JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I am glad they kicked the LEO loose we sadly are only going to keep seeing more of this. Hiring standards have been lowered all over, along with many who hire according to fill the correct boxes. The left and the war on Cops is getting them just what they asked for and again they will scream when they get what they begged for. Unqualified people in the job will lead to more really bad outcomes. :(

@WillametteWill looking forward to any comments you have on this one. I have my non-Leo perspective (seems to me like cop could have pointed gun at him and gave him commands to drop the gun etc) but don't know what it's like being a cop in that situation. Seems like cop saw a gun and freaked.
Hey, sorry, I wasn't ignoring you. I left for Scotland the day of your post and just saw this. It sucks. Worse for the guy who was killed and for the officer.

Officer's possible mindset. He is called to a situation where he very likely believes there is harm being done to a woman in the apartment. It would be safer to wait for back up, which was on the way, but he decides to risk his own life for a strange and make contact. (How often do we hear of officers getting bashed by the Monday morning quarterback about not taking action?) He loudly announces himself, he likely hears the guy inside acknowledge that police are at the door. The door position sucks beyond belief but I think there is a third option for a position back by the stairs; hard to tell but seems like a better position to be in after knocking.

Now, you have witnesses telling you there is a domestic situation going on where a woman is potentially in a dangerous situation, you have announced yourself, there is a delay, the person inside appears to know you're an officer standing outside, you are in a sucky tactical position because of the layout of the environment, the door opens and there is a man with gun.

Choose your adventure.

In the time it takes you to say, "Police, drop the gun" I can raise a gun and fire four or more shots. Action always beats reaction. There is no good answer. No winner. It just sucks. Again the MM QBs say he should have waited for back up. The next call the scenario ever so slightly changes and there is a dead woman inside the apartment when they make entry, because entry was not made soon enough. The only thing black and white in police work is the color of the cars. Everything else are murky shades of grey.

Thanks for asking for my thoughts.

Here is a shooting where the officer waited for the suspect to comply with his hands. While many don't understand how an officer can be so quick to respond to the sight of a gun, this is how fast the suspect was able to draw and shoot his gun from concealment.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qq3dXfzvdw
LEO had the wrong weapon in his hand and it cost him. After reading the story seems the LEO bought his own camera for work. Scum was caught and given 35 years. Real waste of tax money there.

Link to the administrative investigation report, if anyone is interested.

I understand that it's likely more prudent to disarm yourself when answering the door to LE, but it certainly isn't illegal in any way not to... and... in and of itself poses no "threat" to an officer. That doesn't really matter if you're already dead though, hu. :D

I would say there is ZERO fault on the gun owner though.

It kind of makes you think. I haven't had a firearm in my hand in the few instances I've encountered LE, but I do carry in the home and "have" answered the door to an officer while armed. It never even occurred to me to disarm myself for a simple encounter of unknown purpose.

Last Edited:
I assume the sheriffs department will be sued I wonder if the cop will be sued personally too?

You can blame the victim all you want that cop was 110% wrong!
There is zero doubt lawyers are already getting the papers together. The fired Cop will not have much if anything they can get. The Department will of course end up paying a settlement. Was the Cop "wrong", yes. Did the guy who died screw up BIG time? Also yes. A pay out will come along years from now but the one who yanked the door open with gun in hand will still be dead. The old saying you can be dead right comes to mind here. So to anyone who wants to do what the one who got shot did? Have at it. If you live you will be paid well if you really think its worth it. :s0092:

Maybe oddly, but my main take-away from this incident is not that I should immediately subjugate my rights out of fear and disarm myself making assumptions. IE., That the LEO is legit, there for a legitimate purposes and that I am obligated to open the door.

*To qualify that, I'm talking about a case like this where a person can think of no reasonable cause for a LEO to be knocking on their door.

My take-away? Never open your door without confirming the identity and intent of the person outside. Even if they claim to be LE you don't actually know that without calling in to verify... which you "should" do. Do your due diligence and slow down the encounter to allow for communication to occur on both sides before deciding on a course of action.

IE., If you confirm their identity, ascertain why they are there and feel assured there is no threat, you may choose to disarm. Alternatively, the LEO could be made aware that you are armed, plan to stay that way, but be assured that you pose no threat.

The nutshell: The guy was under no obligation to disarm himself, nor to open his door. If he hadn't... he would still be alive today. ;)

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top