JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Memorial Day 2024. What better to load than .40 S&W 175 gr Silvertips with 7.5 gr W-540 (better known as HS6) coming out at 950 fps.... Happy ribs and hot dogs.

View attachment 1888991
Memorial Day is always kind of melancholy for me. Lots of vets in my family. They would want you to celebrate. All these years, I'm still not sure how to feel on this day off. Perhaps that is as it should be.

150 rounds of .38 40 for a SAA Cimarron, 1873 model. Experimenting with reduced loads for this gun and 6.6 gr. of Unique seems nice to shoot for newbies. 6.8 is normal with this pistol. 8 gr. for the '92 carbine.

Another day Another broken part on the LEE APP.

This time the press binds HARD on the upstroke. I've narrowed it down to a bent right post circled in the photo.

If I remove the internal bolt, it absolutely sticks within the die carrier assembly. The left post seems to move freely.

I am not at dead stop, but the force needed to move the handle up and down is ridiculous.

So not counting the volume of broken decapping pins, I have broken:

(2) shuttles (this is a weak design that will flex and eventually break over time.)

(2) shuttle springs.

(1) bottom rail assembly, but i haven't sent this for warranty yet as it's sorta working.

(1) bottom frame casting- the screw that holds the top rail on is stripped. LEE told me to drive a larger screw into it and self tap it. 😆 that's exactly how they tap these at the factory according to the rep.

I've been dumping time and effort into this because even when it works marginally, it's faster than a single stage and I can get into a rhythm of terrible ergonomics that seems to work.

This time I was trying to finish decapping my bucket of 38spl and 357mag, and made it 3/4 through before the press decided to lock up on me.

No amount of silicon lube would reduce the force needed unfortunately.

View attachment 1888997
Makes me glad I didn't use the Lee APP I came into possession of a while ago.

Loaded up 50 rounds for the 10mm's with the 200 gr Hornady HAP, 9.4 gr Blue Dot, RP 2 1/2 in new Nosler cases.
Also loaded 100 .223 rounds with 62 gr Hornady's, half with FMJ, the other half with BTHP, 24.5 gr TAC, RP 7 1/2. Going to test them side by side since I have had good success with the BTHP version, but wanted to see how close the FMJ can come. MidSouth has both, the BTHP run .18 each while the FMJ are .11. For killing paper and steel, I like the .07 savings, if they are accurate enough. 🤞

After weed eating the back yard I decided to make 100 of the 25-06 Hornady 117gr RN that shot so well in testing. I'll zero the scope to the load at 200 yds and then if I need a ready to go rifle it'll get'er done.

I have been forced to load these. Had them up for grabs and no one wanted them so down the pipe they must go.
Have a Rocky Mountain Reloading card on them.
180gr.

1000009166.jpg

Loaded up 50 rounds for the 10mm's with the 200 gr Hornady HAP, 9.4 gr Blue Dot, RP 2 1/2 in new Nosler cases.
Also loaded 100 .223 rounds with 62 gr Hornady's, half with FMJ, the other half with BTHP, 24.5 gr TAC, RP 7 1/2. Going to test them side by side since I have had good success with the BTHP version, but wanted to see how close the FMJ can come. MidSouth has both, the BTHP run .18 each while the FMJ are .11. For killing paper and steel, I like the .07 savings, if they are accurate enough. 🤞
I'd be interested in your .223 accuracy findings, including the barrel length/twist and firearm type.

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top