JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@arakboss

Avoiding a stuck ball is a good idea.

With that said...it will happen to you if you shoot muzzle loaders long enough.
Be it from having "loaded" your firearm without powder...to a ball not full exiting the barrel.
Removing the ball can range from easy...to difficult.
A CO2 discharger may be of use here as well.

As for the "consensus of the internet".....To be blunt...I have seen some of the videos and ideas that you have posted here...
And some have been downright dangerous.

I don't know everything about muzzle loading...and no one needs to do just as I do when shooting a muzzle loader....
However...
Some things just shouldn't be done at all with muzzle loaders.
It would be wise to follow the advice / instructions of safe practices of muzzle loading firearm shooters...
Rather than follow the lead of some dumbazz on You Tube who did the opposite and got lucky.
Andy
What was your suggested ratio for volume to weight conversion with 1F black powder?

What was your suggested ratio for volume to weight conversion with 1F black powder?
As I have said. ...Repeatedly ...
A good starting point is whatever the caliber of the firearm is....use that amount of powder....
a .50 caliber rifle....start with 50 grains of powder.
With that said....
You will probably find that your rifle will shoot best with 10-30 grains of more more powder.
So...
A .50 caliber rifle will probably shoot best with 60- 80 grains of powder.
( Pistols are bit different )

I use a powder measure...not any sort of conversion....buy yourself a new one and save yourself some grief.

What are you shooting...?
What is the caliber...?
And why are you using 1F powder...?
Andy

Last Edited:
As I have said. ...Repeatedly ...
A good starting point is whatever the caliber of the firearm is....use that amount of powder....
a .50 caliber rifle....start with 50 grains of powder.
With that said....
You will probably find that your rifle will shoot best with 10-30 grains of more more powder.
So...
A .50 caliber rifle will probably shoot best with 60- 80 grains of powder.
( Pistols are bit different )

I use a powder measure...not any sort of conversion....buy yourself a new one and save yourself some grief.

What are you shooting...?
What is the caliber...?
And why are using 1F powder...?
Andy
Thanks, I will work with what I have.

Last Edited:
What is the minimum amount of 1F black powder that will send a patched roundball out of the barrel?
Well I can't speak for 1F powder as I have never had a need for it but one time I 'dry balled' my .58 Zouave and unscrewed the nipple, and little by little managed to get maybe a few grains of powder in the barrel through the drum, reinstalled the nipple, seated the ball and fired.

Rifle went 'plop' and the ball shot out about 20'.

Well.....so what..or good I guess.

I ask again...
What you shooting...?
What caliber is it...?
And why are you using 1F powder...?
Andy
50cal short inline. Picked up from a member who inherited it from his Dad.

1000003121.jpg

50cal short inline. Picked up from a member who inherited it from his Dad.

View attachment 1887591
Wish I knew it was a pistol from the get go...my loading suggestions would have been different.
60 grains either by weight or volume is a very stout and unneeded loading for a pistol.
40 grains might be a better and easier loading on the hands and gun .
Andy

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads