JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^^This^^^

Don't be surprised at more and more large "primered" cartridges switching to small. There is no need for the larger sized primer in many loadings. I'm starting to see 10mm Auto with small primer pockets.

As for me, I hold on and load both. You have to sort them anyway, so why not just toss them into a storage contaier until you gather enough to fulfill your loading session's needs?
1 big reason.
Space, the final frontier of which I don't have any for what I use. Much less for what I may use.

Winchester pistol primers stand between other manufacturers primers in intensity. They are a bit "hotter" than the other major manufacturers standard primers, but a bit "cooler" than their magnum offerings.

Things like this, and that one company's standard is hotter or cooler than another's why every loading manual states to reduce loads and work back up in intensity whenever you change any components. Primers do make a difference in velocity and potentially accuracy, especially in highly accurate firearms.

Somewhere buried in my computer's hard drive is an excellent article detailing where all the major players primers stand in relation to each other. I'll see if I can find it, but I'm headed out of town for a couple of weeks so it may be a while.
Years ago in the Obumma shortage era I had the pleasure of speaking to Coy at CCI.
Someone at RCBS referred to him as the :primer Expert" and gave me his number.
Contributing editor for the Speer Manuel etc etc.
So I called him and he answered the phone. It used to work like that in the old days.
After he gave me a ten minute explanation he summed it up with if you care about accuracy and ignition use what the book calls for.
Left a lasting impression on me.
The small relacing large just baffles me.
Plus the fact I will never use all the large 45acp so I have no need for small.
On top of if you are running a progressive system trying to jam a large into a small hole wastes a primer and wasting a primer is just wrong no matter the size or availability.

On top of if you are running a progressive system trying to jam a large into a small hole wastes a primer and wasting a primer is just wrong no matter the size or availability.
This is the biggest frustration with different size primer pockets in the same cartridge size; they can be a pain to sort and really frustrating when you miss one.

Wow! Video?
What kind of Caveman are you.
😂
1718310842866.png

Along with the 300BO tools and supplies, I snagged (ordered) another jug of Camp Perry powder (aa2520).

With in the next week I am going to head into the danger zone and purchase some very old powder with little provenance. The price is decent and I will give it a sniff test and make sure it's not rusted, etc.

Starting tomorrow I am going to work on loading up some 300 BO subs with 240gr coated lead. I might even break out my fancy electronic powder measuring device.

RE : Sm v Lg .45ACP Brass

They started making small pocket .45 brass when LP primers were scarce and SP primers were abundant. Manufacturers realized it could be done and it was more efficient to share primers with small calibers.

It came about with the advent of lead free primers which where only made in small pistol and they decided it was more efficient to make all pistol brass small pistol than to make primers in both sizes.

As for the Winchester primers I suspect it's because you can run magnum primers in non magnum loads so why make both.

I suspect perhaps......that it's also a matter of :

Warehouse storage space (for the mfn)
Qty of scale....the cost of a larger production run(s)

Whatever. For ME, I only store and use .45 ACP in the large primer variety. My small primer 45ACP was disposed of a long time ago.

Aloha, Mark

Along with the 300BO tools and supplies, I snagged (ordered) another jug of Camp Perry powder (aa2520).

With in the next week I am going to head into the danger zone and purchase some very old powder with little provenance. The price is decent and I will give it a sniff test and make sure it's not rusted, etc.

Starting tomorrow I am going to work on loading up some 300 BO subs with 240gr coated lead. I might even break out my fancy electronic powder measuring device.
Wow, 240 grains? What are you going to shoot them through?

Sasquatches maybe? He does have a small cabin out in the boonies of South Central OR? Or meth-heads? buncha' them down there too I think? :D
Haha, I was referring to what platform though. I thought 240's would be a bit too long for an AR type magazine. Good to know that they would be good for a Sasquatch though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
  • Centralia, WA

New Classified Ads

Back Top