JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I recently came across a company who sells what they call solvent traps that you can form 1 and finish into a suppressor. Anyone ever try it out? It seems a little sketchy but if I could circumvent the who knows how long of wait and remain legal I may try it. They offer engraving as well. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

I recently came across a company who sells what they call solvent traps that you can form 1 and finish into a suppressor. Anyone ever try it out? It seems a little sketchy but if I could circumvent the who knows how long of wait and remain legal I may try it. They offer engraving as well. Any info is appreciated, thanks.
Amazon has been selling these for quite some time. I first ran into it when looking for a 1/2 -28 tap. Wanted to make a thread protector. All this "stuff" started to pop up in the "you might be interested in.........". It took me a few to see what the hell was going on. When I realized it all I could think of was this would be VERY stupid to do. Now if you wish to make a Suppressor legally, great. I would not buy the parts to do it and have them on hand. Chances are nothing is going to happen if someone does but, why poke the bear so to speak.

Dude, this is thin ice. The ATF has gone after these so-called "solvent traps".

Not worth it.

Many many folks have made their own suppressors using these kits.

While perfectly legal to own, I would not recommend buying them just to have lying around.

If you are buying these things, it would be best to be submitting an application to make a silencer shortly thereafter.

I am currently looking into making one myself, or 2, as the wait time is numbered in weeks, not months or years.

I was at the range the other day and a gentleman had two form 1 titanium cans, though much larger in length, his 22 can was just as quiet as my manufactured one.

I would consider submitting an e-file Form 1 for a can, and once I had the stamp buy the threaded solvent trap, get it engraved, then buy the oil filter.

I would consider submitting an e-file Form 1 for a can, and once I had the stamp buy the threaded solvent trap, get it engraved, then buy the oil filter.

Or just buy an actual suppressor and not look silly. :)

Dude, this is thin ice. The ATF has gone after these so-called "solvent traps".

Not worth it.
Agreed. And recently they actually hunted down those that ordered the drop in Glock auto sears from china. Many doubt the ATF (and the rest of the alphabet orgs) will come knocking based on an mere internet order.. but its currently happening. Some guy even used a fake name "John Wick" and they still got him.

Some of the solvent traps Ive seen for sale on ebay are just plain old monocore baffle silencers that don't need ANYTHING done to them . No holes drilled ...nada. They usually last a week or two before ebay pulls them. I suppose you could file a form 1 , get it back then order the "solvent trap" and have it engraved as soon as it comes in the mail.

The ATF isnt very efficient and the mail doesnt get checked.

5daec8b337846b089a1784c6-large.jpg

I've actually been looking at these too for the quicker turn around. My plan was to submit my form, order the parts, then put them together once my stamp comes in. I also was looking for a thread adapter as one of the components and having that serialized, that way if there is a baffle strike I wouldn't have to do a whole new can.

Guy I work with did a form 1 can with titanium "solvent trap" tube and stainless freeze plugs. He is quite happy with it and as others have stated, the E file from 1 is a pretty quick turn around these days.

Some of the solvent traps Ive seen for sale on ebay are just plain old monocore baffle silencers that don't need ANYTHING done to them . No holes drilled ...nada. They usually last a week or two before ebay pulls them. I suppose you could file a form 1 , get it back then order the "solvent trap" and have it engraved as soon as it comes in the mail.

The ATF isnt very efficient and the mail doesnt get checked.

View attachment 641669

-poke-poke-poke-poke-dont-poke-bear-funny-54339387.png

I bought a tube with a threaded end and a non drilled end cap. Submitted a form 1, it was approved in a few weeks. Had it engraved, made some baffles. And it sounds just as good as the other .22 suppressor I have. With the stamp I have like $250 into it, if you do it legally it can be worth it. I keep talking myself out of building another one.;)

But I have to agree, some of the stuff I see does seem sketchy.

Or just buy an actual suppressor and not look silly. :)

I work with a guy that has done a few of them. They work great, and look like any other suppressor. I think you look silly to pay hundreds more to have a name brand stamped on the side. The markup on these things, for what they actually are, is insane.
It's not complicated technology.

I have a few form 1 cans, there's nothing scary or weird about them, just follow the law, and follow it correctly, if you don't want to run the chance of anything bad happening. Basically, don't drill any holes without a stamp. Engraving a tube is fine though.

That said, I know some guys who never bothered to ask for a permit, as far as I know, nothing happened to them. I don't really condone that though, the risks are pretty disproportionate to the 'crime'.

I've done this exact thing.

4 times. In the proper order I personally have no concerns. Maybe a few db from reputable brand names but I also spent less on all 4 of them than somebody I know spent on one. Last time I checked 1 is none, two is one and four is ... four.

The trap is just that, it really depends what you do with it. Do you put it on the shelf for years in the future or did you drop the cheddar and get the stamp and make it legal?

I work with a guy that has done a few of them. They work great, and look like any other suppressor. I think you look silly to pay hundreds more to have a name brand stamped on the side. The markup on these things, for what they actually are, is insane.
It's not complicated technology.

Yeahbut, does it say Fram on it? :D

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR