JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 1978 Remington 870 Wingmaster. Been looking at different options for mounting a sling, and it looks as though my magazine tube cap and my barrel band both have holes in them already.

However, they are not threaded...is this necessary to install a swivel? It seems to me it would be but I can't find any information on the web about it.

An Uncle Mike's swivel stud is fitted through the hole in the magazine tube cap and held in place by a nut. These caps are Very Hard and I have seen more than one that the person drilling it ended up with an Oversized hole. Another example of someone who only thinks they know what they are doing. Once the hole is too big the stud will never remain tight. UM Used to sell the caps with the stud already mounted. I'd guess that is why they didn't leave the stud.

If I wanted a sling on my 870...I'd order / buy a tube cap with a swivel installed...these aren't too expensive and pretty common to find.
Andy
But, Andy, you need to remember gun owners extremely cheap but nature and what are they to with the extra cap??? Can you say "Cheap Horder"???

I have a 1978 Remington 870 Wingmaster. Been looking at different options for mounting a sling, and it looks as though my magazine tube cap and my barrel band both have holes in them already.

However, they are not threaded...is this necessary to install a swivel? It seems to me it would be but I can't find any information on the web about it.

Hello Guy,
The reason the holes are not threaded is due to the fact that 90% of all sling swivels have self threading screws. You just need to twist them in all the way to the heel, and your good to go. I would recommend that you put a little wax or Chapstick on the threads just before you sink them in solid. It reduces the friction of installing...

Larry243

Hello Guy,
The reason the holes are not threaded is due to the fact that 90% of all sling swivels have self threading screws. You just need to twist them in all the way to the heel, and your good to go. I would recommend that you put a little wax or Chapstick on the threads just before you sink them in solid. It reduces the friction of installing...

Larry243

Actually, there are two different studs available for the QD Sling Swivels for this type of use from UM. One has a woodscrew thread and goes into the Buttstock. The second one has machine threads and comes with a small nut that can be attached to the magazine tube cap. If you try to screw the first one into the cap you will most likely break it off before it's tight. But, people can do whatever they like.

Yep, You are right....
I was referring only to wood or composite stock materials. I don't think a self threading screw would even begin to start in a steel product. Most slings mount only in the stock.... Some don't
Some even mount with a clamp around the stock... NOT TO GOOD!

Yep, You are right....
I was referring only to wood or composite stock materials. I don't think a self threading screw would even begin to start in a steel product. Most slings mount only in the stock.... Some don't
Some even mount with a clamp around the stock... NOT TO GOOD!

You could sell the extra cap to the guy who messed his original one up , attempting to install a swivel by himself....:p:D
Andy
If you're saying you need a cap with a hole in it I can always mail you it free of charge. I don't need two. ;)

Thanks for the replies every one. I think what I'm going to do is get a swivel with a nut and loctite, route it through the predrilled hole in the barrel/tube clamp and mount it that way.

I vastly prefer that look to the magazine tube cap swivel.

I think what I'm going to do is get a swivel with a nut and loctite, route it through the predrilled hole in the barrel/tube clamp and mount it that way.
You do understand that means your sling will be mounted on one side of the gun. And, that it will somewhat limit how you Carry. Generally, it means you have to carry it on one Shoulder. With the tube cap mounting you can carry on either side. Just something to think about.:):):)

You do understand that means your sling will be mounted on one side of the gun. And, that it will somewhat limit how you Carry. Generally, it means you have to carry it on one Shoulder. With the tube cap mounting you can carry on either side. Just something to think about.:):):)

It's a band that extends down past the magazine tube about half an inch, with the hole in the middle underneath the magazine tube. Will be the same as the magazine tube point, just a good 3" behind the tube and barrel instead of just below and infront of the barrel.

I think I know what you are saying but a picture would help. If it's what I think it is those usually aren't used Except for support with an extension. Good Luck.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top