JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out what the price of various ammo types and components were pre-pandemic. I did some searching and was only able to find graphs/prices up to about 2015, and occasional posts on NWFA about the price of 9mm. So, I figured submitting this question to you fine folks would be the best course of action.

I'm curious to know prices for cheap (but not trash):

Small pistol primers
Large pistol primers
Berdan Rifle Primers
9mm bullets (115 grain seems to be the cheapest?)
5.56 nato bullets
.45 ACP bullets

9mm Luger
.45 ACP
5.56 nato
7.62x39 (found somewhere saying ~20 cents a rnd?)
7.62x54R

I think October 2019 would be a good comparison point, but I appreciate any input on prices from last year. Just want to see what I missed out on from the good 'ol days. ;_;

End of 2019 my LGS sold CCI SPP/SRPs for about $30 and Federal Match of the same for about $35. This is for 1000 primer box and give or take a buck.

EDIT: I'd say powder in 1lb bottles was between $26 and $35 with most of it about $30.
EDIT2: Maybe the Federal primers were closer to 40ish -- I think the shelf price was per tray but if you bought a box you got 10% off.

Last Edited:
I would buy my ammo online mostly but sometimes in stores.
9mm 16cpr Blazer brass, sellier & bellot
7.62x39 20cpr Wolf
5.56 27cpr (usually waited for sales) federal
45acp 26cpr sellier & bellot

Thanks guys! It's really hard to figure out what "normal" prices might be when I only started looking at these things very recently. I really appreciate the info! :eek:

It you need it, you need it. Historical pricing doesn't matter.

If you can wait or pick up little little by little, then do so.

Folks on here are mentioning BiMarts as having range plinking 9mm (115gr FMJ) in stock recently at the best pricing. Limits, I believe- 2 boxes.

Just as an example.

You might also notice some higher priced sales by the case/in quantity is NOT selling here in the classifieds lately. Perhaps signaling a minor market peak pre-election.

This is still good info to have as many ads here in the classifieds are for trade and state trade value at pre-pandemic prices without saying what they mean. And if you wait around to have a conversation, it's gone.

This is still good info to have as many ads here in the classifieds are for trade and state trade value at pre-pandemic prices without saying what they mean. And if you wait around to have a conversation, it's gone.
I think that is a little silly sometimes. For example, somebody wants to trade an item that has not gone up in value, for small pistol primers which have skyrocketed. Then they say they want to value trades at prepandemic prices. Doesn't seem like a good trade for the one with the primers.

Last Edited:
Last week I seen a set of Hornady 9mm dies bid up to $205.
This I have to shake my head over.

I could be way off but I see this as one of two things -

A current reloader who has NEVER reloaded 9mm for whatever reasons but I often read where a reloader has stated, 'I have never reloaded 9mm as I don't see the practicality of it as it's so cheap to buy' - I wonder if these people are still thinking that now?......I am thinking not so they are scrambling to start loading 9mm.

Or one who has NEVER reloaded, is now panicking and impulsively decides to start reloading and finds little available in the way of starter equipment or kits available so out of irrational fear bids on a set of dies as a temporary 'fix' for this 'addiction' which has now overcome him....

From 2009 up until right before this "last" panic the price of ammo didn't really change that much. I paid 14.95 for a box of 115gn 9mm PPU brand in 2009 (found an old receipt). That is about the price of 9mm in Bi Mart right now when they have it in stock. Actually I just paid 13.97 for 50 rounds of Federal 9mm (2 box limit) a few days ago.

The Difference is when to LGS jack up the prices and the Online retailers do the same, it drives the market into a panic, thus creating more panic and fear, so people are willing to pay more out of uncertainty. If you want something bad enough you will pay more for it than if you don't really "want" it.

Supply and demand is in full effect right now.

From 2009 up until right before this "last" panic the price of ammo didn't really change that much.
.22 LR did.

I clearly remember buying a brick in late 2007 and paying $7.99 for it at Sportsman's Warehouse. Shortly after the election it started climbing and it seemed the next time I looked it was like $12.99, and then needing another brick about 2010 it was $14.99 in Bi Mart and continued to steadily climb.

What was .22 averaging a few months back pre-everything panic?

Hi guys, I'm trying to figure out what the price of various ammo types and components were pre-pandemic. I did some searching and was only able to find graphs/prices up to about 2015, and occasional posts on NWFA about the price of 9mm. So, I figured submitting this question to you fine folks would be the best course of action.

I'm curious to know prices for cheap (but not trash):

Small pistol primers
Large pistol primers
Berdan Rifle Primers
9mm bullets (115 grain seems to be the cheapest?)
5.56 nato bullets
.45 ACP bullets

9mm Luger
.45 ACP
5.56 nato
7.62x39 (found somewhere saying ~20 cents a rnd?)
7.62x54R

I think October 2019 would be a good comparison point, but I appreciate any input on prices from last year. Just want to see what I missed out on from the good 'ol days. ;_;

I would suggest you get a free catalog from Natchez Shooters Supply or a similar catalog.. I think the prices listed are a fair representation of pre-covid. However, many of the items are not currently in-stock.

This I have to shake my head over.

I could be way off but I see this as one of two things -

A current reloader who has NEVER reloaded 9mm for whatever reasons but I often read where a reloader has stated, 'I have never reloaded 9mm as I don't see the practicality of it as it's so cheap to buy' - I wonder if these people are still thinking that now?......I am thinking not so they are scrambling to start loading 9mm.

Or one who has NEVER reloaded, is now panicking and impulsively decides to start reloading and finds little available in the way of starter equipment or kits available so out of irrational fear bids on a set of dies as a temporary 'fix' for this 'addiction' which has now overcome him....
I never did buy a set of 9mm dies, or .45 ACP for that matter. I may regret it later and have recently started looking for die sets and more powder. The 9mm isn't so bad because I can convert two of my 9mm to .41 AE which I have plenty of components and two die sets.

$113 for Hornady 9mm die set on Amazon, $60 for RCBS at Midway. I think that I don't have to panic yet and wait for the Hornady to come back down. Bullets may be a problem, but I have a lot of factory and my Dad's reloads 9mm stashed away.

Just stopped by my LGS to look and see if any primers or powder and was shocked to see 9mm and .40 S&W on the shelf. Also, bricks of Federal .22 lr.

They had Blazer 9mm for $10.99 a box of 50 and Remington Range 115gr for $11.99 a box of 50. Bought two boxes of the Remington, which was the max allowed...

IMG_20201019_162426101.jpg

They also had CCI small rifle magnum primers, but I have plenty of those so passed. Also got in some Titegroup and other powders that have been gone for a while. I do have plenty, so passed on that as well. I went in to buy tools and my budget was already maxed out with stuff already in my basket.

I hadn't seen 9mm plinking ammo on the shelf for at least 6 months, so it was a nice surprise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top