber float at 5ft away.

Hope maybe some of that helps. And yes it's all been proven (@ me). :s0131: