JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The second shot is really tight to load and I have to stop and swab out the barrel for the the third.
Rifling for modern firearms is too shallow for repeat shots with black powder / muzzle loading.
I have a theory that this is why even with the proper twist rate ..
Many modern muzzle loading rifles foul quicker than many of my antiques or a rifle with deep grooves.
Andy

The little rifle I just finished has an 18", 9mm barrel.
What thickness is your patch? I'm using a .32 cal. round ball with a .010 patch and 30gr of FFG.
The second shot is really tight to load and I have to stop and swab out the barrel for the the third.
Well, as you must know, my patch thickness would be useless to anyone without an identical barrel to mine. But for what it's worth, it's an Ox-Yoke pre-lubed patch at .020" thickness. This Green River barrel has very deep, aggressive rifling.

Patch thickness is very important. Compatibility with the barrel, ball and the load is sometimes a chore to finalize.

The greatest value I have found in muzzleloading is the transfer of knowledge to when later I began handloading for blackpowder cartridges. Trial and error sometimes goes on for what seems like forever...

...but when you hit on a load assembled out of each component that agrees with the gun, the rate at which the improvement happens is nothing short of astounding.

Top one is a pistol I made from spare parts.
The L&R lock was converted from flint to percussion.
The barrel is from an old rifle.
.54 caliber.
The hammer and side plate are antique.
Stock is hand carved maple.

The bottom pistol is from Belgium.
Circa 1840's.
Notice the "inline " percussion action.
Inline muzzle loaders ain't a new thing.
Brass barrel and action.
.36 Caliber.
Andy
IMG_3161.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show