JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This guy went to FPMITA prison for 41 months for an oil filter silencer. And they shut down Chris Barnes and arrested him; forget what happened, but stick in my mind he was convicted.

To each their on and respective comfort zones.
Neither went the legal route though...

Funny enough, I can buy something from somebody that is questionable, then turn it into a legal device via the government.

It's silly when you think of it.

As for funny looking, mine aren't funny looking as seen here

This guy went to FPMITA prison for 41 months for an oil filter silencer. And they shut down Chris Barnes and arrested him; forget what happened, but stick in my mind he was convicted.

To each their on and respective comfort zones.

"Candelario sold and manufactured AR-15 style assault rifles in Maryland without a license. The ATF caught Candelario by using an anonymous man to purchase the firearms in a gas station parking lot. This agent purchased six rifles, as well as two fuel filter silencers. "

That's not exactly how you fly under the radar... lol.

"Candelario sold and manufactured AR-15 style assault rifles in Maryland without a license. The ATF caught Candelario by using an anonymous man to purchase the firearms in a gas station parking lot. This agent purchased six rifles, as well as two fuel filter silencers. "

That's not exactly how you fly under the radar... lol.

Haha, truth. I got about half way through the article and though "not the brightest dude out there."

so, this is kind of new to me and I remember seeing something like this from a gun parts company, but it was sold as a muzzle break.

Can anyone point me to good post or blog that actually works to make your own silencer legally?

From what I gather here it, send in paperwork, get tax stamp and then start making. Is that correct? Is there a time limit for it to be done by?

fredridge said:
but it was sold as a muzzle break.
There have been many who skirt the law and one was a company in Southern California who got nailed and were raided etc. You could grind off the nubs and put a shroud around it.
fredridge said:
send in paperwork,
Yes
fredridge said:
get tax stamp
Yes
You forgot a step: Order Parts/Build from scratch
fredridge said:
and then start making. Is that correct?
Yes. You engrave the housing/serial before you do any work.
fredridge said:
Is there a time limit for it to be done by?
No. No time limit. Once approved you could wait until your death bed to make it... but then you aren't going to have fun with it.

fredridge said:
Can anyone point me to good post or blog that actually works to make your own silencer legally?
Lots of places honestly. I'd start by how to fill out a eForm1 to start.
Most of the questionable kits marked above can be built on a bench top with a hand drill.

Last Edited:
There have been many who skirt the law and one was a company in Southern California who got nailed and were raided etc. You could grind off the nubs and put a shroud around it.

Yes

Yes
You forgot a step: Order Parts

Yes

No. No time limit. Once approved you could wait until your death bed to make it... but then you aren't going to have fun with it.

Lots of places honestly. I'd start by how to fill out a eForm1 to start.
When you get your stamp, does the atf provide you a serial number at that time?

From what I gather here it, send in paperwork, get tax stamp and then start making. Is that correct? Is there a time limit for it to be done by?

No. Though if you change your mind and decide not to build, you can only get a refund within three years.

27 § 479.172 Refunds.​
As indicated in this part, the transfer tax or tax on the making of a firearm is ordinarily paid by the purchase and affixing of stamps, while special tax stamps are issued in payment of special (occupational) taxes. However, in exceptional cases, transfer tax, tax on the making of firearms, and/or special (occupational) tax may be paid pursuant to assessment. Claims for refunds of such taxes, paid pursuant to assessment, shall be filed on ATF Form 2635 (5620.8) within 3 years next after payment of the taxes. Such claims shall be filed with the Chief, National Firearms Act Branch serving the region in which the tax was paid. (For provisions relating to hand-carried documents and manner of filing, see 26 CFR 301.6091-1(b) and 301.6402-2(a).) When an applicant to make or transfer a firearm wishes a refund of the tax paid on an approved application where the firearm was not made pursuant to an approved Form 1 (Firearms) or transfer of the firearm did not take place pursuant to an approved Form 4 (Firearms), the applicant shall file a claim for refund of the tax on ATF Form 2635 (5620.8) with the Director. The claim shall be accompanied by the approved application bearing the stamp and an explanation why the tax liability was not incurred. Such claim shall be filed within 3 years next after payment of the tax.​

When you get your stamp, does the atf provide you a serial number at that time?
No.
You submit the serial on your Form1. Once approved, your engraved SN will be what you said.

Mine have logic such as initials-year-caliber-# of suppressor that year

some people could have obscene or suggestive serial numbers. Many are creative with their trusts too!

No.
You submit the serial on your Form1. Once approved, your engraved SN will be what you said.

Mine have logic such as initials-year-caliber-# of suppressor that year

some people could have obscene or suggestive serial numbers. Many are creative with their trusts too!
Whoa whoa whoa.... you're telling me we get to make up our own serial numbers?
And it can be pretty much anything?

so if a guy bought a pre threaded tube that could accept end caps the ATF could bust you by assuming youre gonna make a silencer? maybe im misunderstanding something here...

so if a guy bought a pre threaded tube that could accept end caps the ATF could bust you by assuming youre gonna make a silencer? maybe im misunderstanding something here...
Doubtful. You've expressed here your intent. I have pipe, oil filters, access to a lathe and my brain. I can make a lot of stuff. Just like the 10/22 takedown stock and the Ruger Charger. I could make an illegal SBR but I have no need to nor desire.

I have talked with a lot of people and I always say do things in the proper order and nobody will ever fault you.

I am seeing some sites that show the use of a NAPA 4003 fuel filter.

My question is will the replacement paper element actually provide some reduction of the report?

For a few .22 shots. Even an empty tube with an end cap will knock the sound down quite a bit.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads