JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ya gotta love it when people step up and become ready to protect themselves. As more and more people are learning the hard way about crime, gun ownership goes up and, IMO, the stigma associated with guns goes down.

The last paragraph of this story says it all: Firearm Sales Way Up During Holiday Season

I'll bet many of these people never before thought they would own a gun. I'll also bet you would be in for a fight it you wanted to take them away.

Yeah, I think that more and more people are seeing firearms as being an integral part of the home.

On a related note, I wonder how many folks have lost their fear of firearms due to the plethora of TV shows that treat guns as items, not killing machines? For instance, the popular show "Pawn Stars" often has the guys handling, buying and shooting guns, and I think this lessens a lot of the mystery and fear of anyone in the public not acquainted with firearms. Just a thought.

On a related note, I wonder how many folks have lost their fear of firearms due to the plethora of TV shows that treat guns as items, not killing machines? For instance, the popular show "Pawn Stars" often has the guys handling, buying and shooting guns, and I think this lessens a lot of the mystery and fear of anyone in the public not acquainted with firearms. Just a thought.

Good point, I believe you are correct.

Yeah, I think that more and more people are seeing firearms as being an integral part of the home.

On a related note, I wonder how many folks have lost their fear of firearms due to the plethora of TV shows that treat guns as items, not killing machines? For instance, the popular show "Pawn Stars" often has the guys handling, buying and shooting guns, and I think this lessens a lot of the mystery and fear of anyone in the public not acquainted with firearms.
Just a thought.

Yeah, and the funny thing is that more people die from non firearms related accidents than from firearms. You would think the normal, open minded, individual would realize this.

You do know that every gun on that show is like a minimum of 100 years old? Most guns 100 years old (MOST) are hardly a killing machine compared to todays weaponry. Although I will admit a shot to the face with a blunderbuss would definitely mess you up. After you fired though, your gun turned into a club.

I think the buying of firearms doesn't really correlate with violent crime trends though. People buy guns because there is a chance of being a victim of a violent crime, but usually its in urbanized dilapidated dwellings. I just did a lot of research on the crime in 79 neighborhoods of St. Louis city and although the city consistently ranks as the most dangerous, many places are virtually crime free (particularly parks and cemetary's). Other places the only thing you have to worry about is a larceny in your car while you're away, hardly a situation that calls for a gun. Several of the neighborhoods have had 0 murders so far this year. There are some neighborhoods where the crime rate would call for conceal carry, but if you live in the middle of a very low crime rate place and you buy a firearm, for the most part all it is, is a fancy paper-weight since you don't live in or around a high crime neighborhood.

However avoid dutchtown, there was a group of teenagers called the knockout crew who got their kicks by walking up to random strangers and knocking them out in a single punch. I think they all got caught though. That neighborhood sets records for larceny's, burglary's, auto-thefts, robberies, aggravated assaults, rapes and murders, across the board, and has spilled over to some of the surrounding neighborhoods as well.

For the most part though, ever since the mid 90's, crime rates have been going down, including violent crime that would call for use of a firearm, atleast in my city.

You do know that every gun on that show is like a minimum of 100 years old? Most guns 100 years old (MOST) are hardly a killing machine compared to todays weaponry. Although I will admit a shot to the face with a blunderbuss would definitely mess you up. After you fired though, your gun turned into a club.

I think the buying of firearms doesn't really correlate with violent crime trends though. People buy guns because there is a chance of being a victim of a violent crime, but usually its in urbanized dilapidated dwellings. I just did a lot of research on the crime in 79 neighborhoods of St. Louis city and although the city consistently ranks as the most dangerous, many places are virtually crime free (particularly parks and cemetary's). Other places the only thing you have to worry about is a larceny in your car while you're away, hardly a situation that calls for a gun. Several of the neighborhoods have had 0 murders so far this year. There are some neighborhoods where the crime rate would call for conceal carry, but if you live in the middle of a very low crime rate place and you buy a firearm, for the most part all it is, is a fancy paper-weight since you don't live in or around a high crime neighborhood.

However avoid dutchtown, there was a group of teenagers called the knockout crew who got their kicks by walking up to random strangers and knocking them out in a single punch. I think they all got caught though. That neighborhood sets records for larceny's, burglary's, auto-thefts, robberies, aggravated assaults, rapes and murders, across the board, and has spilled over to some of the surrounding neighborhoods as well.

For the most part though, ever since the mid 90's, crime rates have been going down, including violent crime that would call for use of a firearm, atleast in my city.

First, what does the age of the gun have to do with whether or not it removes the stigma related to firearms?
Second, maybe BUYING guns doesn't correlate to decreased crime, but LOSING the guns sure has a major affect on violent crime.....just ask Britain and Australia.....

No one is going to take your guns away. Rest assured if it was gonna go down it would of been done under President Clinton during the Assault rifle ban, and the crackdown on Right Wing fringe elements like at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

I've met Joe Biden, Im a life long democrat, and I know enough about politics that the president making a campaign about taking guns away from Americans would be political suicide for this upcoming election and the next. Tounge in cheek, he has broken campaign promises, especially if he signs off on that NDAA that strips Americans of their right to the writ of Habeas Corpus.

I already know what the next presidential campaign is about, and its economic justice, not taking guns away from Americans. Outside of the niche gun market, most American's don't have strong feelings on guns, and most prefer to have the right and availability to purchase one. I live in one of the most "liberal" (as in relaxed) gun laws, states, in America and that is Missouri. You can have a concealed firearm in your glovebox (stupid place to put it unless its locked, since Ive had a car burglar go through my car in the last month and a half) without any kind of a permit or license, and it is still legal.

Watching guys fire guns on pawn stars does put guns more in the mainstream and thats good. But the ones they fire are hardly the "killing machines" that todays guns are capable of because they have to buy antique firearms. Now you can catch me on vintage 1911's as they are still quite capable of killing people in todays world, but mostly they deal with musketoons, blunderbuss's, flint lock pistols, old cannons, etc. And with modern medical technology, those firearms are more capable of injury than killing, was my point.

All I was saying is that violent crime has decreased in the last 15 years. Most Americans think that crime is a problem, regardless of trends, this is what I have learned from several high ranking police officers who became professors in one of the highest rated criminal justice universities in the country. Americans are definitely paranoid about crime, I will give you that, but crime trends have been on the down and out, and unless you live in a dilapidated urban community, gun ownership to prevent violent crime, contrary to what crime statistics say, doesn't really happen in rural and suburban areas, atleast in St. Louis.

If you want to know where the most violent crimes happen where owning and carrying a firearm would make perfect sense, according to statistics from the St. Louis Metro PD, is high crime areas, dilapidated areas, and disadvantaged (economically) areas. but if you're out in a rural county, or suburbia, its safe to say that your crime rate is very low compared to those areas, and buying a firearm to "protect yourself" doesn't do a whole lot compared to areas where violent crime is a regular occurence.

Note: I know that the guns on Pawn Stars are antique, therefore not "killing machines" (though I still wouldn't want to be in front of one HA), but for the uneducated general public, guns are guns are guns. My use of the term was only very loose analogy.

Now, back to our regular viewing.

No one is going to take your guns away. Rest assured if it was gonna go down it would of been done under President Clinton during the Assault rifle ban, and the crackdown on Right Wing fringe elements like at Ruby Ridge and Waco.

I've met Joe Biden, Im a life long democrat, and I know enough about politics that the president making a campaign about taking guns away from Americans would be political suicide for this upcoming election and the next. Tounge in cheek, he has broken campaign promises, especially if he signs off on that NDAA that strips Americans of their right to the writ of Habeas Corpus.

I already know what the next presidential campaign is about, and its economic justice, not taking guns away from Americans. Outside of the niche gun market, most American's don't have strong feelings on guns, and most prefer to have the right and availability to purchase one. I live in one of the most "liberal" (as in relaxed) gun laws, states, in America and that is Missouri. You can have a concealed firearm in your glovebox (stupid place to put it unless its locked, since Ive had a car burglar go through my car in the last month and a half) without any kind of a permit or license, and it is still legal.

Watching guys fire guns on pawn stars does put guns more in the mainstream and thats good. But the ones they fire are hardly the "killing machines" that todays guns are capable of because they have to buy antique firearms. Now you can catch me on vintage 1911's as they are still quite capable of killing people in todays world, but mostly they deal with musketoons, blunderbuss's, flint lock pistols, old cannons, etc. And with modern medical technology, those firearms are more capable of injury than killing, was my point.

All I was saying is that violent crime has decreased in the last 15 years. Most Americans think that crime is a problem, regardless of trends, this is what I have learned from several high ranking police officers who became professors in one of the highest rated criminal justice universities in the country. Americans are definitely paranoid about crime, I will give you that, but crime trends have been on the down and out, and unless you live in a dilapidated urban community, gun ownership to prevent violent crime, contrary to what crime statistics say, doesn't really happen in rural and suburban areas, atleast in St. Louis.

If you want to know where the most violent crimes happen where owning and carrying a firearm would make perfect sense, according to statistics from the St. Louis Metro PD, is high crime areas, dilapidated areas, and disadvantaged (economically) areas. but if you're out in a rural county, or suburbia, its safe to say that your crime rate is very low compared to those areas, and buying a firearm to "protect yourself" doesn't do a whole lot compared to areas where violent crime is a regular occurence.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should move to some s-hole city so I can justify my owning "self-defense" weapons? Most people will never need their self-defense weapons, but ask the ones that have been forced to use them and they're probably glad as HELL they had that weapon, whether it's in a high crime ghetto like where you live, or in the country with us bumpkins

But seriously, how is a lead round ball flying through your body any less effective than a FMJ? Sure, the muzzle velocity isn't the same, so the effective distances aren't the same, but you're talking about a ball of at least .50 caliber, compared to a .308 or 5.56 or .45 or 9mm or .380. How are those "antiquated" guns any less effective? People kill moose with a string and a stick, so why would a cap and ball pistol only wound you?

Tried and true democrat.....talking in perfect circles.

I have seen so many 70+ year old people buying their first gun.or the first one they filled papers out on one.Most I have seen have no clue about guns but feel it is time to have one handy

If you want to know where the most violent crimes happen where owning and carrying a firearm would make perfect sense, according to statistics from the St. Louis Metro PD, is high crime areas, dilapidated areas, and disadvantaged (economically) areas. but if you're out in a rural county, or suburbia, its safe to say that your crime rate is very low compared to those areas, and buying a firearm to "protect yourself" doesn't do a whole lot compared to areas where violent crime is a regular occurence.[/QUOTE]

I guess I should move to some s-hole city so I can justify my owning "self-defense" weapons? Most people will never need their self-defense weapons, but ask the ones that have been forced to use them and they're probably glad as HELL they had that weapon, whether it's in a high crime ghetto like where you live, or in the country with us bumpkins

But seriously, how is a lead round ball flying through your body any less effective than a FMJ? Sure, the muzzle velocity isn't the same, so the effective distances aren't the same, but you're talking about a ball of at least .50 caliber, compared to a .308 or 5.56 or .45 or 9mm or .380. How are those "antiquated" guns any less effective? People kill moose with a string and a stick, so why would a cap and ball pistol only wound you?

Yes, and actually a musket/blackpowder ball would flatten out into a far more deadly mushroom projectile than common pistol calibers of today, considering the initial bore size of those weapons. They were quite deadly it's just that people were tougher and more resilient in those days and could take more punishment

As far as crime decreasing.. well there's two points to be made.. one is the 3 strikes and you're out and other types of increased penalties that have taken a lot of "career types" (there's the PC version) off the street, and then there's outright cooking of the crime stats as has been done with the unemployment statistics.. both today are outright fabrications. Now we can all go back to grazing the verge like good sheeple

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top